Tent sleeping bag and mat online

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tent sleeping bag and mat online

Postby dragonfly33 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi This is Kim aka Dragonfly,
I am coming from Sydney Australia - but I need to purchase tent, sleeping bag and mat online to pick up in NYC - as I am going to Lammas Gathering and Easton Mountain.
I need someone to recommend specific store or website and model of tent, sleeping bag and mat to order.
I know the tent wants to have zippered covers for open weave panels, to avoid dust everywhere - and that thermarest type mat is too thin for hard ground - but I also find blow up mats can lack support for the back. I know the nights can be cold - but how cold in regard to a sleeping bag purchase.
Also wonder should I get a cheapie to throw away after the Burn or something a bit better than I can bring back to Australia and use here.i.e. Will the dust wreck whatever I buy?

Thanks for the help.
Dragonfly
"There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are, and those who don't."
dragonfly33

Re: Tent sleeping bag and mat online

Postby gyre » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 pm

I haven't bought a bag from them yet, but i have bought other down gear.
They can custom tailor very reasonably.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/
They make a good rectangular bag, a rarity.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso ... gular.html

You can wear these and walk around.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso ... ialty.html

They make the best down vest this side of europe.
An essential with down lined pockets.

It can get really cold out there sometimes.
I have a 300 weight military polartec jacket.
So great i want another one and the pants are worth having too.
Nights can be eighty or so cold I wear every thing in camp.

A small dome with a full fly will be much warmer than a taller tent, but inconvenient.
May be the best option for a traveler though.

I've only used a foam type mat, but that is missing now.
I have used quilts, or a bag underneath.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:54 pm

If I were in your position I'd probably get a cheap cot from WalMart ($44 or so; no having to inflate anything) and a sleeping bag rated for 40F nights, as last year the temperature dropped to the high 30's. Typically, however, it's 50-60F at night. Some nights you might simply be sleeping on top of it.

If a sleeping bag is washable, then the desert won't hurt it if you wash it when you get home. So if you want to buy a really nice bag and keep it, just make sure it allows washing before you pay. When you get home, toss some vinegar in with the soap at a laundromat with an industrial washer, and you're in business.

Playa dust is destructive, but it does only minor harm to humble things that aren't shiny or crisp to begin with, if they can be washed.

Edited to add:

It's hard to tell how soon the REI Store (a camping store) is opening in New York City . . . says "Fall 2011." Might be too late for you.
http://www.rei.com/stores/142

Oh, there's a Target Store in Manhattan.
517 East 117Th Street, New York, NY
(212) 835-0860

And also right across the river in Hoboken, New Jersey. Look at the Target.com website and see if you can ship to a store, etc. I think they might allow that, actually. You could also try a Walmart, though there is not one in Manhattan proper.

Actual New Yorkers might do better at this sport. :) See the main Burning Man website, click on Regionals, and then New York. Join their mailing lists. You might be able to ask locals where they would shop.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:27 am

As a lifelong New Yorker I have to say Savannah is spot on*, if I may add, there's also a Kmart in Penn station although I don't know how they're fixed for camping equipment. Paragaon on 18th and B'way is probably overkill (and overpriced) but they'll have anything you might desire in terms of camping equipment/sporting goods. Walmart has been trying to get into Manhattan for quite awhile now, so far to no avail. I just checked and this one is in stock now at the Kmart, can't vouch for it though, one review says you can feel the middle bar across your mid-section which may/may not be mitigated by the sleeping bag, YMMV. The only cot I looked at on the Target site is $70 and only available online. Modells is another option, they have a shit ton of stores in the NYC area but I would check online regarding what they offer and then call first because some of them may not stock the full line (space in the city comes at a premium).

This year I'm going with the aforementioned cot along with a $15 sleeping bag (rated 40f) from Wallyworld because I'm cheap and don't camp out other than BM. I had an air mattress last year and it needed a fill up twice, which wasn't a huge deal but sleep is scarce on the playa (for me anyway) and it's uncomfortable to wake up with just two thin layers of vinyl between you and the hard surface. The mattress was also bigger than the tent opening so it involved folding it to remove it and luggging it to the car to use the pump and then cramming it back into the now, seemingly smaller opening (I'm certain there was some entertainment value in watching me though). I have a small Enduro 4 season 2-midget tent, there isn't much clearance between the cot and the top of the tent so I may have different advice next year (AFAIK I'm not claustrophobic, but that may change). Best advice: Sleep fast.

* I differ in that:

- I wouldn't bother buying a good sleeping bag and try schlepping it back to Sydney but I travel light and have been known to take multiday trips with just a small carry-on.

