Hexayurt question: reflecting the sun on campmates?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Hexayurt question: reflecting the sun on campmates?

Postby Lucidvegas » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:43 am

Hello all. I just finessed taping all the areas I needed to tape before I start working on hinges. I have the panels sitting against the fence....and I've noticed how bright these things get!!! I'm wondering how awful is it to have a yurt in camp? Is it a solar death ray during the day?

Just curious.
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Re: Hexayurt question: reflecting the sun on campmates?

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:29 am

I wonder who goes out and cleans these off after a dust storm -- physics undergrads?

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am

Lucidvegas wrote:Hello all. I just finessed taping all the areas I needed to tape before I start working on hinges. I have the panels sitting against the fence....and I've noticed how bright these things get!!! I'm wondering how awful is it to have a yurt in camp? Is it a solar death ray during the day?

Just curious.

Nope. It's never been a problem. We had ten or twelve yurts in our camp last year and no reflectivity problems at all. Though I understand your concern, we worried about that the first year too, but it's totally unfounded and in my opinion that caveat should be removed from the Hexayurt apropedia page.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Korwedge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Plus after the first day or two, the panels get coated in playa dust, which greatly reduces the reflectivity anyway.
Korwedge

Return to Shelter & Camping