Independent camping

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Independent camping

Postby Lola77 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am

Howdy! I'm a first time BMer, along with my boyfriend, and we had been planning on bringing an art installation to the playa but unfortunately, real life got in the way of our creation and so we will be attending sans art. We will be camping on our own and I wonder if this is permissible? Or, do you have to either belong to a theme camp or have some sort of installation/service/schtick, etc.? Thanks everyone! Looking forward to meeting you in the desert:)
Lola77

Re: Independent camping

Postby Rice » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:25 am

Lola77 wrote:Howdy! I'm a first time BMer, along with my boyfriend, and we had been planning on bringing an art installation to the playa but unfortunately, real life got in the way of our creation and so we will be attending sans art. We will be camping on our own and I wonder if this is permissible? Or, do you have to either belong to a theme camp or have some sort of installation/service/schtick, etc.? Thanks everyone! Looking forward to meeting you in the desert:)

Hi, Welcome to the ePlaya,

You are probably better off not having extra responsibilities for your first burn. Experience, enjoy, offer a hand to your neighbours.

It is also perfectly acceptable to camp on your own...

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 am

Yes! You to can be a solo BADASS!

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 am

Lola, I love camping alone or with small groups. It doesn't stop me from socializing, having neighbors, visiting theme camps, or volunteering. It does prevent some stress on my part, 'cause that's just how I'm made. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Minxy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:51 am

Camping alone is awesome! You may end up with a little less infrastructure (ie big super fancy shade structure or huge, well equipped kitchen) but it's super fun camping alone. It certainly doesn't inhibit you from socializing as much or as little as you like, plus you have the added bonus of having your time be ENTIRELY yours with no "large camp" responsibilities. I love it!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Lola77 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks, you guys! I'm feeling better about this already:)
Lola77

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:33 pm

You can see my other recent post. The walk-in camping area is primarily solo-duoists. It's a little far out, but near the airport who are a nice bunch. You could even park your car out by the airport camp after unpacking I bet. I would have bikes that far out.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Walk-In camping might be a little far away for a first year burner, and there are no windblocks.

On the other hand, it's probably wonderfully quiet. Towards the end of Burn week I can't say I wouldn't mind being there sometimes. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Go for it!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Canoe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Minxy wrote:Camping alone is awesome! You may end up with a little less infrastructure (ie big super fancy shade structure or huge, well equipped kitchen) but it's super fun camping alone. It certainly doesn't inhibit you from socializing as much or as little as you like, plus you have the added bonus of having your time be ENTIRELY yours with no "large camp" responsibilities. I love it!

ditto

camping other than walk-in means more neighbours and windbreaks
and, you'll probably make friends with your neighbours (try not to...)
they're usually your best security and "go to"
usual rules apply

much sharing occurs

although they were looked after during the burn, the end of burn where I was saw a hippy couple gifted with much food to take home and better equipment for them to use in the future
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Return to Shelter & Camping