Knots for holding crap down

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Knots for holding crap down

Postby Drizzt321 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Or, what knot(s) should I use in securing my shelter to the rebar stakes, as well as guy lines, etc.

In my particular case, I've got a Shelter Systems YurtDome (more or less modified geodesic dome) which I plan to use several stakes right at the bottom, and then a couple of guy lines just in case. Further I will have a couple of poles to hold up some sun shade, and so I'll need a couple of lines on each (maybe more?) to make sure they stay up properly.

So, given it's been years (many years) since I was a Boy Scout, and I didn't learn a ton about knots even then, what knots do you think would be best? I'm planning on using 550lb para-cord for this, but if there's something easier/better to work with that's not too expensive, I'm willing to look into it.
Drizzt321

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Knots for holding crap down

Postby SouthernExposure » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 pm

Trucker's Hitch, the most awesome knot ever devised.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby igor47 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Come to my knot-tying workshop on Monday at 2 @ Camp Warp Zone and I'll teach you all about it.

Because of a technical glitch my event didn't make it into the WWWW, so I'm advertising it on here instead :)
igor47

Postby Drizzt321 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks, I'll try and make it. I'm planning (hoping) to be making it to BRC (maybe not in, depending on the line) by 5-9am on Monday, so whatever knots I do do, should hold until at least that afternoon, lol.

Hmmm...this makes me think, I need a small notebook & something reliable to write with, maybe one of those 'astronaut' pens, to keep track of info like what/when/where things are happening and people I meet.
Drizzt321

Postby unjonharley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:41 pm

igor47 wrote:Come to my knot-tying workshop on Monday at 2 @ Camp Warp Zone and I'll teach you all about it.

Because of a technical glitch my event didn't make it into the WWWW, so I'm advertising it on here instead :)

i have used an ensign's knot for a number of years.. Works good in the wind on the desert.. Hope you can teach this..
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Drizzt321 wrote:Thanks, I'll try and make it. I'm planning (hoping) to be making it to BRC (maybe not in, depending on the line) by 5-9am on Monday, so whatever knots I do do, should hold until at least that afternoon, lol.

Hmmm...this makes me think, I need a small notebook & something reliable to write with, maybe one of those 'astronaut' pens, to keep track of info like what/when/where things are happening and people I meet.

Definitely! One mini notebook, two pens and two thick sharpies for your Knapsack of Wander; one travel diary/composition book back at camp for personal thoughts and lists.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby phil » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:44 pm

The problem is most knots do a fairly specific thing. So a bowline or anchor knot may be just what you need for some things, but a clovis hitch or trucker's hitch or anchor hitch may be better in other situations.

I'd suggest looking those knots up online and reading about them. Or check a knot book out of the library and see what knots for whatnot uses.
phil

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm

There's always the ratchet strap variation, no knots needed.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drizzt321 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

ratchet strap might work in some (most?) cases for guy ropes and such, but for the main usage I'm going to have the stakes right at the edge of the dome, so it pretty much will be directly on top of the stakes.
Drizzt321

Postby robotland » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:57 am

My favorite is the Sea Fit Knot.....throw a few loops around it an' "sea 'fit holds".

*rim shot*

...I'm there all week. try the bacon. tip your rangers.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 am

See the link in my sig.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby nosambos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 am

This may be the place to ask my question. Can I use bungee cord to attach aluminet to the stakes. I would think the stretchiness might be a good thing in the wind.
nosambos

Postby Raymaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 am

nosambos wrote:This may be the place to ask my question. Can I use bungee cord to attach aluminet to the stakes. I would think the stretchiness might be a good thing in the wind.

Boinggggg! Oh look there goes a virgin burner.

Sorry not the answer you want, but I can't help, I am a virgin burner myself.
Raymaker

Postby Drizzt321 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 am

Bob wrote:See the link in my sig.

Thanks, some good info. What type of rope do you recommend for lesser structures, since I'm not going to need the steel wire. Should 550lb para-cord be good?
Drizzt321

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 am

Parachute cord, lightweight line from a boating supplier like West Marine, braided poly from Home Depot, and bring plenty of extra just in case.

