Coleman Instant

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Coleman Instant

Postby Gwydeon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:05 pm

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanC ... 2000007832

Poles outside tent. I could use them cover or clip a second layer between myself and the sun. Then work on a 3rd layer but...

Would this thing survive the winds if I guy-rope it down?

All the windows close. There is no mesh on top. I THINK it has a bottom.

Or am I looking at square frame pretzel waiting to happen?
)°( Gwydeon )°( - Getting married on playa at Rights of Passage.
Gwydeon

Re: Coleman Instant

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

If you plant it near a vehicle or good wind shelter and use minimum 12" stakes, it may survive. It seems to have several guy lines which will help,,,, use all of them. We have similar tents under a very robust shade structure/ wind break and they do fine. Just a caveat tho' I've gone through TWO dome-type Coleman family tents which did not survive the winds, broke poles and ripped fabric. They did not have the guyline features like the one in your link, so your mileage may vary.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby C187 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 am

I've been eying the same tent for over a month. (Overstock, and Amazon has it sub $200, btw) The thing I've been trying to find out about it is how well the joint points might hold up in the wind. Along with what the poles are made of. So far I haven't found those things out. Although I've found plenty of reviews to suggest that a batch of them have issues collapsing on it's self. With that said, I have decided that the material would hold up fine, or at least as well as any other tent near something blocking the wind. Oh! The tent does have a vent on it's top. Personally if I was to buy this tent, I would make something that attached to the poles, so I could stake them in. Sort of like those upside down "T" footers you see on monkey huts sometimes.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 am

Securely staking it or guying it down in addition to using the protection of wind breaks like cars, trucks, larger structures, etc. is the secret to small tent survivability....

My first year I used 2' long 1/2" rebar to stake down my Coleman car camping tent...came back from a playa excursion after a very hard blow to find the tent shredded. It was still there, but shredded...also completely exposed to the wind coming across the playa from the southwest.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby sambojones » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 pm

unless you got something good around you to break the wind that tent will die. I have the 10x14 version of it and it's fucking flimsy i'd say pay a few extra bucks and get something sturdier or just get something with a smaller profile. the poles are flimsy, the material is really thin, the connection points of the poles to the tent don't inspire really any kind of cofidence and it just doesn't have a quality feel to it. the last thing you want to happen is the place your living in to collapse on you and to be homeless. the walls on it are pretty much straight up so if it takes a really hard gust of wind i can see it getting shredding and/or breaking poles
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Postby Bexx » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 am

I got to see this tent first hand last week.. My friend who is going out there with me, picked it up. He brought it over to a get together so he could test it. It's fucking amazing. Makes me wanna buy one now. It literally sets up in a few minutes. And zips up tight on the inside.

All you will need to do is anchor it down with some stakes or rebar. Plus any weighted items, like your water inside. Pitch it close to some cars as a wind break and you are good to go.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 am

Only four feet high, but this is a high wind tent.

Note the full fly which helps with cold too.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... 070&brand=
gyre

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

gyre wrote:Only four feet high, but this is a high wind tent.

Only four feet high? Try putting fishnet stockings on in that thing!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:56 pm

I agree height is preferable, but it is a good example of high wind design.

There are taller ones.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:08 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Tunnel and modified dome type

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:57 pm

gyre

Return to Shelter & Camping