What are you going to sleep on in your tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: What are you going to sleep on in your tent?

Postby lemur » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:57 pm

this is what i did this year..

doesnt look like much!! but, it was AWESOME..

i 'upgraded' to one of those fancy Therm-a-Rest pro self inflating sleeping pads and wow it was the comfiest year ive had on the playa.

it is a bit skinny.

so, at chill time i would put clothes along the sides to cover the floor and beef up the padding so i didnt feel like i was 'falling off'.. it worked great... of course theres a sleeping bag involved but it was so warm this year i rarely needed it.

surely better than the closed cell foam pads ive been using in previous years.. plus it packs down smaller.

if you pack light and sleep in a little tent i dont see how you can do much better than one of these fancy thermarest type of self inflating things.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Savannah wrote:I feel weirdly close to you, just knowing you have the same cot. :lol:

Too funny! :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
Savannah wrote:I feel weirdly close to you, just knowing you have the same cot. :lol:

Too funny! :D

If you two start having the same dreams, I'm going to find it very creepy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby deutlich » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:01 pm

How have people fared that just sleep in sleeping bags vs. cots?

Do any of you elevate your sleeping arrangements if you're using a sleeping bag?
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 pm

deutlich wrote:How have people fared that just sleep in sleeping bags vs. cots?

Do any of you elevate your sleeping arrangements if you're using a sleeping bag?

Try to elevate when possible.

I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag once. I think I was damn near paralyzed. After that it was always a cot or a vehicle.

If you can bring a hammock frame - that'd be the way to go.

Providing you have a hammock also.

Otherwise it'd be silly.
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby maryanimal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I slept on a queen-sized air mattress that pumped up about 20" high. I had sheets, an open sleeping bag on top of the sheets and a comforter on top of that. I slept so good. Better than my bed at home.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby trilobyte » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Pani and I have a full size mattress in the back of our van, topped with a comforter that's minky faux fur on one side, silk on the other.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 am

Reminds me there might be some confusion for some readers. In American usage, a camping "cot" is something like this:
http://www.rei.com/product/772536/byer-allagash-aluminum-cot
http://www.rei.com/product/769019/liberty-mountain-swedish-folding-cot

Usually doesn't come with a pad or bedding.

On top of a cot you'd use blankets or a sleeping bag. Night temperatures can get near freezing.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 pm

thermarest on a cot. my best so far. Started out ten yrs. ago camping with an inflatable pad... shaped like these, but more heavy duty, the rubberized canvas type. very comfortable on the ground.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby deutlich » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Totally appreciated!

I've got to really figure out what sort of usage I plan to get out of each piece of gear I get. At the moment, I have not an iota of camping gear (save for a water bottle) 'cause whenever I camp, I just borrow all the stuff.

But I really want to do more of it (especially now that the fall is here) and I think the reason I haven't gone as often as I'd like is because I lack the gear. I need to be reasonable in purchasing stuff (I tend to go overboard), but I don't want to skimp just for the sake of it either. I'd rather plan early enough & save so it's affordable. Plus, lots of big sales comin' up!

I'm going to ask all the local burners I know how they get all their stuff over there and keep those costs in mind too. I'll have tons of vacation I can use next year, so technically I *could* drive -- AND OMG HOW COOL COULD THAT BE?! -- but I know I'm going to love driving to it and absolutely hate driving from it just from being so damn worn out.
deutlich

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:02 pm

deutlich wrote:Thanks everyone for your input. Totally appreciated!

I've got to really figure out what sort of usage I plan to get out of each piece of gear I get. At the moment, I have not an iota of camping gear (save for a water bottle) 'cause whenever I camp, I just borrow all the stuff.

But I really want to do more of it (especially now that the fall is here) and I think the reason I haven't gone as often as I'd like is because I lack the gear. I need to be reasonable in purchasing stuff (I tend to go overboard), but I don't want to skimp just for the sake of it either. I'd rather plan early enough & save so it's affordable. Plus, lots of big sales comin' up!

