What to do with a yurt post-burn

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

What to do with a yurt post-burn

Postby 23e » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey guys, this is going to be my first year at burning man, and I was thinking of building a hexayurt. I've ingested enough building instructions and videos to have the concept down backwards and forwards, and I think it would be awesome to have one to share with my friends!

Only issue is, I'm flying into SF, and picking up materials there. No biggie for the setup, it will just take longer/more care on playa, BUT I'm not sure what I would do with the yurt post burn! I certainly can't fly it back with me. Is there a place that would be interested in having the materials? Someone in the area that would like to take it? (I could probably supply the car straps e'll use since I wont need those either).

I don't want to build a yurt if my only option is to dumpster it before I fly back, as that would be incredibly unresourceful!
23e

Re: What to do with a yurt post-burn

Postby ConnieH » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:43 pm

In the severe off chance you couldn't find anyone to take it off your hands on the playa, for heaven's sake don't dumpster it! Donate it to one of the local charities in one of the towns you drive through. Many charities will take building supplies, even if they look at it as just insulation, it's worth something to someone. My guess is however, you'll find someone before it comes to that ;-) If you are anywhere near 5:15 and D, I'll take it!
ConnieH

Postby playa hanjin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Hey Connie,

Are you looking to pick up a hexayurt? Because I'm considering selling mine after the burn (it's the first I've built).

It might not be the best yurt ever, but would you be interested in buying / receiving as donation? If so maybe we could arrange a stop-by during the event and potential pack-up as you leave. I'm planning on leaving shortly after Temple burn.

It's an 8" semi-folding (packs into a 4x8 footprint for transport).
playa hanjin

Postby 23e » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 pm

I've been PMed by a camp who would like to take my yurt after burning man, so please no more inquiries; perhaps use this thread for others that may have the same issue?

Peace and love,
23e

Postby betzle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I will take an extra yurt from anyone who needs to gift theirs to me, just in case anyone has that need ;). Will be in a large RV back to Portland, so space probably isn't an issue.
"There are two mantras: yum and yuck. Mine is yum." - Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker
betzle

Postby slvrnmph » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Please make sure to cut the panels and seal the edges with of all the panels, even the uncut ones, with tape before you get to the playa. Cutting the panels creates tons of MOOP and there is no way for you to keep that MOOP off the playa unless you are cutting those panels inside a fully enclosed box truck you will get some nasty MOOP on the playa and that is not very cool.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ConnieH » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm

playa hanjin wrote:Hey Connie,

Are you looking to pick up a hexayurt? Because I'm considering selling mine after the burn (it's the first I've built).

It might not be the best yurt ever, but would you be interested in buying / receiving as donation? If so maybe we could arrange a stop-by during the event and potential pack-up as you leave. I'm planning on leaving shortly after Temple burn.

It's an 8" semi-folding (packs into a 4x8 footprint for transport).

Thanks for the offer! I already have a hexayurt, so I'm not interested in buying anyone's, but if anyone is considering trashing theirs, I'd certainly take it! I don't *need* another yurt, I'd keep it for spare parts or more probably gift it to one of my campmates and transport it home for them...there may be many more worthy out there to take a donated yurt, however, consider DPW or the like, I just don't want to see anyone toss those expensive panels in a dumpster. That would make me cry :cry:
ConnieH

Return to Shelter & Camping