Where are your favorite spots to set up camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Where are your favorite spots to set up camp?

Postby Lysergic » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Being new and ignorant of the potential vast sea of people and size of the playa, I was wondering where everyone liked to camp the best?

It seems like closer to the open playa/esplanade like around Mercury might be better than way out in the distant Sidna region. And it seems like being close to center camp is good for ice and coffee/tea, whereas being around the 2:30'ish area is good if you like loud house music and no sleep?

Any other advantages to certain spots, like the plaza's?
I imagine it is a first come first served type of scenario, but does that mean that say if you had to camp on Mars, would anywhere around its orbit be allowed?

Thx to all
Peace
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha
Lysergic

Postby stuart » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:04 pm

I got esplanade last year for the first time and dug the shit out of it, but it did take a lot of work and 'colored' the event more than any other spot I have had.

Never been on a plaza. Never been at 10 or 2 either. Way, way out has a super nice and mellow vibe. I am not sure I like 1 road back, seems very congested.
stuart

Cool

Postby Lysergic » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:19 pm

Im curious are most of the art installations between esplanades? What if anything is set up in all that open space betweem 10:00-2:00?
Lysergic

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:40 pm

To get a picture of the layout, at the main website search on "map"; look at Event Archives under "What Is Burning Man?"; and search on "aerial" in the Image Gallery. All the camping spots are fabulous, of course.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

heh

Postby Lysergic » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:57 pm

Those are some cool pictures, and I've seen the map layouts....But what im wondering is where you like to camp best based on whatever reasons....like what are the advantages/disadvantages to a 2:30 camp spot vs say a 6:00 spot.

My friend and I aren't bringing bikes so basically we don't want to be walking to hell and back just to go to a few themed camps or activities from our camp spot. Can you roll in and set up camp next to whatever theme camps you like best?
Lysergic

Postby Stormy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:13 pm

Near the porta potties, but not too near. Oh, and also not downwind of them, if that's possible.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Re: heh

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:22 am

Lysergic wrote:My friend and I aren't bringing bikes so basically we don't want to be walking to hell and back just to go to a few themed camps or activities from our camp spot. Can you roll in and set up camp next to whatever theme camps you like best?
No. There is reserved camping up on the Esplanade and on all three plazas. The only way to camp in those spots is to be a member of one of the theme camps there. The rest of the city is first come first serve.
Distance is not the only variable to consider. Is any member of your crew sensitive to noise? Then you want not to be near 2 0'clock and 10o'clock--those are the high noise areas. Ask at the gate/greeters. They may or may not know. Some people really like the walk-in camping beyond Cedna/the Abyss; it sounds like it's not for you. Whereever you camp--remember to get to know your neighbors and besides--it's all good.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: heh

Postby bushonk » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 am

Lysergic wrote:My friend and I aren't bringing bikes so basically we don't want to be walking to hell and back just to go to a few themed camps or activities from our camp spot.

Yes, you do. If you fork over the funds for a ticket and kick it all week at your camp cause you didn't want to walk through hell, you'll be kicking yourself when the week's done and you're just starting to realize how much you missed. Take some serious time to go the long way to where you're going, and you'll likely find that your destination (while likely spectacular) wasn't the highlight of your journey.
bushonk

Postby Tancorix » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:04 am

Another thing...if you are walking/riding back to camp, try taking the second or third ring roads back from the Esplanade. It's amazing what you'll find back there.
Tancorix

Postby Burp! » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:09 am

I personally prefer 1 to 3 blocks back from Esplanade. Esplanade is a little too high trafic for me, plus Esplanade camps tend to be expected to perform more so can be loud or bright. They got that placement for a reason.

So here's my nice to have list when selecting a spot:

1. Line of sight to the porta potties, so you can make a trek when the line is small

2. Near a fun camp or good group of people

3. Not near music based camps.

4. Not near high traffic areas, like Center camp.

5. Near Snow Cone or Ice Cream camp

That's about it. In the end you really won't know who you are next to until they setup. I wouldn't worry about location, "it's all good" as they say. Get as close to the esplanade as you can and some where between Center and 3 or 9 o'clock and you'll be fine.

NoFlash
Burp!

Postby midgetsonparade » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:44 am

If you want to be able to party all night I would go near the music camps. When it is 4AM and the city starts getting less busy the sound areas are usually the place to be. The only drawback(which personally I don't think is a drawback) is that fact that the music is going all night. If I were you, which I am not but still, I would find any way I could to get a bike. I've done it with and without one and I was much happier with a bike. Especially when I had to get ice and it was noon.