I'm going to ask all the local burners I know how they get all their stuff over there and keep those costs in mind too. I'll have tons of vacation I can use next year, so technically I *could* drive -- AND OMG HOW COOL COULD THAT BE?! -- but I know I'm going to love driving to it and absolutely hate driving from it just from being so damn worn out.

Oh oh oh your first stop off the playa should be Reno, to shower and eat and sleep in a real bed 8) that's what we did last year and then I went on for 10 hours the next day no problem. Just don't do it all by yourself. Cheerful companions really help!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby Savannah » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:18 pm

4 Burns in a sleeping bag + air mattress; 3 Burns in a comforter on the linked REI cot w/ foam mattress. And I find that I love, love, love sleeping elevated. This, and a tent I can stand up in are my favorite comforts.

You can also stuff a bunch of things under a cot, and eliminate a little of the tent madness.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Oh oh oh your first stop off the playa should be Reno, to shower and eat and sleep in a real bed 8) that's what we did last year and then I went on for 10 hours the next day no problem. Just don't do it all by yourself. Cheerful companions really help!

I do primarily agree with MDF with one small exception - I feel the first place to stop is in Nixon to get Indian Tacos.

Imagine taco fillings piled high onto the substance known simply as "fry bread"...

I firmly believe that it has such a simple name due to the fact that the indigenous peoples actually received the recipes from the "old ones" prior to their slumber beyond the stars and that if they speak the name it will awaken the priest Cthulhu from his slumber in R'yleh.

I might be wrong...

But I don't think so..

But it is that good...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Ive used a coleman queen sized air mattress nearly every year on playa. This year I figured out the perfect way to make it as comfortable as possible for me.

1) I fully inflated it and if it was not fully inflated when I tested it before getting in bed I took the time to top it off.

2) I bought a foam pad mattress topper and used it. This entirely prevented the situation where you freeze your ass off due to the air mattress sucking all the warmth out of your body when the outside air gets cold.

3) I used a sheet over the whole thing and it held everything in place quite nicely.

4) I made my bed with all the blankets I had and then folded nearly all of them to the side in a sequence where I could pull one of them at a time over me if I needed more. I also folded one up in the foot area of the bed and it was awesome having the little bit extra there. I use the standard sheet over the bed in non sleeping hours to prevent extreme dusting of the bed.

5) I put a travel trailer around my bed. This really helped keep the dust down and moderated the temperature and light a bit.

6) I had a nice cuddle partner one night and this took the bed from awesome to very awesome.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby essjay » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:29 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
5) I put a travel trailer around my bed. This really helped keep the dust down and moderated the temperature and light a bit.

Does this mean you put your air mattress in an RV?

If so, I would say that this was the greatest contributing factor in your comfort.
essjay

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

essjay wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:

Does this mean you put your air mattress in an RV?

If so, I would say that this was the greatest contributing factor in your comfort.

Yeah I did put my air mattress in my no heat no AC travel trailer. From my experience(8 burns and multiple camping trips) with my air mattress in tents, box truck and now RV-- The single most important improvement ever was adding the mattress pad to the top of the air mattress. Ive slept on it with and without in my trailer and it makes a vast difference. The trailer was a very nice addition to my camp this year though.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Gawd...at first I read "farted" and immediately thot fart production is the same whether you're in a bag or on a cot...but the dissipation factor is greater on the cot...nevermind...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby deutlich » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:03 am

dragonpilot wrote:Gawd...at first I read "farted" and immediately thot fart production is the same whether you're in a bag or on a cot...but the dissipation factor is greater on the cot...nevermind...

Hahaha - Now I wish I *had* asked that!
deutlich

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:51 am

What about a tent full of inflated blow-up dolls? You could invite someone in, and then pull back the covers to reveal the pile of "bodies" that make up your bed. THE HORROR.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Used to have c.1960s Eddie Bauer cots. Canvas, insulated underneath with goose down. Comfy.

