suspending shade mesh between two RVs?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

suspending shade mesh between two RVs?

Postby poisenloaf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Is this possible? We have two 37-40' class A RVs that will be parallel to each other and we were wondering if it was possible somehow to suspend a 20x30' piece of shade net between them? Most shade structures I've seen use pvc or metal poles to make a frame for the shade to attach to with zip ties or bungee balls. Is that the preferred method or can we do something off the RVs using a bunch of guy wires running over the top and side of the RV to rebar stakes?
poisenloaf

Re: suspending shade mesh between two RVs?

Postby Packoderm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 pm

I've seen a very large piece of shade mesh spread between two buildings with no other support. It was about 30x50 and would stay there all summer each year. It worked out fine.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:14 am

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 am

Packoderm wrote:I've seen a very large piece of shade mesh spread between two buildings with no other support. It was about 30x50 and would stay there all summer each year. It worked out fine.

Ah, but at Burning Man, there are those windy days. Any guy wire you run over the RV will wear holes into the paint/finish. Using the roof racks may be possible, but I have the feeling you need something you could drop quickly if the winds got too high. For some reason I'm thinking I recall a thread where the shade was attached to a roof rack and tore it right out.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 am

On the plus side, there are few things your could rig yourself that would be as sturdy as an RV.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Packoderm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 am

AntiM wrote:
Packoderm wrote:I've seen a very large piece of shade mesh spread between two buildings with no other support. It was about 30x50 and would stay there all summer each year. It worked out fine.

Ah, but at Burning Man, there are those windy days. Any guy wire you run over the RV will wear holes into the paint/finish. Using the roof racks may be possible, but I have the feeling you need something you could drop quickly if the winds got too high. For some reason I'm thinking I recall a thread where the shade was attached to a roof rack and tore it right out.

I suppose a person could frame a wooden rack that fits over the rv and is held on by straps going over the side. I have it visualized in my mind, but it would be difficult to write in a post. The wooden rack would be made of 2x4s and would be padded where it contacts the rv. It would rest on the top of the rv and hang over one 2x4 width down each side. The straps could be kicked out a bit on top so there is no rubbing contact with the side of the rv.
Packoderm

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 am

As long as you stick with shade clothe and nothing heavier, just bungie ball too the racks on the roofs of the RVs should be OK.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Boomr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

I had (at one time) a plan to attach aluminet to my PVC pipe shade structure, throw it over my pop-top VW, and secure it with magnets to the other side, down low. However, If I bring the van back with all the paint scraped off, I'll be in trouble. Then I also thought that this might not be effective with no air space between the aluminet and the van. So now I have a plan to live under the shade structure and turn the van into a community bread oven or some such.

That van is nice and quiet. Sure would be nice to be able to sleep in it past dawn.

So what do you smarty-pantses out there think?
http://totheburn.posterous.com/ The story of two burgins who think they know what they are talking about.
Boomr

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 pm

IMO unless the vehicle has a sturdy rack or tie-off points, or you don't care about the paint, or it's a rental cargo truck, it's probably too much hassle to attempt a slung-over-the-top shade rig.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Brxdfw » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

I like the community oven idea... My vehicle is black and I only opened it a couple of times during the week to get supplies. Seriously, I think you could bake bread in there...
Brx
Brxdfw

Postby Packoderm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Boomr wrote:I had (at one time) a plan to attach aluminet to my PVC pipe shade structure, throw it over my pop-top VW, and secure it with magnets to the other side, down low. However, If I bring the van back with all the paint scraped off, I'll be in trouble. Then I also thought that this might not be effective with no air space between the aluminet and the van. So now I have a plan to live under the shade structure and turn the van into a community bread oven or some such.

That van is nice and quiet. Sure would be nice to be able to sleep in it past dawn.

So what do you smarty-pantses out there think?

It is still not cut down. It will be lower when I get a pipe cutter. I also have shade mesh for the sides. The shade on top cooled it down 15 degrees with all the windows closed.
Packoderm

Postby Trishntek » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Couple ideas to mitigate rubs and their resulting scars.

