PVC piping and canvas

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

PVC piping and canvas

Postby ohmu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:28 pm

This year (my virgin year) my neighbour had a half cylinder structure using a bunch of arches made from curved pvc pipes fitted together, which acted as a skeleton for a big sheet of camouflage mesh (like a tent-sized ghillie suit). A few days after leaving the burn, I got into my head an idea for a similarly shaped structure that I want to build next year, but of course I never thought to ask my neighbour how he built his.

So does anyone have tips for constructing such a thing?
- I don't know where I would get curved pvc pipes, the hardware store near me only carries straight lengths of pipe. Are curved pipes common, or would I have to have them custom made?
- I don't know how to connect them together and reinforce the joints in a way that will resist the wind and prevent the thing from collapsing under its own weight.
- Instead of mesh, I want to use tarps or canvas (with holes slashed into them to let wind through, like I saw in a lot of camps), but I don't know how best to attach them to the skeleton.
- I want to have a section full of blankets and pillows that will be protected from rain (a removable tarp divider, and no side holes, obviously). Any tips for how to do the floor? Since it didn't rain this year (but am told it rained for a week straight prior to the event), I don't know what kind of volume of rainfall to prepare for. Does the playa ever flood to the point that it would spill up over the floor (or cause the floor to sink into mud under my body weight)?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if someone already asked and answered this in the past.
ohmu

Re: PVC piping and canvas

Postby lemur » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 pm

you curve it yourself, it is under tension..

you glue them and use fittings... depending on whether you need 100% weather shielding using small ball bungees in the grommets of a tarp works well..

plan for the worst expect the best.

it can rain enough to seriously ruin yer day.. aint nothin much worse than a wet grumpy hippie.

plan for downpours... freezing cold.. tons of wind.. white outs.. REALLY HOT.. etc..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby A Jester » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 pm

http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

Are you looking for this?
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby ohmu » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

aint nothin much worse than a wet grumpy hippie.

Yeah, I heard they react poorly to showers.

Thanks for the advice.

If I start gluing things together, what happens on tear down?

Monkey hut link

This looks like an excellent starting point, thanks
ohmu

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:20 pm

The Monkey Hut is exactly the kind of structure you saw. It's an easy to build and modify design, very popular throughout BRC.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:20 pm

ohmu wrote:
aint nothin much worse than a wet grumpy hippie.

Yeah, I heard they react poorly to showers.

Thanks for the advice.

If I start gluing things together, what happens on tear down?

next year's shelter is smaller...................
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:10 pm

DO NOT GLUE ANY PIECES TOGETHER!!!

Follow the monkey hut directions, it's a tried and true design. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby skibear » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:55 am

Monkey huts are great, cheap & easy to build. Save-Mart on Keystone in Reno even took the PVC & rebar
for recycling before I got on the plane.

The straight pipes bend naturally to a half circle. Just slip the ends over straight pieces of rebar
pounded into the playa. No glue needed. Tension & weight of the top fabric holds the pipes together.
guy wires are needed only on ends.

2 ten foot sections with a connecting joint curve to form a structure 12.7 feet wide at base and just over 6 feet high
in center. A 20 x 10 ft tarp for a cover works fine if you have 3 or 4 ribs. Larger ones are common for groups.

If your vehicle isn't long enough the sections could be cut to 5 or 6 feet etc but it will be a bit weaker with extra joints.

I found the gray electrical PVC to be cheaper than the white PVC for water - though last time the white one was cheaper.
Grey one has a joint formed on one end.

Only thing hard is figuring out how to close off one or both ends. Some leave the ends open and place it sidewise to
the wind.
hth
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Burning Since: 2002

Postby brodi wan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 pm

My monkey Hut worked great. it had a case of Scoliosis, but with some reenforcing it held wonderfully. They take no time to put up, as long as you do the cutting/measuring at home.
brodi wan

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Hamster Camp-- The Wisco

Postby A Jester » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:52 pm

As long as you're almost a year out and in the planning stage, take a look in here:
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=26890
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:44 pm

This was the second year for me in a monkey hut. This year I also used the grey pvc (although I sprayed it red, just cause).
I go a bit overboard with securing mine though. I added guy wires on the open ends. One to the minivan that acted like a back wall and then the other ran down to the playa in front of the hut.
I also ran screws through every connection point. Predrilled at home not only saved time putting it together it made it super easy to make sure every piece was where it was suppose to be.
You can kinda see the big spring clams around the front, those where for the blanket and tapestry that I'd use to close off the front of the hut and keep the morning sun out while sleeping.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby ohmu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Sounds like a done deal. I'm going to start building prototypes tomorrow. Thanks for the hexayurt link, but a dome/tunnel shape has special importance for me... I'm going to build an ohmu to live in :D

Can anyone answer my question about the floor vs. rainfall, and how much mud to expect?
ohmu

Postby A Jester » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I've never seen enough rainfall to make anything more than a relatively thing layer of mud. It gets real annoying to walk in, builds up on your shoes and starts to slowly turn them into really awkward platform boots.

But, no, you won't sink in or have any flash floods.

Rather, if that happens, just about EVERYONE will be screwed. If your body sinks, all the vehicles will sink, too. We'll all be stuck out there for a month and as long as we Bear Grylls our water enough to survive, it will be an awesome time.

A regular tarp, like you would use on any camping trip, is plenty. Most of the people in my camp just throw up their tents, their shade, and call it a day.

I don't think I've ever seen someone camp on top of a tarp, but I haven't really been looking.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
A Jester

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:16 am

A Jester wrote:I don't think I've ever seen someone camp on top of a tarp

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby A Jester » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:18 am

Is there a tarp below that tent? It looks like just playa to me.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
A Jester

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 am

There is a tarp under the tent and another one under the Monkey Hut.

