Camping advice pls!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camping advice pls!

Postby charanya » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Since this is our first time, we decided to camp independently because I dont know how the theme camps work.
We are not planning to come in until thursday as I have to wait for my friends who are flying in from Singapore.

BUT, yesterday I figured out that cars are not allowed till walk-in camps and it sounded like its good distance from the parking lot. Does anyone know how far it is? Will it be easy to carry all our goods from parking lot to the walk in camp site? I am so overwhelmed after reading this. Now I dont know what to do.
Feeling lost :(

I am not sure if anyone wants to include us in their themed camps and take us under their wings.

Can anyone advice on what we can do? Our group has 4 ppl and none of us have any BM experience. I would really appreciate any help/advice!
charanya

Re: Camping advice pls!

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 pm

The "Walk in camping only" portion of the city is off to the side, and more isolated. It's for people wanting more of a isolated camping experience.

There are parts of the city that you can pull your car in to, it will most likely be on the outer rings of the city, but you don't have to park your car and haul all your shit.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby charanya » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Oh really! I thought that "no theme" camp meant that I HAVE to camp at the walk-in camp site. This is good to know.
Thanks!
charanya

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 pm

The walk in camp is along a road. So you can drive up, unload everything in a pile then park. I think if you look on the satellite photo from last year on gigapan http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/66285/ you can see it outside the outer road about 4:00. A kids red wagon is useful too, and you can tow it behind your bike getting ice. That area is also the least dusty. If you camp out there, you should meet the airport camp and crew.

I think you would enjoy getting there early and finding a spot further in, saving a place for your friends if logistics work out.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

charanya wrote:Oh really! I thought that "no theme" camp meant that I HAVE to camp at the walk-in camp site. This is good to know.
Thanks!

Most of the space is open camping. You find an open space, park your car, and camp there. If you look at the gigipan most of the outer streets are open camping.

Walk-in is for people who want to be away from all the hub-bub.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:11 pm

charanya, I would urge you to avoid Walk-In Camping your first year. It's not necessary or advisable for the inexperienced. It's truly far away.

Instead, camp on the outer streets (For example, H, I , J, K & L Streets are more likely to have space later in the week), avoid purple theme camp areas on the map you'll receive when you roll in, and talk to your neighbors before you set up camp just to avoid any misunderstandings. Potential neighbors might also be able to clue you in about any large raves that are especially close and might keep you up at night (more than usual, anyway).

Have you read the Survival Guide?
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby charanya » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks all.

Staying at the walk in camp site is not my first choice. But I thought that was my only option. Now I know better.
We will make sure to check with neighbours before pitching a tent. And I have read the survival guide over and over again for past 4 months. I have a check list too (so proud of myself :))
It doesnt make me any less overwhelmed though :(

"The experience of survival is the key to the gravity of love" - Enigma
charanya

Postby Elderberry » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Ya, definitely...just drive your car/truck whatever right up to any spot not reserved for theme camps. The only place cars are not allowed to park is in walk-in camping.
charanya wrote:Oh really! I thought that "no theme" camp meant that I HAVE to camp at the walk-in camp site. This is good to know.
Thanks!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Hell, you can even camp in your vehicle.

This year, my bus will be PART of my shade structure.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:57 pm

charanya wrote:Thanks all.

Staying at the walk in camp site is not my first choice. But I thought that was my only option. Now I know better.
We will make sure to check with neighbours before pitching a tent. And I have read the survival guide over and over again for past 4 months. I have a check list too (so proud of myself :))
It doesnt make me any less overwhelmed though :(

"The experience of survival is the key to the gravity of love" - Enigma

It's NORMAL to feel overwhelmed. It doesn't mean it's not meant to be. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gaminwench » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Here is the map of our city for this year... the shaded areas are reserved for placed, registered theme camps; the rest is open camping.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/maps/11_maps/

this will be my 12th year, I still get overwhelmed...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby The Bee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 pm

gaminwench wrote: the shaded areas are reserved for placed, registered theme camps; the rest is open camping.

To be a bit more specific, much of the shaded area is reserved. Some of it is open. Usually, reserved space for theme camps is flagged, but the roads are flagged too, and it's confusing if you get there early. Generally, it's not a problem, especially if you ask your neighbors.

burningman.com/preparation/maps/11_maps/ wrote:The light blue shaded areas do not specify, but rather approximate where you will find reserved-placement, interactive theme camps. (We’re holding some prime space for the general public there too). Once our event begins, all unclaimed camping space everywhere is available to all.
The Bee

Return to Shelter & Camping