'Clamshelling' a Carport; advice please

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

'Clamshelling' a Carport; advice please

Postby moonrise » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Sorry for yet another 10x20 costco carport thread.

This year I need to learn the best method(s) for 'clam-shelling' a carport without cutting up the canvas panels, particularly the end panels.
The doorway side panels would not be used in case it rains or what not.

I think I can roll the end panels up and secure with bungees, then roll them down and use weights to keep them in place.

OR

Leave the end panels off and use thrift store sheets w/harbour freight plastic carpenter's type squeeze grip clips to hold them in place to block some wind and sun.

Also, I'm not quite sure how I should ratchet strap (to rebar stakes) the 'clam-shelled' carport down without stressing it and defeating the purpose of making it more wind proof. Is it as simple as setting the ratchet straps in an X configuration (2 x's per side) and attaching to rebars pounded in at spots that will keep the ratchet straps as flush as possible to the panels?

Any additional and/or better ideas from the 'hivemind' of eplaya would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! Moon :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Trishntek » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:43 am

I highly recommend Tposts duct taped to the legs which alleviates the need for guy lines.

For our side walls on our shade structure, we have pipe to act as the tube to roll it up and bungee. Keep the pipe tied to the bottom of the wall and you have a rigid "weight" which you can tie to stakes when deployed.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:05 am

The shelter systems site offers a wide variety of joints, which may allow you to build exactly what you want.
I think you may be able to order custom tarps cheap enough for ends.

shelsys.com
gyre

Postby moonrise » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:10 am

Trishntek wrote:I highly recommend Tposts duct taped to the legs which alleviates the need for guy lines.

For our side walls on our shade structure, we have pipe to act as the tube to roll it up and bungee. Keep the pipe tied to the bottom of the wall and you have a rigid "weight" which you can tie to stakes when deployed.

Thanks TnT, I did use the carport on playa last year, set up normally.
There's been a change of plans, and now I will need to clam-shell it.

The pipe could work if just sheets. If I use and want to preserve the end panels, I think I can haul heavy weights out there and hold them down.

It seems Tposts would be overkill if it's low to the ground, as in clam-shelled.

Gyre, I'm tired of ordering obscure items, the carport will do or it can simply get set up normally and if the wind flattens it, oh well.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 am

The t-post configuration does work with a clamshell carport. Period, the legs and the feet are at an angle. The back legs are actually the roof poles.

We do the X between the long legs in the front (you make two Xs). The back is secured with a rope straight down each pole to a rebar, so four of those. You have to remember to loop your straps on those (at the roof joint) while you assemble the roof. The back where the leg poles should be, we made short foot high leg poles, made them from a cut up trampoline frame. There's a little curved section of the tramo frame which made the lets angle down correctly.

You will not be using the back sidewall, the roof becomes your wall. The end walls don't work at all, we dont' even take them out with us anymore. We use either out white camo, or the custom cut billboard vinyl ends we made. One of our end walls ripped in the wind when we were back on the full stand up configuration, so it had to be replaced anyway. Yes, we use bigass spring clamps to hold on our custom ends, although Larry has grommeted a few things.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby moonrise » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks AntiM, I was hoping you'd post some info. I appreciate it, being busy time and all.

I think I may skip my bright idea of using the end panels. I can spring clip the sheets on and weight 'em down for some shade on the ends. Or maybe buy some white camo netting for the ends, if it isn't too pricey.

I was surprised I could walk underneath in 'clam-shell' phase, as I was setting it up last week at my place. Field test=gooood idea, haha.
I have a trailer for sleeping; the carport will be a shade structure this year.
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

We will have to exchange visits on the playa, I'll show you my clamshell if you show me yours! :wink:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:26 am

What about putting the open clam side against the side of the trailer?

That way you could anchor the open side of the clamshell to the trailer, helping to shade it.

If you had 2, you could put them on both sides. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 am

We have two clams facing each other, with a shade area in between. The open side actually makes a nice "porch". We do attach that sidewall, roll up into bungees. We have lowered it once, last year when we got the heavy rain. Had to move everything in the shade are under the ports, but nothing was ruined, just wet.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby moonrise » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 am

Yep, I have Antim's Home for Wayward Art on list. Lookin' forward to it :P

FIGJAM, I've thought of that but, I'm not sure of the footprint of the camp as a whole, yet.

As it stands for now, I need a free standing clam-shelled carport.
moonrise

Return to Shelter & Camping