Cleaning Kodiak canvas tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Cleaning Kodiak canvas tent?

Postby pchops » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:38 pm

First off, so psyched I listened to the recommendations on this board about Kodiak's canvas 10x14 tent, made a perfect week on the playa even more perfect(er) ;)
The tent footprint was well layed out, doors/vents were perfect for not letting in dust, though admittedly it wasn't a dusty year. Was big enough for a queen size blow up bed, few drawers, a table with 4 chairs and still room to walk around.

I've now been walking over the tent, still wrapped up for a few weeks and realize I should be cleaning it. Any advice? Don't have a lotta of space in SF, so can't put it back together inside or out, and even once putting it up, would simple white vinegar/water do the trick? Has anyone had it professionally cleaned? Was a pricey investment so want to make it last.

Thanks for any insight to what's worked/not worked for you.

Paul
pchops

Re: Cleaning Kodiak canvas tent?

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:44 pm

I tried clean canvas tent eplaya in google and got this:

Cleaning Canvas
viewtopic.php?t=11596

. . . which is not a bad start. Don't forget the sprayer attachment with vinegar. Know anyone with a yard? :)

I know what you mean about not having a lot of space to put this sort of plan into action. I have finished a third burn in the same tent without washing it. Then again, mine cost about $110.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tinomuypicante » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:37 pm

I have a Kodiak tent and a Springbar tent both 10X14, in a sunny day you should find in someone with a yard and a hose, don't forget the garden attachment for vinegar, (I actualy used the garden sprayer that served us as water heater and shower at the playa).
Set your tent up, wet it with water hose then conect garden spray attachmen with vinegar, let it have it full blast, wait few minutes and rinse full blast again till you feell/see it's is clean then let it air dry.
With a damp old beach towel and a vinegar spritzed on the floor inside I finished the cleanup. My grass and plants are green and healthy, no problem there. Did that twice the weekend after the burn.
Very important! LET THE CANVAS DRY COMPLETLY!! vinyl you can dry it up with a rag as you fold it
tinomuypicante

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Kostume Kult

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 am

RTFM.

What exactly do you expect vinegar to do?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby misfit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 am

put up tent, sweep out inside, close doors and vents, and rinse off out side. let dry. same ritual every year, with our kodiak.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Mr. Just Right » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Also don't forget to treat it again with water repellent. Like Kiwi Camp Dry. That's really if it needs a throughout cleaning.
I tried to avoid leaving my Kodiak exposed to the elements, monkey hut over main door with a tarp from that over the tent and staked to the ground. Worked out beautifully.
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
Mr. Just Right

Burning Since: 2011

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Three years for mine. 2008, 2010,2011. set up, rinse with garden hose inside and out, squeegee water (sweep with push broom) out of inside, let dry. It is as if new, everytime I break it out. Kodiak 10 x 10
chiefdanfox

Postby Undecided » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:15 pm

I purchased a Kodiak 10x10 for this year and loved it. Thanks for the tips on keeping it clean and usable next year :)
Chris (Undecided) | 2011 Dusty B'Owl | 2012 Sparklepony Express | Soundcloud
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:30 pm

pchops wrote:First off, so psyched I listened to the recommendations on this board about Kodiak's canvas 10x14 tent, made a perfect week on the playa even more perfect(er) ;)
The tent footprint was well layed out, doors/vents were perfect for not letting in dust, though admittedly it wasn't a dusty year. Was big enough for a queen size blow up bed, few drawers, a table with 4 chairs and still room to walk around.

I've now been walking over the tent, still wrapped up for a few weeks and realize I should be cleaning it. Any advice? Don't have a lotta of space in SF, so can't put it back together inside or out, and even once putting it up, would simple white vinegar/water do the trick? Has anyone had it professionally cleaned? Was a pricey investment so want to make it last.

Paul

Yup, this is our tent choice for 2012, with tent stove to cook on and keep warm in the big chill, we want our Birgin Year to be as lux and comfy as possible.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Kontradiction wrote:
pchops wrote:First off, so psyched I listened to the recommendations on this board about Kodiak's canvas 10x14 tent, made a perfect week on the playa even more perfect(er) ;)

Paul

Yup, a canvas tent is our tent choice for 2012, with corrdinating tent stove (some are built with stove tent flaps) to cook on and keep warm in the big chill, we want our Birgin Year to be as lux and comfy as possible.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Lady Macri » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm

I just contacted Kodiak (new flex-bow this year) and this was their response:

"I don't recommend the vinegar. Hose it down. Let it dry. You should be fine.

Aaron
Kodiak Canvas"

I wonder if it might affect the waterproofing? (which we definitely needed pre-burn this year!)
~Lady Mac
Lady Macri

Return to Shelter & Camping