Clove hitches, taut-line hitches and bowlines are the most common knots I use.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby The CO » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 am

Harbor freight sells a glow in the dark rope that is great for guy lines.

Clove hitch, bowline, sheet bend, grapevine/fishermans/blood knot, taught-line hitch, truckers hitch. There nothing you can't tie if you know those. Butterfly loop, prussik, water knot (& how to use it) for style points.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby The Bee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 am

I like to use climbing accessory cord. Not the cheapest, but it's easy to tie and untie, and it will last many years. Gear Express sells it by the foot. http://www.gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=ACCORD. Up to about 7mm diameter will fit through standard grommets. REI has some nice climbing utility cord on sale right now. http://www.rei.com/category/4500703. I just ordered 50' of BlueWater 3mm cord for about $7. Here's a good site that shows how to tie knots: http://www.animatedknots.com. I got out some of my rope from last year and started practicing my knots when I saw this thread :D

Edit: REI has some of that glow in the dark cord too. It's called PMI Nightline. 3mm for $0.32 / foot.
The Bee

Postby igor47 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:55 pm

I tend to buy rope by the spool from McMaster-Carr -- they have a huge selection, good specs, reasonable prices, they ship quickly, plus I combine shipping with a thousand other items I buy at the same time.

I like braided nylon in 1/4" to 1/2" sizes -- 1/2" begins to be a bit thick for tying tight knots, but anything thinner than 1/4" can be hard to pull tight because you can't get a good grip on it. Twisted nylon is great if you want to do splices, but it twists under load and starts looking really ratty really quick after the playa gets into all it's crevices. Abrasion-resistant double-braided stuff works great if you're planning on running it around rebar, which tends to catch and shred the sheathing.

I think there's almost nothing you can't do with three knots -- fisherman's bend, bowline, and figure-eight loop. As a bonus, the constrictor knot comes in extremely handy. Trucker's hitch is of course the most practical knot out there, but it's usually implemented as a bowline on one end, a figure-eight for the pulley and then two half-hitches or similar to tie it off.

Come learn all these at Warp Zone @ 4:00 and A, Monday at 2 PM. I'll even give you a piece of rope to practice with. You can't learn a knot unless you practice over and over so it gets into your muscle memory.
igor47

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am

So, These three ropes walk into a bar.. The bar keep said: We don't serve rope in this bar.. Outside one rope said: help me look different I want that drink.. The other two rope tied a knot and messed up his lose ends.. The rope walk back into the bar.. The bar keep said: Are the the rope that was just in here?. The rope said: Ah, frayed knot.
unjonharley

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:19 pm

old sailors saying "If you can't tie a knot tie a lot"
Mr. Flintstone

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Mr. Flintstone wrote:old sailors saying "If you can't tie a knot tie a lot"

And..."A knot's not a knot unless it can easily be untied." OK...I made that up...but true when you think about it.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Shark » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Oh oh! I know! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_half-hitches, the holy two half hitches knot. It's like a fancy slip knot. Tie it once, and it can slide to tighten down any tent / shade structure / anything at all. If you use thick fibrous rope you may half to re-tighten it every day, but otherwise this knot is extremely useful and easy to tie and untie. Also cowboys used it. 'nuff said. happy burn.
Shark

Postby Drizzt321 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 am

igor47 wrote:Come to my knot-tying workshop on Monday at 2 @ Camp Warp Zone and I'll teach you all about it.

Just realized, where is Warp Zone going to be staying? Or are all the registered theme camps going to have their locations published in the 2011 guide that I'll be getting in the next couple of weeks?
Drizzt321

Postby igor47 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Registered theme camps are going to be in the WWWW you get at the gate -- this is the guide I failed to get my event into by being an idiot.

To make it easier to find -- we'll be at 4:00 & A. Just look for the giant pipe ... thing.

--Igor
igor47

Postby Drizzt321 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:58 pm

igor47 wrote:Registered theme camps are going to be in the WWWW you get at the gate -- this is the guide I failed to get my event into by being an idiot.

To make it easier to find -- we'll be at 4:00 & A. Just look for the giant pipe ... thing.

Love your description. I'm sure I'll be able to find it well enough if it's that difficult to describe.
Drizzt321

Return to Shelter & Camping