My plans for camp

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

My plans for camp

Postby VanEmmen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:32 pm

I am a virgin burner and look forward to the playa 2012. I have done much research and have come to a conclusion on the setup of my camp. I plan on camping solo, so total self reliance is my goal. For my shade structure I plan on constructing a 14 x 30 monkey hut per the posts I have read here on eplaya. I am camping in a coleman 8 x 14 dual room tent with zippered closures for all screened windows. Back room for sleeping.....going to keep it zipped tight when not in use to keep the dust down. Front room will be staging area for coolers...my bike when not in use...etc etc. I am seriously considering a solar panel set up with a solar battery for night time power so I can inflate my air mattress....blend margaritas....electric skillet....light up my monkey hut at night....and share power with neighbore. I have also extensively researched plans for swamp coolers and plan to use one of these to make my living space more comfortable during the heat. What I am looking forward to is any advice from veterans that will be useful.....I have open ears 8)
If i could only let this fire burning inside of me out...........
VanEmmen

Re: My plans for camp

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Sounds great, actually.

A request for "advice" after such a nice spiel is a little broad. You might want to ask more specifically, either here or in a thread about a specific aspect. :) What concerns you the most?
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm

A solar panel will not power an electric skillet. I'd get a propane camp stove for that. A propane lantern works well too.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby VanEmmen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:00 pm

No a solar panel will not power an electric skillet but a solar battery with a 12 VDC inverter to 120 AC will......thank you for the advice though....im going for renewable power sources.
VanEmmen

Postby VanEmmen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm

As to what concerns me the most......whether I should bring "goggles" and the chances of having LEO's f*** with me.
VanEmmen

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Electric skillets draw 1000-1500 watts. You'd need a 50 watt panel charging deep cycle batteries for 10 hours to get 30 minutes use of the skillet. I'd try your setup at home first to make sure it will work out. If not, an alcohol stove can burn on renewable energy.

Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Goggles are usually a must, yes. :) There a few folks who don't bother--Junglesmacks, who is some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production . . . too weird to live, and too rare to die--and Fishy (Fishy gets partial protection from her specs; that's why). But it's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and be miserable. Goggle vents should be covered/few/non-existent. Army Surplus stores are great; I like the $14-20 G.I. Sun/Wind/Dust goggles myself. Others prefer motocross/snowboarder's. Smoked or green lenses are helpful for daytime, because it's bright out and you might not be able to fit your shades underneath. A clear option is nice for night but not a must; there are occasional night duststorms, but most are in the day.

You are unlikely to hassled by law enforcement unless they can see (or smell) something illegal going on, so if you have any illicit inclinations or habits, don't do them, or don't do them in the open, or have anything illegal on you when you leave your camp. Law enforcement does have night-vision and cuddly undercover agents. Last year was fairly nice in terms of interactions with law enforcement, to hear most people tell it (except for the ones caught selling! Huge mistake. Nevada's drug laws do NOT screw around and there is no such thing as Medical Marijuana exemption in NV). Anyway, hassles were apparently few and predictable.

The Survival Guide has a page about how to interact with law enforcement. There's a lot to know with regards to your rights.
Savannah

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Savannah wrote:You are unlikely to hassled by law enforcement unless they can see (or smell) something illegal going on

Agree.They've got plenty to do without targeting people for no reason. Just don't be stupid.
Regarding the solar thing- anything that requires heat can usually be accomplished much more efficiently by fire (propane, coleman fuel, etc)
Save the solar/12v battery for the other stuff- fans, LED lights, evaporators, AA battery charger.
Oh... and welcome. See you there!
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:44 pm

weather man wrote:
Savannah wrote:You are unlikely to hassled by law enforcement unless they can see (or smell) something illegal going on

Agree.They've got plenty to do without targeting people for no reason. Just don't be stupid.
Regarding the solar thing- anything that requires heat can usually be accomplished much more efficiently by fire (propane, coleman fuel, etc)
Save the solar/12v battery for the other stuff- fans, LED lights, evaporators, AA battery charger.
Oh... and welcome. See you there!

I completely forgot. Welcome, and have fun on the playa!
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby MikeGyver » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I built a swamp cooler last year put tons of time into it making it work great at home, then never even used it when I got there because the only time i was in my tent was at night when I was sleeping. Not saying dont bring one, but I wouldnt suggest spending alot of time working on it (as a side note I live in southern california and go to the desert alot, so Im accustomed to heat, if your used to cold you might actually use yours more like ive heard some people cant sleep without one). As people have said with the skillet a 12v battery will not power it long enough to even warm its self let alone cook your food, but the battery will work for inflating your mattress and lighting your hut (youd have to check the amps your blender takes to know if it will run that or not, but I assume it wouldnt). Monkey huts are one of the best ideas ever, I plan to bring one this year after seeing how effective they were for other people. Other than that you seem pretty set.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:57 pm

(((MrP))) !!! Great to see you! You coming back this year? I am, and bringing 3 monkey huts this time.

Welcome to eplaya, VanEmmen. 8)

Goggles are a YES, even if you don't wear them. The $12 I spent on DeWalt shop goggles were well worth it as they fit easily over my glasses. I also made corrective goggles by popping old lenses into $3 swim goggles, but, never took them out of their case. Have something to protect your eyes.