- I wouldn't be caught dead in NJ unless I was racing through it to to somewh....er, anywhere else, but that's just me (and any reall NYer). If you want to venture out of Manhattan I would jump on the "R" to Woodhaven blvd/Queens Mall, it's been awhile since I was in the area but I know the area around Queens Mall had a number of larger retailers (again call first). I'm sure there are options in Brooklyn as well I'm just not familiar with them.

EDIT: It just occurred to me there are several Sports Authoritys in NYC proper as well.
Last edited by Sic Pup on Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby momodumpling » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 am

Hey there! I'm effectively doing the same thing and was just researching stores and found this place:

Eastern Mountain Sports http://www.ems.com/home/index.jsp

I'm also wondering weather to buy decent stuff and take it back to Oz, but then I thought about the whole customs thing. I think Australian Customs would be REALLY pissed off by playa dust and wonder how you'd go about washing a tent before it goes back, if you don't have a yard and a hose. I might post a thread about this - I've got no idea whether tents can be put in a big washing machine or if it affects the waterproofing. So this could factor into things....
momodumpling

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:55 am

If you can't find an inexpensive tent without mesh vents, just pick up some towels and some clothespins or spring clamps and do a temporary covering of the panels. Keep the dust down remarkably well for a quick fix.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:14 am

Sic Pup wrote:...Wallyworld...

I like good advice, but regional jargon might be difficult for foreigners to decipher.

Re: dust, just shake it out as best you can, unless you plan to have access to a garden hose and clothesline.

Re: camping gear, any city will have large sporting goods stores eg REI for better stuff, stores like Target that stock mass-consumer-grade gear, but also check out military surplus stores, where you might find cool looking goggles and stuff in addition to tents and bags. Re: night temperatures, a summer sleeping bag plus loose-fitting thermal pyjamas should be fine. Also consider just buying at home so you don't have to risk a panicked last-minute search. If you still end up panicking in Reno, check out Twin Cities Surplus there.

Re: opinions, everyone has a few.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby phil » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:53 am

I've had tents and sleeping bags out on the playa for years. I soaked tents in the bathtub with some Lysol at the recommendation of one tent maker, and that seems to have worked. Eventually, the playa and sun take their tolls, but my tents have lasted years, and my sleeping bags even longer.

Whether it's worth taking them back to Australia is a judgment I can't make, but if you buy a light tent of man-made material, it's certainly washable at home (taking into account the size of your bathtub).
phil

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 am

If you wash anything..Make real sure it is 100% dry..
Any dampness will grow mold in rolled up tents, tarps and shade..
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:14 pm

- I wouldn't be caught dead in NJ unless I was racing through it to to somewh....er, anywhere else, but that's just me (and any reall NYer). If you want to venture out of Manhattan I would jump on the "R" to Woodhaven blvd/Queens Mall, it's been awhile since I was in the area but I know the area around Queens Mall had a number of larger retailers (again call first). I'm sure there are options in Brooklyn as well I'm just not familiar with them.

When I visited NY, I took a ferry to Hoboken for Cirque du Soleil, and it wasn't so bad. :lol: I was only several hundred yards into Jersey for three hours, mind you, but I think this is why Dragonfly could survive . . .

If you wash anything..Make real sure it is 100% dry..
Any dampness will grow mold in rolled up tents, tarps and shade..

Great advice. When I wash my comforter after the desert (I'm a weirdo with a heavy comforter, that's just how I roll) I dry the hell out of it at the local laundromat; drying it well past the point of all sense . . . then roll it up, schlep it home, and unfold it again and drape it over my computer chair for the next day or two. Then I roll it up and store it. And believe it or not, I will be taking it out of storage a week or so before travel to give it the sniff test. :)
Savannah

Postby dragonfly33 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks for all the useful advice. It looks like I may buy hear as I fly United with heaps of luggage allowance. However was looking at small 2 man tent with fibreglass poles and was tolf they would snap in big wind - but I wonder if there is some protection from being in a camp - the windproof ones are too dear $300. Any feedback?
Also where do we purchase the require rebar poles? Looking forward to it. Dragonfly
"There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are, and those who don't."
dragonfly33

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

A windproof tent is called an RV. :) I mean, maybe there's such a thing as a "windproof" tent, but . . . ePlayans have seen geodesic domes achieve liftoff if badly tied down.

I made a $40 dome tent last three burns and survive multi-hour storms . . . I just staked it down well. 9 or 10 inch Coleman stakes will do for an average tent. (A heavy canvas Springbar tent or similar probably requires rebar). So aim for something with the fewest vents/holes, and good customer reviews implying a degree of weather-resistance, but realize that careful setup is half the battle.

Camping on the North side of an RV, truck or van helps a lot (put that barrier between you and Center Camp, which is where the wind typically blows from). The one thing I could have done more cleverly when the true cold rolled in during my first year was to cover my bedding with plastic, or roll it and stuff it in a plastic bag, because there was an hour of drizzle in the early morning and my sleeping bag got damp.
Savannah

Postby dragonfly33 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks. Where do I get Coleman stakes - and are they easier to deal with than rebar?
Also any suggestions on waterproofing tent - Someone said to soak in Lysol. What is that and where do you get it?

Thanks,
Dragonfly
dragonfly33

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 pm

dragonfly33 wrote:Thanks for all the useful advice. It looks like I may buy hear as I fly United with heaps of luggage allowance. However was looking at small 2 man tent with fibreglass poles and was tolf they would snap in big wind - but I wonder if there is some protection from being in a camp - the windproof ones are too dear $300. Any feedback?
Also where do we purchase the require rebar poles? Looking forward to it. Dragonfly

$300!!!

If that is too much, then yes, there are no good choices for you.
Try to find used or remaindered, and get very lucky.

I had a fibreglas poled tent warranted for 100 knots, good for much more really.
Cost between one and two thousand dollars in today's cash.
Worth it too.
Seven pounds with the heavy poles.

I took a hundred dollar walmart tent to my first burn.
Zippers failed immediately and it filled with dust.
Some cheap ones do better.
They all need windbreaks or reinforcement.

I took a trek last time, a cheap cabin knockoff.
Wrapped in heavy vinyl and guyed, it survived okay.

Cabela's discounts a lot of stuff.
You'll probably do better there than most places, if you're lucky.
Ask questions though.

Last year's north face small dome is around $500, or less.
Do NOT buy one without the warranty.
There are fakes on ebay and elsewhere.

i consider the springbar a cheap tent.
I wish it weren't true.

Used refugee tents may be the best you can get.
Might be too large for luggage.

You may have a good used market in your neighborhood, esp with asia and travel.
Try a mountaineering forum.

Military stakes are superior to rebar.
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:46 pm

dragonfly33 wrote:Thanks. Where do I get Coleman stakes - and are they easier to deal with than rebar?
Also any suggestions on waterproofing tent - Someone said to soak in Lysol. What is that and where do you get it?

Thanks,
Dragonfly

I wouldn't try that without the manufacturer's okay.
i think the lysol is for mildew?
Tents should be waterproof, though some still require seam sealing.
This can be time consuming to do right.

I haven't washed a tent, but I know about down gear.
Use the large commercial front loaders without agitators.
Use very little or no detergent and be careful about what you use. ( I use all)
Then wash again with no soap at all.
It is crucial to get all soap out.
Dry carefully.
This may work for tents.
Last edited by gyre on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gyre

Springbar

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:55 pm

By cheap, I mean cheap for what it does.
Heavy, but effective

Campmor is a good source for old model north face tents WITH warranty.

Their stock ranges from crap to brilliant.

I found cheaper outlets online.
Check with north face to be sure they are a distributor.
I know campmor is.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks. Where do I get Coleman stakes - and are they easier to deal with than rebar?

They are a little easier than rebar, and not as sharp on the hands. You will need a short sledge hammer (or other stake-appropriate hammer) and work gloves to pound them in, and I would leave them a half inch out of the ground topped with a tennis ball topper or pounded flush to the ground if you will have/be able to borrow a wrecking bar/claw hammer to pull them out.

Coleman is a major brand of camping gear in the United States. Basic and fairly reliable. I'm pretty happy with them for tent purposes:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Steel-Nai ... B002HU086C

Oh, WalMart has 'em if you find out you can do a ship-to-store thing with WalMart (shipping to a store is not my forté):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/COLEMAN-TENT- ... 0/13848624

These stakes pack small enough that you could put 2+ packs in checked baggage. But honestly, this size (or a suitable equivalent) will probably be available in a large U.S. store that carries camping equipment and you will probably not want them taking up space/weight in your checked baggage.
Savannah

Postby Eddie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm

gyre seems to be a gear whore, like me. I've got some high end camping gear but I'm kind of hesitant to use any of it at BRC. For one I would hate for my $900 tent to be ruined during one trip that has lasted me hundreds of nights elsewhere.

I'd also hate to have my $300 sleeping bag covered in playa dust and not be able to get it out. A $40-$50 slumberjack sleeping bag is a great compromise between ultra light weight and beefy and long lasting. Actually, I use my slumberjack more often than I do my big agnes.

