Hurricane Tape

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hurricane Tape

Postby Frankenstipe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

Has anyone every used this stuff on the playa? Does it hold up well in the heat and playa dust?

I need to use it to connect pieces of tarp together off playa and was wondering if it would work better, or just as good, than the Bi-Directional Filament tape from goodbuyguys website, or Gorilla Tape for that matter.
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
Frankenstipe

Re: Hurricane Tape

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm

If this weren't the first page I might suggest that there's a knock-off from China called "Typhoon Tape."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Never even heard of it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Mr.Coffee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm

That looks like some pretty serious stuff. I'm using gorilla tape on my monkey hut, I'll let you know how it holds up.

This hurricane tape looks like it'll do pretty well. I say bring a backup plan and give it a shot.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby ovvle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:35 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering the same thing... Maybe somebody has had experience with Hurricane tape by now?

I live in Vancouver, Canada. Getting Bi-directional filament tape here is either impossible OR ridiculously expensive. I don't know why. I have however found a Canadian source for 3" hurricane tape (no such thing as 6" HT). Furthermore, MEC stocks smaller rolls. I plan to buy a roll from MEC and do some testing. If it works out like I hope, I'm going to order as much of the 3" tape as I can.

In the meantime, any playa-tested feedback would be welcome.

ps If anyone knows of a local source (or an online source that ships to Canada) of Bi-filament, please let me know. I'll walk your dog and massage your feet for a month.
ovvle

Camp Name: Cloud IX (2014)

Postby Canoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 am

Bunker Hurricane Tape

• A polyethylene acrylic adhesive tape, composed of woven polyethylene on a plastic substrate.
  • The adhesive is a water-based acrylic.
  • Adhesion to Steel: 85 oz/in. width & length
  • Tensile Strength: 380 lbs/in. width & length
  • Elongation At Break: 18%
  • Thickness: 11 mils
  • Cohesive Strength: 213 psi
  • Temperature Use Range: 200 F
So the tensile strength is 72% stronger than the 220 bi-filament tape.
At 85 oz. vs. 90/91 oz for the bi-filament tape, it'd consider them the same.
  • Says the temp is good to 200F, but we don't know how the adhesive may hold less in lower heats. (Adhesion to Steel tests are done in a lab at lab temps) I'd want to see on-playa results.
  • This tape in white would absorb less heat. (for example, Gorilla Tape has a number of reports of letting go on-playa, particularly when in the sun).
  • With the adhesive being water-based, I'm concerned about what happens in the low humidity of the playa.

If you get someone posting on-playa results for Hurricane Tape, make sure it's Bunker Hurricane Tape so you're not comparing apples with oranges. Or go after their brand for its specs.

Note: 3" tape is NOT recommended. With 3" width tape, you've got to apply it near perfect (equal amount on each side of a joint) or you quickly loose practical strength for your hexayurt. Check the link I posted for you in the other thread. https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 76#p955783

Canoe wrote:Beyond a yardstick between width and tape choices, it can also show us why the six inch wide bi-filament yields the most successful on-playa results. Like it's tolerance to mis-alignment when applied (meaning you don't have to get it aligned perfect to get good strength) and we can expect the same for losing a little bit of square inches of holding due to a little bit of dust. It is interesting to note that a 75 mph wind delivers up to 28 lbs./sq.ft. for 450 lbs. of force on a 4'x4' panel, or 900 lbs. of force on a 4'x8' panel. This 6" wide bi-filament tape, even when mis-aligned by up to 3/4", still calculates as strong enough to take that entire load on a single length of joint, and in practice, that force on the panel will be shared among three joints. So with the decreased holding strength due to the factors noted above, we can reasonable expect that 6" wide tape to do the job. And reports from the playa support that.

To ball park it:
  • the 6" wide bi-filament tape yields strengths exceeding the 75 mph wind maximum loads,
  • the 4" wide shows numbers in the range of those loads, and
  • the 3" wide tape is below those loads.
Which pretty much reflects what people report as what happened on-playa:
  • 6" wide = almost always good (application dust & errors unknown)
  • 4" wide = usually o.k.
  • 3" wide = often not o.k.
And that's with the 220 lbs. | 91 oz. bi-filament tape.
Use weaker tapes and you've got poorer results.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Maizie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 am

ovvle wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering the same thing... Maybe somebody has had experience with Hurricane tape by now?

I live in Vancouver, Canada. Getting Bi-directional filament tape here is either impossible OR ridiculously expensive. I don't know why. I have however found a Canadian source for 3" hurricane tape (no such thing as 6" HT). Furthermore, MEC stocks smaller rolls. I plan to buy a roll from MEC and do some testing. If it works out like I hope, I'm going to order as much of the 3" tape as I can.

In the meantime, any playa-tested feedback would be welcome.

ps If anyone knows of a local source (or an online source that ships to Canada) of Bi-filament, please let me know. I'll walk your dog and massage your feet for a month.

I made out good with findtape.com - it was about $30 to ship seven rolls of tape to Saskatchewan. $15 a roll for the three-inch tape, and $30 a roll for the six-inch tape. As long as we don't botch construction horribly, it should be good for the initial construction, and one additional burn.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ovvle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks Maizie and Canoe (once again),

I'm about to buy a couple rolls of 6" Bi-filament from findtape.com. THANK GOD they ship to Canada. It seems so simple, and yet so difficult... I used to think I had decent internet findy skills.

I did wind up buying small rolls of both Gorilla and Hurricane tape. I agree about the Gorilla tape. After playing with it, I don't think I trust it. It rips easily like duct tape does. I have high hopes for the Hurricane tape based on what it looks like though. I'll open it up in a few minutes. I'll probably use it for some applications, and save the 6" Bi (tee hee) for critical seam applications.

In the meantime... when I have a moment, I plan to subject the different tapes I've acquired to TORTURE TESTING. I figure I can make up a few fun quasi-scientific tests using some weights, a heat gun, a shower head etc. etc. I will share the results of course. I'll do that once the 6" Bi arrives.

Thanks all! :lol:
ovvle

Camp Name: Cloud IX (2014)

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:30 am

ovvle wrote:... I plan to subject the different tapes I've acquired to TORTURE TESTING. I figure I can make up a few fun quasi-scientific tests using some weights, a heat gun, a shower head etc. etc. I will share the results of course. I'll do that once the 6" Bi arrives...

Thanks, but no thanks.
What counts is how it performs on the playa in the playa environment. Use in on the playa and then let us know.

Which is why Gorilla Tape is not one that is recommended. Too much variance in how it performs on the playa; same application (literally 20 feet from one-another) and for one it fails and for the other it holds. Most failures are heat related. Gorilla won't publish their specs. Some published values show a 50% variance. One wonders when the maker won't publish and others' test results show a wide variance, along with widely varying results in the field. Anyway, too much like roulette for playa use.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Maizie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 am

One quick note! My tape is just making its way across the border now, and I got dinged on brokerage fees because I made the (really poor) decision to ship via UPS. So maybe don't do that, unless you want to act as your own broker or unless you have a connection to a good broker. I just folded and let UPS be my broker, but it's gonna be at least another $40 on my order.

At least I ordered more than one year worth of tape.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Postby chuckularone » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:02 am

Maizie wrote:At least I ordered more than one year worth of tape.

Are you planning on building a new Hexayurt every year?
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Burning Since: 2014

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:35 am

Every year you re-tape it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby chuckularone » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Every year you re-tape it.

Duh.. Stupid question.. Withdrawn. :oops:
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Maizie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 am

chuckularone wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Every year you re-tape it.

Duh.. Stupid question.. Withdrawn. :oops:

Yes, that! Enough tape for a brand-new build the first year, and then at least one re-tape. Maybe if I'm super accurate I can get two re-tapes out of it, but I doubt it. :p
Maizie

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Maizie wrote:... I got dinged on brokerage fees because I made the (really poor) decision to ship via UPS. ... but it's gonna be at least another $40 on my order...

Yup.
They're not the brokers.
It's a scam fee they hold you hostage for.
Always try to get the vendor to ship to Canada via USPS.
Or where possible buy from a vendor who is registered with CRA and collects and remits the HST.
Then there's no BS broker fees.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm

I thought USPS to canada was problematic because the canadian post office was collapsing under its own weight.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Their own weight in that of excessive management.
Stuff from USPS does fine.
Anything else across the U.S. boarder to Canada is an issue. Coming from other countries, no problem.
Depending on the city/town, UPS is an absolute no for deliveries to a residential address.

And, get this: if I order something in Canada and it ships the same day by post, I'll get it in one to two weeks. Even if across the city. If I order something from Hong Kong or similar, it's delivered to my door in two to three days, for a tiny fraction of the shipping cost from within Canada, and the final delivery agent in Canada is either DHL or, wait for it, Canada Post.

And if you mail a parcel by Canada Post, it's by weight. Only they "declare" the weight based on the size of the box.

The real barrier to increased online shopping in Canada is mainly shipping cost, with a distant second of shipping BS.
Canoe

Postby Maizie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 am

Yeah, USPS is always way better - no idea why I completely spaced on that this time!
Maizie

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

Speaking personally... I doubt the ability of tape, even really fucking good tape, to hold two tarps together on the playa during a dust storm. Perhaps if there's no wind (ha) or if both tarps are tightly secured at every grommet hole and there's no slack... but otherwise I don't think there's any amount of taping or default world torture testing that would ensure anything would work. Your mileage may vary, of course, and there's always a chance that we'd see one-in-a-million weather conditions like we did in 2011... but the odds are against it. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Shelter & Camping