Best direction to park RV for lowest peak temps

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Best direction to park RV for lowest peak temps

Postby Neufusion » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:37 am

Anyone know the best direction to park an RV at burning man to have the least surface area exposed to the sun during the hours of peak temps?

Thanks,
Neu =]
Neufusion

Re: Best direction to park RV for lowest peak temps

Postby Phil G » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:47 am

Honestly I think its a crap shoot and not worth stressing about. But to answer I'd say peak heat is like at 3:00pm (guessing) which puts the sun a little in the SW so you could point right at it and that would probably present the least amount of surface to the sun, but I really don't think its going to do a damn bit of good, not to mention your feng shui is gonna be all wonky:) I think orienting in a fashion that best suites flow of your camp is the best idea, that and blocking some of that damn SW wind. I like to park with my driver side to the SW(ish) and being as I like to camp around 7:00 or so that still has my door opening to the Man and the street.

Cheers!

Phil
Phil G

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:55 am

Park the rv facing west.

The angle of the sun means the north side of the rv will have shade most of the day. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mzfit » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

May I suggest getting some cardboard from a big box store and making inside window coverings for your RV. Thats where the majority of the heat comes in from - so this helps keep it cooler as well as keeping light out so you can sleep in later in the day. I have done this the last 3 years and it helps a lot. Putting aluminum foil or reflectix on teh side facing the window helps even more. I generally park my RV to be the best windbreak I can for my tenting campmates and have never really paid too much attn to where the sun is hitting it from - so YMMV.

Have fun out there!

mzfit
mzfit

Postby Token » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 pm

Why that would be under the big Banyan tree of course, by the pool area.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:44 pm

That's on the island and you can't park there any more! :cry:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MrMullen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Putting Aluminum foil or mylar over the windows (On the outside) is going to lower the temp in the RV by a 100 factor over the best direction your RV is pointed. I did all of the windows in on our RV this year, and you could really feel the temperature drop as I covered each window. The one facing west toward the setting sun was too hot to touch between 3:00p and sundown until I covered it.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby ibdave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Neufusion wrote:Anyone know the best direction to park an RV at burning man to have the least surface area exposed to the sun during the hours of peak temps?

Thanks,
Neu =]

GO HERE and build what Mr. Figjam and other have built. I to shall be building one after seeing one in our camp work super. 8) 8) 8)

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&start=1170
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Canoe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:48 pm

MrMullen wrote:Putting Aluminum foil or mylar over the windows (On the outside) is going to lower the temp in the RV by a 100 factor over the best direction your RV is pointed. I did all of the windows in on our RV this year, and you could really feel the temperature drop as I covered each window. The one facing west toward the setting sun was too hot to touch between 3:00p and sundown until I covered it.

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=42688
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 am

You'd probably want to aim the RV facing in the direction that the sun sets, which would give you the smallest profile. If you were able to get it spot-on, you'd keep the sun from hitting (and heating) the sides hard all day. Then follow the advice above for covering the windows with something reflective, so that you reduce the impact of the sun hitting the RV in the afternoon/evening. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:43 am

We found that we would have been more comfortable with the RV parked to block wind from the south. The winds from the north seemed much milder.

For keeping the inside cool we just used frog tape and reflectix (reflectix is an insulation that looks like metallic silver bubble wrap) to cover each window, roof vent, and skylight tightly. We covered them on the inside - they say the outside works better, but its harder to reach and more of a chance of the wind taking it away. We taped only onto the metal or plastic window frames to avoid damage to the paneling. It lowers the inside temps drastically. Dont forget to do the windshield and door windows as well. The drawback to this was it was blindingly dark if you walked in from the sun until you got the lights on, but it stayed comfortable well past 11 AM and we did not need to run the AC all week.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

When I parked sunday night, I did'nt set up anything.

As the sun was peaking over the horizon, I pointed the truck right at it.

I would do the same with an RV, but park with the entry door on the north side as the angle of the sun will leave that side shaded most of the day.

I would cover all the windows but one small one on the north side for a little light. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Canoe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Drawingablank wrote:... we just used frog tape and ... metallic silver bubble wrap) to cover each window, roof vent, and skylight tightly. We covered them on the inside ... We taped only onto the metal or plastic window frames to avoid damage to the paneling...

Huge improvement if the wrap covers metal window frames.

Check out viewtopic.php?f=277&t=42688
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Forgot.

And is taped to the wall to prevent air convection.

Use low-/no-residue painter's tape.
Canoe

Postby daft » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Wind and Sun are my personal issues as I prefer to shelter myself from both ( given I like afternoon shade), but the sun goes east to west and the wind comes from the south or sometimes from the north. And, yes I am easily confused as to how to line the moho up.
daft

Postby Packoderm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:04 pm

I built a shade structure to go over my motorhome. It helped keep it very cool, and it helped keep the dust down.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Token » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

I park the RV to deal with the wind. That is the highest rated nuisance element out there.

Heat & Sun, I run the AC as needed.

But for anyone inclined, the US Naval Observatory does provide tools on sunrise, sunset and solar azimuth for every geographic location and date in the US. Trouble is you need more than remedial math to figure out what to do with all that data, an' I ain't doin' yer homework!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby unjonharley » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I always try to park east west.. With the tail a little to SE and back to the south..

The plan is to have some good morning sun to warm the shade and less sun in the shade in the afternoon.. Side walls make wind traps that knock shade structures down.. This year the shade will have a wind release in the top.. That should cut down on the (wind) wipe on the canvas..
unjonharley

Return to Shelter & Camping