Most of the car/windblock behind it is over the shade extension as well.
The car anchors the tarp (no stakes) and the tarp protects the playa from tire scars.
Sic Pup

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 am

We cut our pipes into 5' sections for transport in the Prius and they held up with no problem. On assembly they were slid into a larger diameter 30 inch long pipe with a screw in the center to keep the connector from sliding down the pipe.
We taped all the joints with duct tape (duck tape brand and it left zero residue).
For a floor we just used a canvas painters tarp and nailed it down around the edges with huge nails.
We did bring 10 extra feet of each size pipe just in case, but it wasn't needed.
The wind did bend 2 pieces of our rebar on Wednesday when the wind kicked up, which caused a slight shift in the curvature of the pipes but the monkey hut weathered it all fine.
The pieced pipes, taped joints, and canvas floor are all visible in this pic.

Oh yeah - those are possibly the most uncomfortable chairs ever made. Although great for the occasional nap, they were not very comfy to sit in, and a pain in the ass to get up from.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 pm

I put a canvas painter's tarp under my monkey hut too and it worked great, any spilled or overflow bath water (beer, ice melt, you name it) drained right through and dried fast with no mud issues.

My hut had 6 sets of legs and was 25 ft long. I used 70% aluminet as a cover. I knew nothing about camping this time last year and it all went together easy-peasy.

:D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby essjay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:09 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:I put a canvas painter's tarp under my monkey hut too and it worked great, any spilled or overflow bath water (beer, ice melt, you name it) drained right through and dried fast with no mud issues.

:D

That's a great idea. We had a plastic tarp under our dome and the biggest problem was pools of drink spills which became slippery, messy.
essjay

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I actually use vinyl tarps specifically so I can mop up any spills with paper towels and pack it out.

Then again I park a late model car over tarps and gently drag what I call my evap. pond over the tarp just in case I splash while washing.

It probably comes as no surprise that my wife called me picky today for commenting on her cutting leftover meatloaf for Sic Pup perpendicular to the way it was sliced. WTF, I'm the one that's going to have to piece together what's left to fit on my roll tomorrow at lunch. Sheesh, I already did the jigsaw puzzle thing on playa.
Sic Pup

Postby essjay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Sic Pup wrote:I actually use vinyl tarps specifically so I can mop up any spills with paper towels and pack it out.

Then again I park a late model car over tarps and gently drag what I call my evap. pond over the tarp just in case I splash while washing.

It probably comes as no surprise that my wife called me picky today for commenting on her cutting leftover meatloaf for Sic Pup perpendicular to the way it was sliced. WTF, I'm the one that's going to have to piece together what's left to fit on my roll tomorrow at lunch. Sheesh, I already did the jigsaw puzzle thing on playa.

Yeah, I guess a spilled OJ/vodka is moop that I shouldn't let get to the playa. Maybe canvas over vinyl?
essjay

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 am

essjay wrote:Yeah, I guess a spilled OJ/vodka is moop that I shouldn't let get to the playa. Maybe canvas over vinyl?

Sic Pup wrote:I actually use vinyl tarps specifically so I can mop up any spills with paper towels and pack it out.

I found that once the spill had filtered through that heavy canvas it left no trace on the playa underneath. I did use a bunch of paper towels, though, while I was there, but I stuffed them into a repurposed burlap bag with other burnables and tossed the whole thing in a burn barrel. Ash is easier to haul out.

Sic Pup wrote:It probably comes as no surprise that my wife called me picky today for commenting on her cutting leftover meatloaf for Sic Pup perpendicular to the way it was sliced. WTF, I'm the one that's going to have to piece together what's left to fit on my roll tomorrow at lunch. Sheesh, I already did the jigsaw puzzle thing on playa.

That's not picky, it's just common sense. 8)

Of course Graidawg was ready to murder me for unpacking & repacking the car... :shock:

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby ohmu » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:48 pm

I was considering using an old roll of carpet for the main eating/drinking area, so it would just soak up anything I spill, as well as collect crumbs nicely, and provide a soft dust-free landing for those who pass out.
ohmu

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 pm

MyDearFriend wrote: Ash is easier to haul out.

I've hauled ash many a time. :wink:
Sic Pup

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Careful of the old carpet. You want to make sure it wont shed lots of edging material.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby essjay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Careful of the old carpet. You want to make sure it wont shed lots of edging material.

Yeah, and be ready for it to weigh 5 times as much on the way home. They are nice to have because they collect a lot of crap, but they also get very heavy when they collect all that crap.
essjay

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 am

Sic Pup wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote: Ash is easier to haul out.

I've hauled ash many a time. :wink:

Folks might be willing to haul your ashes for ya dude :wink: just ask 'em.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:00 am

I take self-reliance to the extreme. I even thought of posting a picture of an island in the eplayan picture thread but figured it would be a joke for one and those are no fun.

To answer your other point, I will admit for a brief second I thought of replying "will you?" but that seemed too defaultia-like. I think more was accomplished by doing what I did and frankly it's what I would've done had I seen the thing myself.
Sic Pup

Postby ohmu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Extra weight on exit shouldn't be an issue, considering all the weight of food, water, and booze that I'd be hauling in but not out. But for the moop issue, maybe I can put tape along the edges of the carpet to prevent fraying? Or are there better ways I should know about?
ohmu

Postby Ano » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:53 am

Another Monkey Hut builder here. I anchored mine down with two guy wires to my car, and two guy wires on the side, with no additional pvcing or anything past the instructions. One of my T-connectors broke, and I held it together with electrical tape. Everything ended up fine. Great shade. Need to rebuild my T-connector, and maybe add more guy-wiring for safety. It made some nasty sounds in the wind, and there wasn't even that much this year.
Ano

Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping