Aluminum flag poles for simple shade structure

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Aluminum flag poles for simple shade structure

Postby brookstar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:25 am

I am thinking about using this design to make a simple shade structure for 2 tents:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40542&p=705588#p705588

I am going to use aluminet, but the structure will be considerably bigger than the one on the page at the link above. Does anybody have any experience with aluminum flag poles?

Here's an example of what I'm thinking of:

http://www.antonline.com/p_ARP-1-GP_673917.htm?sID=GP

I'm thinking that aluminum tent poles will not be strong enough. I'm trying to avoid PVC pipes because we have space concerns and PVC can be bulky.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!
brookstar

Re: Aluminum flag poles for simple shade structure

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 am

I have used 2"x3" x8' fir stud lumber. Hemlock is much weaker, not recommended. Should be available at any home/construction supply store. You can burn or bring back home. I use a ~25x25' of that exact Aluminet and it catches a lot more wind than I expected. 2 1/2" drywall-type screws can be driven in if you want along the length of the board to create a point to tie rope to it that won't slip up or down. Also attached to base to a piece of rebar.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

Don't have experience w/ internet flagpoles, but I think I saw some camp use an aluminum lamppost.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 am

These adjustable poles from REI are costly, but they are made for the purpose.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby brookstar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks for all the information.

Some Seeing Eye - Another question - how big was your aluminet folded down? I've never used aluminet before and we're worried about space in the truck. We're 4 burners coming from Scotland so everything is getting posted to my folks in the Bay Area and we're just going to be doing a dry run the week before the burn when we get there and then packing up. I phoned the supplier we are thinking of getting it from, but they have no idea because their fabricator ships it out direct. We're using an 11' x 21' piece. I know yours was 25' x 25', but if you have even rough dimensions that would be useful.

Packoderm - Yup...that's pretty much perfect...and pricey. Might stick with wood this time!
brookstar

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 am

25x21 feet with sewn edging from Gothic Arch Greenhouses easily fits in a 8100 cubic inch (91 x 38 x 36 cm) x-large Eagle Creek duffelbag. It's springy, compressible, so using "compression straps", available at any outdoor store helps. (You can bring the Aluminet to a SF outdoor store when you arrive to find the right bag. REI is a great supplier common across the USA, but I'm sure there are many options) I have bought cheap Asian duffels, but the zippers separate when you pack the contents. It's extremely lightweight and waterproof so good for attaching by ropes to the top of your vehicle if there is some sort of rack. The duffels go in the washing machine and the Aluminet I hang up outside and wash with a hose after. Enjoy the burn!

Duffels are my preferred international travel packing and for car camping, and the better ones can luggage lock the zipper pull to the end D rings.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby brookstar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 am

Funny you say that. Duffel bags are my preferred method of international travel and any camping. Who needs a tent...or shade for that matter?!

Thanks for all your help. We're just ordering the aluminet now and hopefully will have some pictures and tips for next time anybody else wanting to make one of these!
brookstar

Return to Shelter & Camping