First Timer Parking Question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

First Timer Parking Question

Postby Drogoth1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey, I'm a first timer, my gf has gone before, but she was part of a larger camp. This year, we've rented our own RV, and are meeting friends there.

My Question: Where do you park if you're not part of a pre-registered "camp". Will we be told where to park when we get there, or do we have to "apply" for a camping area, etc. ahead of time? We're getting there late (31st) so we're hoping they don't throw us out in the middle of nowhere. Would be great if we could park with our friends who will get there on Day 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks folks!
Drogoth1

Re: First Timer Parking Question

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:23 pm

unless you;re with a registered and placed theme camp it is first come first served. You will have to find your own camping spot. Don't worry it is not hard. Have your friends register at center camp/playa info and then you will be able to find where they are camped. You may not find room next to them but you will know where to find them...oh and you should register too.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

If you know your RV dimensions, you could always try to have them flag you out the space and save it as best possible. YMMV.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 am

Most of the city is open camping.

Review this map: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/m ... index.html
All of the white areas are open camping, first-come, first-serve. Neighbors are expected to negotiate their space needs with each other and it is not uncommon for people there on the first day to hold space for an RV or two for people arriving mid-event.

However, the next task is for you to find your friends! They can post their location at Playa Info (near Center Camp Cafe). You or your GF can leave the parked RV a few blocks away (can't drive near the Cafe) and walk to Playa Info and look up the camp location your friends ended up at.

Failing that, mid-weekers generally have to camp along the outside of the city. eg 3:15 and J-street, or even L-street (they added an outer street last year).

This year's event is shaping up to sell out all of their tickets. So it is going to be very full. Expect to be on the outermost ring or have your friends help you out.
portaplaya

Postby Sham » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Please watch for the No Parking signs and the No Parking Zones. The ticketing, fines and towing fees are a bitch! :shock:

Yes, I'm kidding!
Sham

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm

If you think you are kidding, I dare you to park so you are blocking an entrance to the Cafe.

Heck, just leave your car in the road...

Fortunately, the vehicles that are towed only go to D-Lot, out by the Gate, the entrance to the city.
portaplaya

Return to Shelter & Camping