Cut 2" PVC pipe in half lengthwise and place over the corners of the RV to lift and separate rope from direct contact on the paint.

Use styrofoam pipe insulation (noodles) over the rope where it rubs.

Permanently install eyebolts on the vehicle. (unwise for rentals)

The more grommets you can utilize on the material, the more lines will stabilize it. The more lines stabilizing the material, the less stress on each line. The less stress on each line, the less pressure on the vehicle surface. The less pressure on the vehicle surface, the less likely there will be damage.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ibdave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 pm

I have taken my RV over 12 years. The roof rack will pull right out.. I have repaired a few.. Not meant for much more than a grab bar..
Like what Trishntek said with the PVC pool noodle(thick with center hole) might protect the roof. The larger Panels you see are under tension via cables. Many pounds of tension. Look up shade sails for info. How much does it weigh? Have you thought about a center support pole? Center support pole crash all the time @ BM because of the winds, so be sure to secure it to the shade cloth and just not holding it up. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby wedeliver » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 pm

We pulled at 30' trailer out with our 34' Motor home and tied a very large tarp between the two, we had the tarp roped over the top of the rv's to a point where they were tied down. we also had ropes on the inside so the tarp could not catch a whole lot of wind. We had no problem with rubbing or scratching, as we used towels or rags where the ropes rubbed on the RV's. I think my son posted a video someplace that should show the setup. I will look for it.

edited to add: I just read the post above and rather then any kind of center support post we had a rope in every gromet hole and where the tarp was suspended between the rv's we pulled the tarp towards the ground (rebar stakes) making it very firm so it would not move even in a heavy wind.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby poisenloaf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Also, what are some good suggestions for guy wires?

I was originally looking at 5/32 parachord but that will stretch right and the shade may droop a bit.

What other choices are there.. what about just straight up 12ga galvanized wire? 100' is $6.
poisenloaf

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm

600 ft spool of 3/8" poly truck rope is about $70.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 am

local Fred Meyer / Kroger has hollow 'water noodles' for under $2. great chafe protectors. also pieces of garden or heater hose work well.

edit to add:

get enough aluminet / shade cloth / camo net to totally cover the space between and the vehicles, and hang over the outside = no rope burns on the vehicles.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby poisenloaf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:29 am

EspressoDude wrote:local Fred Meyer / Kroger has hollow 'water noodles' for under $2. great chafe protectors. also pieces of garden or heater hose work well.

edit to add:

get enough aluminet / shade cloth / camo net to totally cover the space between and the vehicles, and hang over the outside = no rope burns on the vehicles.

I think we are going to go with pool noodles to prevent rubbing. Our RVs are 40' Class As though so the shade cloth expense goes up dramatically if we try to cover them as well. Just a 20x30' is about $240.

We are going to secure with probably 20+ pieces of candy cane rebar at various points. Just trying to determine whether paracord or something with less stretch to use for all the guy wires.
poisenloaf

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:48 am

I vote ridged as possible, so less stretch.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 pm

poisenloaf wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:local Fred Meyer / Kroger has hollow 'water noodles' for under $2. great chafe protectors. also pieces of garden or heater hose work well.

edit to add:

I think we are going to go with pool noodles to prevent rubbing. Our RVs are 40' Class As though so the shade cloth expense goes up dramatically if we try to cover them as well. Just a 20x30' is about $240.

We are going to secure with probably 20+ pieces of candy cane rebar at various points. Just trying to determine whether paracord or something with less stretch to use for all the guy wires.

Where are you located? There is a place here in Sacramento that sells high quality shade cloth for 25 cents per sq. ft. That would be $150 for your 20x30. PM me if you want the connection.
Packoderm

Postby Boijoy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:58 pm

you can use suction cups to secure shade to your rv. the heavy duty kind for glass.

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Trishntek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Boijoy wrote:you can use suction cups to secure shade to your rv. the heavy duty kind for glass.

That sucks! :lol:
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Return to Shelter & Camping