Bob

Postby deutlich » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:07 am

Prior to reading this thread I hadn't even thought about sleeping elevated, but now that the idea's been sparked I can't get away from it. I'm still waffling on tent vs yurt but either way I'm bringin' some carpet scraps for out and inside, then using a cot for elevation and extra storage underneath. Keepin' my eyes peeled for all the upcoming holiday sales. Bet I can get a lot of this stuff for reasonable prices and Birthmas is coming up! (My 30th is the day after Christmas).
deutlich

Postby Nipple » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:29 am

Yurts + Cots = <3 Forevah...
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ambird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 am

lemur wrote:if you pack light and sleep in a little tent i dont see how you can do much better than one of these fancy thermarest type of self inflating things.

This is what I used, and I slept like a rock all week.

We also brought an inflatable air mattress, but the power inverter we brought didn't work with the plug-in pump. Oops! Sure glad we had a backup plan.
ambird

Postby Boijoy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I use one of these with a nice self inflating camp mat on top. Im a "full figured" gal & it works just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Roll-A-Cot/dp/B0016LSR0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318462604&sr=8-1
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby late » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:58 am

Thermarest self inflating camping pad. Even the Ms. likes them and she's a total bed snob. You have to blow into the pad just a smidge after it self-inflates to get it just right, but you can have it as hard or soft as you want. Highly recommend. A bit expensive but they've already saved us on rebuying air mattresses.

For like 10 years it went like this.

Get a new midrange inflatable mattress. Take it camping. Sleep decently. NEXT year, go to BED on an inflatable mattress, wake up after 2 hours lying on the ground. THIRD year, THINK you have the dang thing patched. Go to bed on inflatable mattress, wake up in an HOUR on the frickin ground. NEXT year, buy yet another friggin mattress. REPEAT.

I'm SO never getting one of those again lol.

--Alex
late

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 am

I find cots hard as rocks, which is fine for napping, but impossible for real sleep, or twosome sleeping.

Self-inflaters are awesome alone, throw a memory foam topper on top and they are plush as can be.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 pm

AntiM wrote:I find cots hard as rocks, which is fine for napping, but impossible for real sleep, or twosome sleeping.

Self-inflaters are awesome alone, throw a memory foam topper on top and they are plush as can be.

I don't think I would enjoy standard cots without give or padding . . . they look so unforgiving . . . but a cot that comes with it's own several inch thick mattress and a little give (springs and stuff, instead of nylon pulled tight) is nice.

If I ever camped à deux, I think I would have to give in and do a self-inflating mattress or standard mattress.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Milayna » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 pm

After much thought and reading many threads about this, I've decided to splurge and go with Savannah's REI cot. The reviews are awesome, and I just don't want to deal with an air mattress, but feel like a sleeping pad might not be as comfortable as I'd like. The cot is a little pricey, but I see it as an investment in my comfort and sanity out there :D
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Boijoy wrote:I use one of these with a nice self inflating camp mat on top. Im a "full figured" gal & it works just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Roll-A-Cot/dp/B0016LSR0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318462604&sr=8-1

That with a blanket or bedspread over the top, tucked so it doesn't shift around, works well. Creates a dust-protected space under the cot too.

Bob

Postby Herring » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:52 am

I have no luck with air mattresses, so this year we're bringing this:

Click for description

It's made of foam so it weighs maybe 10 lbs, folds into a couch and fits easily in the bed of my truck with all the other gear. I got it second hand from a girl moving out of her dorm, but in my apartment it soon became the dog's couch and now it lives in the garage (man cave). I'm really excited about making it my new camping bed, after years of not being quite sure what to do with it.

If you don't mind bulky gear and like something like a mattress, I reccommend it. Keep an eye out for these on Craigslist, especially when the college kids move out in May.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping