pumping out evap pond at the end

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

pumping out evap pond at the end

Postby xhoosier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

is there a good cheap pump to suck out that last 1/2 inch of water and "gunk" into a tank on the last day. We had a very small amount last year but still was junk I would not dump on the playa. Never dump on the playa!!!!
I want to suck/pump what is left into a tank and hall away. I think I need something that will pull in small crap and lift it up into a tank on my trailer so I need a lift of maybe 60 inches. Any suggestions for a cheap solution to this?

thanks in advance
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Re: pumping out evap pond at the end

Postby DustHand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Harbor Freight!

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68372.html
The rise isn't what you need, but that is probably a rating for extended durations at a particular flow rate. If not, just pump it into a bucket...
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:45 pm

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DustHand » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:58 pm

jkisha wrote:Try this.

THAT is my favorite new website!
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

We just use two layers of black plastic to line the pond and then lift it out and pour the dregs into a 5 gallon bucket, using the plastic as a funnel. Why overkill.
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015 at Ballyhoo and 3:45! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Major Krash » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 pm

take a water jug and cut away a chunk that includes 1 entire face (one of the ones next to the handle). This makes a great scoop that holds 1 gallon or so easy without slopping too much, and can also scoop up sludge. A few people with these can quickly empty an evap pond....as long as there is someplace to put it (I have used empty fuel cans in the past, emptying them and cleaning them real good at home).
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Go to the boat section at walmart and buy a $9 bilge pump, it will pass most chunks, but I would suggest using a screen for a swamp cooler pump to keep the big hippy chunks from getting into the line.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:41 pm

I use a 12 volt Bilge Pump for this very thing. It works spectacularly. You won't need anything over 600 GPH.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby xhoosier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 pm

since we have a camp with maybe 50to 60 this year I don't want to have to manually move the water on the last day. I was thinking about sump pumps but not the bilge pump so i will be checking that out. I guess I just need to make sure I have a low spot to make it work best.

thanks for all your help,
xhoosier
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 pm

We just use the $9.99 hand pump from Lowe's.raise the plastic to work it toward one corner of the pond into 5 gallon bucket(s). Wrap whatever sludge is left into the plastic as you wad it up and put it with your other garbage. We keep a bucket for table scraps with a lid on it. The water for our games is in 5 gallon buckets anyway,,, so taking grey water home is still less than we brought!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby alt12 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 am

Trishntek wrote:We just use the $9.99 hand pump from Lowe's.raise the plastic to work it toward one corner of the pond into 5 gallon bucket(s). Wrap whatever sludge is left into the plastic as you wad it up and put it with your other garbage. We keep a bucket for table scraps with a lid on it. The water for our games is in 5 gallon buckets anyway,,, so taking grey water home is still less than we brought!

do you have a link for this cheapie Lowe's pump or name for it? thanks
alt
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby crstophr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:45 am

The easiest solution is to stop adding water for the last 24-48 hrs. We've had a rule that the evap pond is closed after saturday morning (last showers, etc). This will allow enough time for the evaporation process to complete and you should be left with dry plastic to rollup. If you're going to pump out the last bits anyway why put them in the pond in the first place.

The biggest problem is keeping your sneaky neighbors from dumping their crap at the last minute.

--Chris
crstophr

Postby Rabbette » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:46 am

crstophr wrote:The easiest solution is to stop adding water for the last 24-48 hrs. We've had a rule that the evap pond is closed after saturday morning (last showers, etc). This will allow enough time for the evaporation process to complete and you should be left with dry plastic to rollup. If you're going to pump out the last bits anyway why put them in the pond in the first place.

The biggest problem is keeping your sneaky neighbors from dumping their crap at the last minute.

--Chris

I was thinking that very thought. (It also got me thinking about trash and I wonder if people put trash in other peoples trash bags so they don't have to haul as much away.)
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.
Rabbette

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:39 am

no, they just leave their bags in your camp and drive away....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:35 am

If you're running a theme camp, don't let your garbage be visible in the public part.
If you're interested, go by 3 or 9 oclock med station and look at the overflow in those garbages...
But apart from that, ED's right.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping