Shade corner post?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Shade corner post?

Postby Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:55 pm

So, I just got some 3/4" galvanized steel, 3' pipe (with joiners). Using 2 for each corner, with the rest of it anchored via my geodesic some (from Shelter Systems). I've got stakes and 550 paracord to guy it. Does that sound like it'll hold up reasonable well?

Funny thing, Home Depot didn't have any of that orange streamer stuff to tie on. Mabe I just did a bad job of describing it to them.
Drizzt321

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Shade corner post?

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm

I use regular rope, not paracord. I think you are looking for surveyor flag tape. But it could tear to moop in a week of wind.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Ah, yea, that sounds right. I've heard some people say to use it, but as you say, after a weeks worth of wind it could become MOOP. Any better ideas for marking ropes/cords?
Drizzt321

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I use regular rope, not paracord. I think you are looking for surveyor flag tape. But it could tear to moop in a week of wind.

They use it on the freeway, speeds circa 60 mph. ;) Good simulator I think.

When you buy something from Home Despot they give you a piece of plastic material to mark your load. That's free with purchase. ;) Plenty of fabric remnants available however - time to decorate and innovate!

Consider guying the opposite side of your dome if you're depending on it to hold your tent. I don't know the dome, maybe it's sturdy?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Trishntek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 pm

You can buy it at Harbor Freight. Flagging is made to be durable in exposed conditions. The only way it becomes MOOP is through negligence. It works extremely well for marking guy lines. I use orange and pink (of course).

If you are framing shade netting, 550 paracord is sufficient. If you are framing tarp, use 3/8" rope.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll just visit the local fabric shop for colorful scraps :)

Yes, it's 80% shade cover. I was planning on guying my some as well, although it is pretty sturdy. As part of their 'playa package' page it shows one of those camping dome tents, taking a beating from the wind, and their some in pretty good shape. It's actually sorta a geodesic dome, external frame, with reinforcing itself by being under tension. Tensegrity I think is the term they used. I have candy-caned rebar to die & guy the dome down, guying, and to guy the corners. Plus a couple of straight pieces to physically tie (or put the poles over) for the corners to help keep the poles straight.

Guess I'm sorta over thinking/doubting myself some, since this is my first time.
Drizzt321

Return to Shelter & Camping