Kandy Kanes

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Kandy Kanes

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 pm

What technique does everyone use to "Candy Cane" the Rebar? Can you do it on the playa, or do you do this at home?

Also, do the plastic "mushroom caps" that go over the ends of the unbent rebar work?

SE
SouthernExposure

Re: Kandy Kanes

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:58 pm

A lot of people candy cane their rebar in advance, at home.

Info about rebar . . . with a how-to in the second link.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... rebar.html
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... uring.html

You can google "how to candy cane rebar" and maybe find additional stuff.

I actually have tennis balls on the end of my rebar. A friend used a pocket knife to cut a small "X" and then we popped 'em on.

Other folks top their rebar with Barbie Doll heads, liter-sized pop bottles, etcetera.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Get a bunch of stuffed horses and jam their heads on your stakes so they look like repurposed unicorns!!! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:19 am

I understand that this thread is Half Dead.
But, I feel like posting

They way we do it is we actually "7" our rebar.
We start with 18" rebar, put about 4-5 inches in a table vise and crank the vice down hard on the rebar.
Start bending the bar back towards you, so that once it gets 2/3 bent you can lean on it with your hip.
You'll notice that as it starts too look like an "L" it wont bend sharply. Its sorta look more like a lower case "j".
Thats when you start beating on the roundish part with a small sledge hammer, while slightly applying pressure.
This will allow for it to get a sharper 7 shape. The reason I like it to have a nice sharp top is that it give a single point to hit with the sledge once you're on playa. I find that the Kandy Kanes are pretty hard to hit with a sledge, cause they are round (duh, I know).
Now her is the real trick!
Once you get out there and you know where you're going to stake down the rebar, use your foot to move about 1/2" of dirt out of the way.
Start banging in the rebar, so tell the short side is almost touching the ground.
Slide/hook/loop what ever you're using around the bar.
Then pound the hell out of it all the way into the ground.
So that no parts are sticking out, then pile that 1/2" of dirt back on top.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 am

PS.
Make 1 extra rebar that is shaped bent right in the middle more like a lazy V. About 140" between legs.

Then on pack out you scrap that 1/2" of dirt away again, and slide your v under what loof is exposed.
Use a couple rags or gloves, squate down low, grab 1 side of the v in each hand,
And steadily stand up. LIFT WITH YOUR LEGS!
If you need to, its pretty pretty easy to get someone on the other side to help.

I recommend #4 or #5 rebar for this. Anything smaller tends to bend too much while your pulling up. Sorta folds in half.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Shelter & Camping