Oh yeah! One more thing. Burp! is right on the money with the exception of rule #3
:wink:
midgetsonparade

Postby stuart » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:54 am

My friend and I aren't bringing bikes

bad move
stuart

Postby Jus Say Ventura » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:55 am

I don't tell anyone where the best spot is because I don't want you to ruin it!
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)
Jus Say Ventura

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:50 pm

Good thing about the outer streets around 2:30 & 9:30 is it's deathly quiet by comparison with most of the city... no, really... and you don't need a bike to skip gaily over to the rave camps and back to yr RV (as if anyone sleeps)...

sorry, but you're all busted now...

Bob

Postby jbelson » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:31 pm

How about as far as sun? I'd like to camp where the sun is on the door of the camper in the am so that the shade structure will keep the camper somewhat cool in the am, and in the afternoon the sun will be behind us giving us more shade.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby stuart » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:29 pm

bring a compas
stuart

Postby blyslv » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:59 pm

Does the sun raise in the east and set in the west in the universe you have created?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:30 pm

We camped near the 9:00 keyhole, after requesting to be moved off of the esplanade. It was really pretty nice - a long ways to home after a playa night, but not too frantic. I've spent nights on the Esplanade, too... and i have to say that while that works, too, it's nice for me (having a very introverted side) to be able to get 'away' from people in the comfort of my own teepee.

That said, it was the only place I've camped, and i spent a lot of time behind center camp and at 7:00 ish and Esplanade.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

roger roger, over under

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:35 pm

We have always camped between 9 and 10 o'clock, at least one street in. I perfer to camp on the open playa, because I like the openness of it, don't like feeling all boxed in. My favorite year we were camped at 10'o'clock and child, we had the open playa, and a nice sized sound system and a drive in movie screen that you could see from way out on the playa. Oh lordy, that was a fun year. Comedy triple header with young frankenstein, blazing saddles and airplane....too much fun....
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby shitmouse » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:56 pm

always between 7:00 & 9:00, usually at about 8:00, then about 3 to 4 back.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby chickenfish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:59 pm

last year we camped at 9:00 and the outer ring, figuring we would be well out of earshot of the really loud camps, but close enough to go out to them, and lo and behold pinkys set up right across the street. Had a great time anyway.
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 pm

stuart wrote:bring a compas

No need... just use a Palm browser to link to the WiFi and d/l a javascript compass, solar angle ap, fuzzy-logic theme camp locator, not to mention a ballistics calculator for the poopship destroyer...

Bob

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:41 pm

When you come to Greeters station, tell them which camp you're with, and they will tell you where to go.
If you have nowhere to go, then a rule of thumb is: Outer rings for quiet space, inner rings for loud raving lunacy. Walk-in camping is also nice for quiet space, if you just need a place to sleep it off.

And don't camp near me if you've been up all night. Hee. I'm a morning person, and my energy peaks between 8am and 10am.

And what's wrong with camping near potties!?! This is a perfect opportunity for you to ADOPT A POTTIE CLUSTER and make the blue boxes your stage area.

(oh yeah, some folks don't like the scent.)
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby jbelson » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:10 am

I dont think I'll have room for a compas this year. What side of the trees does moss grow on out there? :wink:
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby midgetsonparade » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:16 am

jbelson wrote:How about as far as sun? I'd like to camp where the sun is on the door of the camper in the am so that the shade structure will keep the camper somewhat cool in the am, and in the afternoon the sun will be behind us giving us more shade.

Get a compass or know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. So point your door east.

Wait...did I mix that up? Or was it red morning sailors warning? Yar, alas
I am no longer sure of myself.
midgetsonparade

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:19 pm

East gives you the sunrise. Chilly pre-dawn breezes often come from the NE. The prevailing winds are mostly SW. Traffic & commotion from Center Camp, and noise from the far ends of the camp area, mostly oriented outward toward the "open" playa.

And the Greeters have always been happy to tell me where to go.

Bob

Postby shitmouse » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:29 pm

Bob wrote:

not to mention a ballistics calculator for the poopship destroyer...

your a WEEN fan? i like this guy.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby mackistan » Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 pm

shitmouse wrote:
Bob wrote:

not to mention a ballistics calculator for the poopship destroyer...

your a WEEN fan? i like this guy.
-b

yeah! WEEN! i love ween. listening to it right now. i must love you then to shitmouse.

i like walk in camp the best, it allows for the best "jokes", they never see you coming.
art is not a statement. it is a lie. art is one. art.
mackistan

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat May 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Jesus, this thread has been dead for seven years. Can't we kill them once and for all?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr Helix » Sat May 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Jesus, this thread has been dead for seven years. Can't we kill them once and for all?

I declare this thread officially dead after conferring with my associate Dr Pyro. Please move away from the thread and go about your business. Nothing to see here.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping