How to choose camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

How to choose camp?

Postby HippieGoLightly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

This aging hippie virgin read the survival guide, scoured eplaya, spoke to friends, and is still clueless on something.
What are the most important determinants in choosing a Theme Camp to ask to be with?
I found several that have interests that match mine (Yippee!)
Some are large, some are small (6-7 ppl)
Some are nearer esplanade and some are further back (Or closer to 6:00 vs more 'edgy").
Are these the right issues to consider? What are others.

Since I won't be able to meet campmates before arriving, I can't make decision based on 'chemistry' (or even chemicals).
My concern is I totally lack any camping skills or equipment (I will buy before arriving) so want group well organized (food, showers, masseuse, etc.) (OK. No masseuse) and forgiving. I also kind of sort of think I may need 'down-time' (if not time-out time), yet wouldn't mind having all of BRC easy to reach.

I am interested in plusses and minuses and relative importance of what to consider. What do you think. A hail mary?
HippieGoLightly

Re: How to choose camp?

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 pm

go to the theme camp thread and see who is still accepting members first. Then check out the ones that sound interesting and contact them
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Don't sell yourself short, you're probably more capable than you think. You'll probably survive ;)

I agree with lucky. Look for one that seems to be the best fit, reach out to them. Ask if they've got or can help with the specific things you're concerned about. Rinse and repeat as necessary, hopefully you'll make a connection in no time.

Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby phil » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:33 pm

I hope you don't think you have to be with a theme camp. You can go on your own, you know.
phil

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 pm

But Phil, who wouldn't want someone in their camp who is totally lacking camping skills, has a keen interest in "chemicals", has no useful equipment of any kind, wants somebody else to provide food, showers, and a masseuse, wants a place for "down time" yet have everything at his fingertips. Oh, and he's a hippie, albeit an old one. I'm shocked---SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!---that people aren't pounding his doors down to have him be part of their camp. Well, this is where I need to help. Feel free to join us. Look up AstroPups under Theme Camps and apply within.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

OK...get the gear and comestibles you need and show up! Pack your cooler(s) with sandwiches in case you can't get your camp stove to work. Set up your camp next to a camp that looks like it's reasonably organized (avoiding the huge walled-off RV camps). Get to know your neighbors. Take the First Timer's Guide seriously! You'll do just fine! You will not die!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

DP, with advice like that you're only going to encourage him.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

If you want downtime, you may wish to avoid camps on Esplanade, streets A, B, and maybe C, also 9 o'clock to 10'clock, and 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Raves and sound camps aim for the top of the clock.

All of BRC is within easy reach if you buy a beater bicycle in Reno. Nevada citizens make a tidy little profit selling old bikes and buying them back, and some of these programs even have a charitable bent if I remember correctly, but I'm tired today and am not going to research it. $50 isn't that cheap for a bike you give away or sell back, but it's cheap when you view the bike as a "rental".

Shade and showers are harder to rig for yourself than food, so if you must have comforts, aim for those first. (You can avoid cooking entirely and eat canned goods, bagged items, cereal and milk boxes, vacuum-sealed salmon and Trader Joe's indian meals squeezed into a tortilla all week.)

Make sure in your letters to theme camps you offer genuine readiness to work, an honest compatibility with their theme/mission, and a willingness to pay what they ask, because it sounds like you do hope for a lot of support . . . and they will have had just enough experience with slackers not to have a sense of humor about it. :)
Savannah

Postby HippieGoLightly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm

@Lucky420: Thanks. Been there/done that. Now I'm trying to decide between camps
@Trilobyte: Thanks. I'm from NYCand the closest I ever came to radical self-sufficiency was calling for Chinese food and picking it up myself. (I have, recently, quit everything and travled to 40-ish emerging world countries during a 13 month round the world misadventure. But even then, I stayed at hostles, I mean hostels)
@Dr. Pyro: Glad someone understands me. I could've done the post the other way ("I really want to help a theme camp be successful, and I'm an earnest hard worker who will be a great addition to any camp") But I'm not. :) I am sometimes amusing (I can drop lines like "I remember when we were in Mongolia..." and "Did anyone see my God Damn glasses!"). I worked for the man (I may have even been the man), so I do know how to laugh at other people's jokes and make like their vapid comments are amusing. But camping? As Modern Men sung, "Jews Don't Camp".
@Dragonpilot: That was plan A. Then I made mistake of re ading First Timers Guide.
@Savannah: Now we're talking. That was kind of info I wanted. Info that would help me decide between camps, versus how to find one. Thanks.

No one has advice on whether a large camp (25+) or a small camp (6-10) is preferable (or even important)? tx

Signed,
The Human MOOP
HippieGoLightly

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:09 pm

HippieGoLightly wrote:Signed,
The Human MOOP

I wouldn't want to camp WITH your lazy ass, but I'd sure enjoy camping NEXT to you . Good luck!
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm

As Modern Men sung, "Jews Don't Camp".

The reply to that may be interesting. :lol:

No one has advice on whether a large camp (25+) or a small camp (6-10) is preferable (or even important)? tx

Concentrate on an experience level, a compatible mission, & an air of friendly competence.

Note that a theme camp that is really small might need specialized abilities. Look for a camp that might value less specialized skills (like helping clean the bar, picking up moop, serving) more than doing heavy lifting or engineering. You don't have to be Superman, just conscientious, aware, paid up, willing to ask what needs doing, and not a jerk.

Oh, bring work gloves if you can. You'll probably come out of this knowing how to do something. No one escapes knowing less than they did when they arrived.

(Unless you consume too many substances.)
Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Try to find people whose idea of a good time is similar to your own. So what's that mean to you? Here's how you give them a chance to find you.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:49 pm

HippieGoLightly wrote: @Trilobyte: Thanks. I'm from NYCand the closest I ever came to radical self-sufficiency was calling for Chinese food and picking it up myself. (I have, recently, quit everything and travled to 40-ish emerging world countries during a 13 month round the world misadventure. But even then, I stayed at hostles, I mean hostels)
@Dr. Pyro: Glad someone understands me. I could've done the post the other way ("I really want to help a theme camp be successful, and I'm an earnest hard worker who will be a great addition to any camp") But I'm not. :) I am sometimes amusing (I can drop lines like "I remember when we were in Mongolia..." and "Did anyone see my God Damn glasses!"). I worked for the man (I may have even been the man), so I do know how to laugh at other people's jokes and make like their vapid comments are amusing. But camping? As Modern Men sung, "Jews Don't Camp".
@Dragonpilot: That was plan A. Then I made mistake of re ading First Timers Guide.

Signed,
The Human MOOP

Damn, trying to type while getting the taste of puke out of the back of my throat is tough. Perhaps start your own camp and call it "I'm a legend in my own mind camp"
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Shelter & Camping