High end gear is expensive because of the high tech materials and light weight. If you're coming in on a 4 wheeled vehicle you can get away with something that's a bit heavier and packs a bit larger. They are much cheaper, but not because they are cheaper quality per se but because they use cheaper materials, which, often, mean they are a bit thicker, heavier and therefor tougher. All that lightweight comes with the knowledge that you should treat it with some TLC.

Campmor, located across the water from NYC, just 10 minutes from the GW bridge is excellent. The staff can help you pick something out in case you have questions and there must be 100 tents already setup for you to try out and play with.

Returns are hassle free. No, I don't work for them.
Eddie

Postby lemur » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:26 pm

im not sure why you cant just bring it all with you.. i bring a lot of stuff and im still able to fit it in 2 bags worth.. both of which are right at the limit of "carry-on" size in the USA..

i made a thread about it......

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45646 ?
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm

i used a thermarest pad for the first time this year, after trying a few thicknesses and types of closed cell pads for a few years and it was the best sleep i had had out there.

it was surely thick enough, i didnt need to add any air to it all week to keep it nice and comfy, my hips didnt dig in to the ground like in the past.. it was great.

highly suggest the thermarest pads for their comfort and more so for their packability, they pack down to half the size of a closed cell pad and weigh a lot less than hollow blow up beds...

I also moved away from big huge stakes like rebar to very small lightweight MSR Ground Hog tent stakes.. they held just as good at 1/10th of the weight and half the volume..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Eddie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:25 am

What specific model thermarest pad did you use? They make like 40 different ones. I ditched all my thermarest pads ages ago, although the self inflating prolite 4 was nice because you didn't have to blow it up I wanted a bit more comfort.

I'm using an exped downmat 9DLX which slides into the sleeve of my big agnes sleeping bag. This is by far the most amazing combination, you get into it like you would any other bed, no rolling off the mat in the middle of the night, you can roll around in there and still stay put. The sleeping bag also has a pocket for a pillow which stays in place all night. You can also just stuff the pocket with some t shirts if you wish.

My pad has an r value (insulation rating) of 8.0, that's everest territory for a sleeping pad. You can toss it down on an ice lake and sleep warmly.

Think it will be too warm for the playa?
Eddie

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:36 am

Eddie, I take my good down gear to the playa, with no regrets.
Wouldn't want it stolen though.

I recommend Feathered Friends.
gyre

Free Foam Mattresses

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:45 am

I've still got some foam hospital grade mattresses in zip up covers.
Too thick to roll up usually, but nice enough to sleep on at home.

These typically are fire resistant and washable, and not cheap.
I can send specs and even brand and model on some.

Pick up in memphis or I'll ship at your cost.
Most are around 4" thick.
Sometimes people come through to the burn with enough space for these.

Great rv beds too.

These companies make truckers beds and rv beds too in custom sizes, if you want to buy new.
One company claims to use a unique style of foam made in a vacuum, that doesn't age.

Email me if interested. (not pm please)
gyre

Postby Eddie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 pm

gyre wrote:Eddie, I take my good down gear to the playa, with no regrets.
Wouldn't want it stolen though.

I recommend Feathered Friends.

I've had a feathered friends bag, sold it, I'm partial to Big Agnes these days. But FF does make some nice bags if you don't mind the price tag.
Eddie

Re: Free Foam Mattresses

Postby Eddie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 pm

gyre wrote:I've still got some foam hospital grade mattresses in zip up covers.
Too thick to roll up usually, but nice enough to sleep on at home.

These typically are fire resistant and washable, and not cheap.
I can send specs and even brand and model on some.

Pick up in memphis or I'll ship at your cost.
Most are around 4" thick.
Sometimes people come through to the burn with enough space for these.

Great rv beds too.

These companies make truckers beds and rv beds too in custom sizes, if you want to buy new.
One company claims to use a unique style of foam made in a vacuum, that doesn't age.

Email me if interested. (not pm please)

Thanks, but something tells me thats not fitting on the back of a motorcycle.
Eddie

Re: Tent sleepive them away to peopng bag and mat online

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Not a small motorcycle.

I'll give them to people using them off playa too.
Very comfy.
gyre

Postby 48_love » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:38 pm

I use one of these backpakcing ... not the lightest or cheapest, but you can sleep on snow with it and stay warm. And it's soft!

http://www.rei.com/product/780365/exped ... -with-pump
Exped 9 Down Sleeping Pad with Integrated Pump
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Return to Shelter & Camping