tarpaulinism

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

tarpaulinism

Postby dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 am

good morning burners im a virgin wannabe burner from the u.k ive been working with canvas and p.v.c since i left school i havn't got any experience or knowledge of the desert but i do have knowledge of p.v.c and canvas so if i can help any one i will give it my all :) x
you can open any door as long as you have the kay
dirty-roots

Re: tarpaulinism

Postby Misti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:23 am

What would be the best way to repair a hole in a tarp? The wind rubbed a hole in the tarp where it touched a corner of my RV and I don't want it to get worse.
Misti

Postby dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am

what sort of tarp is it? canvas p.v.c or the lightwieght plastic kind? the most accessible way to repair p.v.c and the lightweight plastic for the average joe s hot air and a pressure roller you will need a variable heat hot air gun tho and sumthing to practice on as it can be quite tricky if its the lightweight kind (tends to melt quite easily) ;)

if its canvas a sewing machine is best the old leather working machines work a treat for me ;)

i can direct you to sites with the tools you would need if you liked but depending on where you are you might want to find another source

roots :) x
dirty-roots

Postby dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:36 am

Misti wrote:What would be the best way to repair a hole in a tarp? The wind rubbed a hole in the tarp where it touched a corner of my RV and I don't want it to get worse.

also misti if you do buy your own hot air gun and repair the hole you could reinforce the other corners where the tarp is on the r.v. then next time it will be protected against rubbing another hole ;) x
dirty-roots

Postby Misti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:59 pm

It is one of the big silver on one side black on the other side tarps, maybe poly? Its a thicker plastic like material. The hole is in the middle from the storage box on the roof rubbing it. I would appreciate the links so I know what to look for.

Thanks
Misti

Postby dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Misti wrote:It is one of the big silver on one side black on the other side tarps, maybe poly? Its a thicker plastic like material. The hole is in the middle from the storage box on the roof rubbing it. I would appreciate the links so I know what to look for.

Thanks

http://www.plasticweldingequipment.co.u ... 16149.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080W-Plastic ... 814wt_1081

if it is poly it will be a bit of a pain to weld practice first on a piece of scrap if you can and keep the temp of the gun low n build up slowly also make sure you let the gun get to full temp as you dont want it heating up anymore while your welding and melting your tarp ;)

you want to use the flat head tip in the middle of the pic. the gun above has a roller included but shop around as you might be able to find one cheaper this was just an example for you :) just make sure it has a variable heat fixed will burn to hot too fast n melt your tarp!!

im not gonna lie its not the easiest thing to do but with a bit of practice you will be able to do it

hope that helps if you have any questions just fire away ill answer all i can :) x
dirty-roots

Postby Misti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks! I will look around and try it out. It will be much cheaper than buying another 30ft x 40ft tarp. :)
Misti

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:09 pm

This stuff works great for patching tarps.

http://www.sailrite.com/HH-66-Vinyl-Cement-8oz
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Misti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 pm

That stuff has a bunch of potential uses! Thanks
Misti

Postby dirty-roots » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:37 am

FIGJAM wrote:This stuff works great for patching tarps.

http://www.sailrite.com/HH-66-Vinyl-Cement-8oz

hey figjam ive never used glue i was never allowed in my job lol as i was told it will never last as long as a patch stuck on with hot air but i will definitely look into it always nice to be shown and try sumthing ive never seen :) x
dirty-roots

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am

It melts the pieces just like the heat method, without the heat! 8)

I made an entire tent out of billboard vinyl useing HH-66 instead of sowing the seams.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dirty-roots » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 am

FIGJAM wrote:It melts the pieces just like the heat method, without the heat! 8)

I made an entire tent out of billboard vinyl useing HH-66 instead of sowing the seams.

does it really thats fantastic ill look into it more hopefully i can get sum here in the uk!! thumbs up mate :mrgreen: x
dirty-roots

Return to Shelter & Camping