Transform Truck Bed into Shelter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Transform Truck Bed into Shelter

Postby Ozzy3421 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi All!

New burner here! I'm looking to convert the bed of my truck into a make-shift shed/shetler.

something along the lines of building a 4 post piller idea and then have some supports in the front, middle and back of the bed system to be able to stretch a tarp and reflective material as the roof.

Has anyone done something like this before? PVC pipe?, wood?, any suggestions are much welcomed!!!

Thanks!!
Lovin' Life
Ozzy3421

Re: Transform Truck Bed into Shelter

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 pm

You didn't say what kind of truck.

I use a lumber rack, often with a piece of ply on top and dropcloths stretched over, keep the coolers and loose gear on the truck, and use it as a windbreak for the tents & EMT conduit shade awning. Sleeping in the truck is unattractive for me because it would buffet in the wind underneath, and repacking for exodus might require an extra step or two.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby The CO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:51 pm

I've built a few structures like that, and seen some really cool ones at the burn.
If you build an A-frame sort of structure over/incorporating your truck bed, you could have a very nice setup.
The peak on the A-frame allows heat to go up; with a small exhaust fan you can vent it out. The sloping sides are good at shedding the wind, if they go all the way to the ground.

The structure I use for kitchen/tent space is nearly exactly that. 12' tall A-frame, 22' wide, 24' long. It anchors to an enclosed trailer. Holds 2-4 tents & it's held up 2 years now @ BRC.

As far as materials, it depends on how well you design/engineer it. Lumber is solid but heavy. EMT conduit is solid & lighter. PVC is very light, but you have to work it in a tension-structure.

The camo tarp A-frame in the lower left corner, behind the GP Medium tent. There's another version in grey on the right.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:50 am

Whatever ya do try to consider obtianium or flammabilty. If you use wood for your frame you can burn it to save gas on the way home to defaultia.

Bob is a genius so listen to anything he says.

Personally I dig buses and tents so I have nothing more to add.
BlackRockCityPimp

Return to Shelter & Camping