Oh and FIGJAM invented the best face mask. 8) He is also the swamp cooler king, so, I'm sure he'll be along soon. :D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby monsta2ownzu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:55 am

Sounds good. I had a similar experience with a swap cooler as MrPotatomoto. Made a swamp cooler, didn't have much use for it. It was REALLY nice weather this last year and that may not be the case this year. This year I'm going foldable hexayurt. I feel like I got lucky my first time and with my luck it will be the hottest year on record this time.

Are you planning to hookup the swamp cooler to your car or what? Don't think the tent would do such a great job of keeping in the cool. I could be wrong tho.
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Postby VanEmmen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you for letting me know that the converter wont work for my electric grill/blender......I will invest in a decent stove or burner. So far as the goggles go I dug up a pair of tinted snowboarding goggles with no vents other than a foam breather near the top of the lenses....should work great during the day. So far as the swamp cooler goes I may need it if I do decide to sleep during the day 8am-2pm just in case I spend the whole night partying. Thank you all for your advice......I really like that chainsaw powered blender I saw though :lol:
VanEmmen

Postby Ano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 pm

The best advice I can give you, is this.

Expect your monkey hut to fall apart, your power to never work, your tent to mysteriously grow legs and disappear, and your bike tires to fall off.
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 am

there is no such thing as Medical Marijuana exemption in NV).

No, we do have medical marijuana exemptions in Nevada. If you're not from Nevada it may not protect you though and of course if a federal agent (BLM) pops you, you may get more than just a ticket....
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby inProgress » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Ano wrote:The best advice I can give you, is this.

Expect your monkey hut to fall apart, your power to never work, your tent to mysteriously grow legs and disappear, and your bike tires to fall off.

bing bing bing!

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:59 pm

We have a hand crank blender. Never get around to using it in the desert, too busy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Saguache » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 pm

VanEmmen wrote:I am a virgin burner and look forward to the playa 2012. I have done much research and have come to a conclusion on the setup of my camp. I plan on camping solo, so total self reliance is my goal. For my shade structure I plan on constructing a 14 x 30 monkey hut per the posts I have read here on eplaya. I am camping in a coleman 8 x 14 dual room tent with zippered closures for all screened windows. Back room for sleeping.....going to keep it zipped tight when not in use to keep the dust down. Front room will be staging area for coolers...my bike when not in use...etc etc. I am seriously considering a solar panel set up with a solar battery for night time power so I can inflate my air mattress....blend margaritas....electric skillet....light up my monkey hut at night....and share power with neighbore. I have also extensively researched plans for swamp coolers and plan to use one of these to make my living space more comfortable during the heat. What I am looking forward to is any advice from veterans that will be useful.....I have open ears 8)

My only suggestion a this point would be to set it all up and test it before you load it up and transport it to the playa. Once up you should look for parts and bits that may not work well in wind. The heat can be oppressive, but it's the wind that destroys camps. And thing that shakes, rubs, or rattles should be secured, stowed or left behind.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby VanEmmen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am

Yes, setting it all up before the trip is mandatory. Not doing so is like going on a hunting safari without test firing your rifle. An important thought though. Do I set up my monkey hut perpendicular to or parrallel to the wind. I think that perpindicular will offer the most protection. And if so does anybody know which direction the winds blow from? That way I can use a compass and this information to set up my hut.
VanEmmen

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am

The wind blows typically blows from south-southwest to north-northeast . . . from Center Camp out through the top of the clock, hitting the 9 o' clock side of the city a bit harder than the 3 o'clock side. Use your vehicle as a windblock, and build your monkey hut and tent north of the vehicle. You'll want any wind to strike the side of the monkey hut, indeed (as opposed to whistling straight through it). It's usually easy to see once you get there, because almost everyone who has been before orients their camp in similar ways. :)
Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Plans for camp?

Oh, sumpin like this I suppose.........

8) 8) 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:22 pm

You really are the king Fig Jam!!!

VanEmmen wrote:Thank you for letting me know that the converter wont work for my electric grill/blender......I will invest in a decent stove or burner.

If your just cooking for you, I'd recommend one of these cheap burners (burner not Burner, we're not cheap people).
Obviously the propane tanks are sold separately but they are cheap too.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 am

illy dilly wrote:You really are the king Fig Jam!!!

VanEmmen wrote:Thank you for letting me know that the converter wont work for my electric grill/blender......I will invest in a decent stove or burner.

If your just cooking for you, I'd recommend one of these cheap burners (burner not Burner, we're not cheap people).
Obviously the propane tanks are sold separately but they are cheap too.

Yep, yep, yep, Figjam rocks. 8)

That is the kind of stove I use and it works great once you have it sheltered from the wind.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:47 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Plans for camp?

Oh, sumpin like this I suppose.........

8) 8) 8)

That would freak me the fuck up if I woke up and saw that.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:39 am

The other option..........

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm

But the dark spots under your eyes are like extra sunglasses 8) and that way you don't need extra tinted lenses for your goggles.

FIGJAM really is that good. 8)

MyDearFriend

Return to Shelter & Camping