Setting Camp Perimeter

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Setting Camp Perimeter

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Let me preface this by saying that search still leaves something to be desired. Evidently the word "camp" is ignored when I search for "camp perimeter" or "camp fence" so I get lots of info on the trash fence and event perimeter but not what I'm looking for. There must be some sort of ignore list (it literally states "ignored: camp") or algorithim on frequently used words.

To make a short story longer, after speaking with ARTery, I decided to rescind my application for deep playa placement on one of my projects because of the difficulites in mitigating moop and safety issues with an potentially unattended installation. It was suggested that it would be more easily contained within an "alley" adjacent to my camp (no worries on land grab issues, I'll be on one of the outer rings).

So, any ideas on whether t posts with "safety" tape wrapped around them would hold up for the week? Would I be better off with flagged paracord? I still have a little work to do before I have a definite area but it should be somewhere around 50yds x 10 yds, I'm thinking 24 posts with a 15" span between them. The thing is it needs to stand for the week it won't just be a temporary marker needed for a day or two.

As a corollary, I thought I read somewhere that t posts are okay and u posts are not. True, dat?

TIA
Last edited by Sic Pup on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Re: Setting Camp Perimeter

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm

I think the village has a few rolls of orange trash fence that we you if traffic gets too much.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm

T posts are much more rigid than U posts. The latter twists and bends relatively easy compared to the former.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:50 pm

home depot sells the orange plastic fencing, T posts, and zip ties. As do many other hardwear stores
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 pm

EspressoDude wrote:home depot sells the orange plastic fencing, T posts, and zip ties. As do many other hardwear stores

The plastic fence comes 36 inch.. I just cut it in half.. Been trash fencing my camp sence 03. Lazy last year.. Some people could not find me.. So the fence will be up this year..
unjonharley

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:50 pm

The best I saw last year was a string of Xmas lights. Instead of saying, "Oh Gosh, somebody is roping off his territory," it was more like, "Ah cool, that looks nice."
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:52 pm

I have some tactical rolls of razor wire, deployment handles and all...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:05 am

unjonharley wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:home depot sells the orange plastic fencing, T posts, and zip ties. As do many other hardwear stores

The plastic fence comes 36 inch.. I just cut it in half.. Been trash fencing my camp sence 03. Lazy last year.. Some people could not find me.. So the fence will be up this year..

.....and you string it on the upper part of the 4 ft exposed t posts, leaving the bottom open?

One thing about that is it will certainly preclude my having to deal with unrelated moop collecting and becoming my responsibility, I'm kind of on the fence about that one (pun intended). LNT vs NIMBY.

I failed to mention I'm traveling from the east coast and really hadn't anticipated making room for 3-4 100ft rolls of the stuff (as opposed to 1000 ft roll of "Danger" tape), so I like the idea of halving the load, hmm I'm going to have to think about this a bit more.

ygmir wrote: I have some tactical rolls of razor wire, deployment handles and all...........

Cool, but what I'm trying to accomplish here is to keep folk from danger, you know prevent them from wandering into the firing range, although that might work it could raise other issues. Like who has the responsibility of collecting the blood soaked playa? I mean technically the bleeders should be making a mad dash for the JOTS, but you know those crazy FBs and SPs. BTW, I'm thinking of dismantling this on Friday to somewhat limit the potential for problems related to drunken idiocy (I'm no fun).

Any thoughts on the span of 15 feet between posts (also trying to limit the number of posts)? I'm guessing I might need a cord of some sort on top to prevent sagging.

Again thanks for your useful thoughts.
Sic Pup

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:22 am

Danger / Caution / Minefield /Chem Weapons tape does not stop anyone, they just duck under

Apok used plastic barb wire a few years, doesn't stop folks, but makes good decoration.

you don't have to haul it all the way from the east coast...leave what you have set up around your house there..
buy it in Reno/Sparks or your last big town. Run a rope tightly at the top of fence fabric and the posts can be 20 -25 ft apart.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:45 am

I bought 24 inch T post at Home Depot..

They are very light.. 18-20 feet with a rope along the top works good..

A100ft roll will make 200foot when cut in half to 18 inches..

Unroll reroll the fence losely.. It will flatten out for transport..
unjonharley

Postby Sail Man » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:55 am

ygmir wrote:I have some tactical rolls of razor wire, deployment handles and all...........

Don't forget the claymores and tiger traps

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:28 pm

EspressoDude wrote:Danger / Caution / Minefield /Chem Weapons tape does not stop anyone, they just duck under

Apok used plastic barb wire a few years, doesn't stop folks, but makes good decoration.

you don't have to haul it all the way from the east coast...leave what you have set up around your house there..
buy it in Reno/Sparks or your last big town. Run a rope tightly at the top of fence fabric and the posts can be 20 -25 ft apart.

I hear you, I'm not so much concerned about stragglers walking into the line of fire as delineating it so no one attempts to pitch a tent under it (cue Yggy).

The barb wire sounds awesome.

In either case, I still need to reserve room for it but I'm feeling a lot better after all the help you guys are offering. I tend to over-engineer everything (my deck would support an elephant) and I guees I'm getting a little antsy in designing things so that they're collapsable and efficiently transported (as opposed to built like a brick shithouse).

unjonharley wrote:

They are very light.. 18-20 feet with a a rope along the top works good..

Awesome, so simple, but it wouldn't have occured to me to flatten (forest for the trees).

Not to be pedantic, so you're driving the post but 6 inches, how easy is it to remove, is a t post tool needed or could one wing it with a pair of vice grips and some rocking back and forth?

Note to self: make a rebar/post driver tool with large diameter pipe and endcap.

Again, I thank you all. Excellent info.
Sic Pup

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Sic Pup wrote:

unjonharley wrote:

They are very light.. 18-20 feet with a a rope along the top works good..

Awesome, so simple, but it wouldn't have occured to me to flatten (forest for the trees).

Not to be pedantic, so you're driving the post but 6 inches, how easy is it to remove, is a t post tool needed or could one wing it with a pair of vice grips and some rocking back and forth?

Note to self: make a rebar/post driver tool with large diameter pipe and endcap.

Again, I thank you all. Excellent info.

Six inches with those shaped post is enough T post puller wont work on 24 inch post.. Vicegrips and pry bar work fine..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Sic Pup wrote:(my deck would support an elephant)

Lucky you. I had an elephant over for tea a few weeks ago, and believe me, no bigger social faux pas than having your guest fall through your floor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:(my deck would support an elephant)

Lucky you. I had an elephant over for tea a few weeks ago, and believe me, no bigger social faux pas than having your guest fall through your floor.

Ranking a close second is the host gift he leaves behind, I keep telling him his presence is enough... but noooo
Sic Pup

Return to Shelter & Camping