Possible shade structure???

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Possible shade structure???

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 am

Saw this for sale on Cabela's. Too flimsy for the winds?

Reviews are meh, but the price is good. If I only get two trips out of it, I'm okay with that.

[url] http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trekker8 ... l+Products
[/url]
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Possible shade structure???

Postby lemur » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm

you can build an as good (or better) shelter like that for $70 or less.

*edit.. and youll know it can withstand strong stuff cuz youd have built it
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Less but not muuuuuuch less when it's all said and done.

In the end as with everything, you're much better off buying the right thing the first time around and using it for 5-10x as long and getting better use out of while you're using it. Go with a Costco carport. Playa tried and tested and just about bulletproof as long as they're staked down right..

Do some searchy searchy and you'll see.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:19 pm

lemur wrote:you can build an as good (or better) shelter like that for $70 or less.

*edit.. and youll know it can withstand strong stuff cuz youd have built it

I am not particularly well skilled at building things, and as I'm flying in, I'm pretty limited in size and weight.

My plan so far has been to buy a good canvas tent, use something to extend the height of the poles a bit and use aluminet over the tent (with roughly 8-10 inches in between tent and net) for shading it. The tent has an awning structure, and I'm pretty comfortable that with proper guidelines and additional pole anchoring , I can get it to work. I thought this might save me some effort.

Are there any good guides to producing a light weight, packable shade structure? Most of what I have found has been too bulky or heavy.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:22 pm

VultureChow wrote:Are there any good guides to producing a light weight, packable shade structure? Most of what I have found has been too bulky or heavy.

Renting a box truck and camping/sleeping in it. Ready made shelter, transportation and living area.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby essjay » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:49 pm

VultureChow wrote:Saw this for sale on Cabela's. Too flimsy for the winds?

That thing might have survived this year (the calmest I've seen). Any other year, I would be surprised if it held up to the couple of big dust storms that typically blow through.

You could probably find a way to guy it down securely, but it would take some work. As stated already, spend some time searching this forum for build-it-yourself structures. You will find that for the same (or half) the money, that you can build something of equivalent or larger size that will withstand the elements, work better and last year after year
essjay

Postby essjay » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm

After second look, I'm not sure you could safely guy that thing down. It looks too light and flimsy for the playa.

You'd have to have all of the screens rolled up every time you left camp. Otherwise, they would just act as sails when the wind showed up.
essjay

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

essjay wrote:After second look, I'm not sure you could safely guy that thing down. It looks too light and flimsy for the playa.

You'd have to have all of the screens rolled up every time you left camp. Otherwise, they would just act as sails when the wind showed up.

Yeah the more I think about it, I think the way I was originally intending to do will be better. Aluminet over the tent with reinforced tent awning plus additional aluminet panel to provide side shade on awning.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:35 pm

As others have said, I doubt it would survive a serious dust storm. You could probably do a lot better - if you're trying to keep it on the cheap, go for a monkey hut, otherwise look into a conduit frame structure or getting a more solid carport (that you can then fortify).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Note that in the Cabela pic, probably taken in the mid-late afternoon, that the actual shade spot is outside the footprint of the gazebo. At noon, there might be enough shade for two or three people. Supports are too weak to drape more shade mesh or tarps from it, IMO.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

VultureChow wrote:Saw this for sale on Cabela's. Too flimsy for the winds?

Reviews are meh, but the price is good. If I only get two trips out of it, I'm okay with that.

[url] http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trekker8 ... l+Products
[/url]

Its on sale now for $65, it's good for that price. It looks like you can stake it down with line or cargo straps attached to higher parts of the frame to make it more wind resistant.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Danger is funny
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Assuming the poles are fiberglass...try wrapping each exposed part of the pole (so it can be broken down) with duct tape or Gorilla tape. pull tape, the length of the section and apply. The straps holding the hooks, i would reinforce with extra fabric or Gorilla tape. All of this done, of course, PRE-playa. I've used cheap screen canopies with good results, but never used one in a heavy dust storm...like the one that destroyed my EZ-up.

ive never tried the duct tape thing, except to repair a broken pole....so if you do tape it...make sure the pole is still flexible.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Return to Shelter & Camping