Reinforcing Cheap Party Tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Reinforcing Cheap Party Tent

Postby larsonfarmer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi, im looking to buy a cheaper tent, and kinda refurbish/reinforce/make it party worth.
if there is already a thread, please post a link.
if not any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
right now, im thinking to add pvc braces, and anchors, ducktape to line the inside and outside corners, and other possible tear spots. also contemplating adding more roof support to ensure the tent is pulled tight, and doesnt have any slack spots over the support beams(not so much for BM but other events where there will be more rain)
the cheap tent im planning on buying is 10x30, and my goals/intention would be to have a nice little pub like vibe, and or dancing, music playing, and general relaxing and refreshments during the day.(i figure 10x30 would allow plenty of space for these activities)

Thank you all so much in advance.
cant wait to see you on the playa!

Re: Reinforcing Cheap Party Tent

Postby remi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I found a 20x 30 and a 20x40 party tent in kijiji for 200$ each (usually they're over a grand.) Might not be a bad idea to check it out.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Get a quote from a local tarp maker or tent repair shop. Random patches in the walls and top you could do with nylon or treated canvas and Barge Cement as appropriate, but you might want corner patches done by someone with a heavy duty sewing machine.

PVC is brittle and degrades when subjected to heat and sunlight, not sure what you mean by "braces and anchors".
Amazing desert structures & stuff:

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 am

It seems to me that your problems would be two-fold. First, reinforcing as you suggest may get the structure strong enough to cover basic "nice" weather on the playa adds a fair amount of time, energy, and expense to the project. Second, reinforcing something flimsy with something else that can be flimsy doesn't really help a lot in severe weather. 2011 was an extremely unusual year in the good weather department. Friends who've been going to the event since the very start remarked that they've never had nicer weather at Burning Man. Normally, there are several dust storms in the 30mph range, and even a few in the 30-60mph range. It's not that unusual to get a rager with gusts over 60mph.

Over the years, we've had people camp with us who've used EZ-ups and party tents with a range of ideas for reinforcements, and invariably they end up spending a lot of time both setting up and then trying to keep their structure together throughout the week.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:14 am

False economy?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping