Grey Water "discouraged" but allowed

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Grey Water "discouraged" but allowed

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Cut and paste from the burningman.com website:

For reasons of sanitation, and sheer volume, both Black Rock City and the BLM discourage scattering. However, if you're in a very small camp, with minimal dish and body washing water, you might choose to pour your grey water through a filter or sieve (better, a paint sieve or even pantyhose), disinfect the water, then, since it is treated, disperse it on your street to keep down dust. A watering can works nicely for sprinkling.

So, what's the deal? Is "NO GRAY WATER ON THE PLAYA" just an urban legend?
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 pm

It's a good rule of thumb that might keep people from just throwing anything on the playa.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm

It is easier to pour grey water back in to a container for transport out of BRC than it is to filter, sanitize and sprinkle on the streets.
I've done it all. Mooped as a newbie. Set up failed evap ponds. Made and operated a very good evaporator that left me with less than a gallon of grey water at the end of the week. Recently I just pump the grey water in to a barrel and dump it in to the sewer when I get back home. This is the easiest least time consuming way to do it. YRMV.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

If you enter "grey water" into the Burning Man search, you determine that a camp of 5 or fewer may officially sprinkle a smallish, bleached-treated amount of grey water using a watering can in the street. But to evaporate first using the grey water evaporation pond searchable with the same words is recommended and actually works--so I do that too.

And that has been true for at least 3 years if not more.

(I print it out, in case anyone gets burnier than thou with me.)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:53 am

I've seen lots of ideas for making an evap pond more efficient, most seemed either way too complicated (at least for my skill set) or just downright ugly ( for my aesthetic taste), like hanging wicking material over the pond, for example. We have, however, found a simple technique that actually works...a broom.

Most important is using relatively thick black plastic, available at Home Depot, then keeping a broom nearby. If you notice standing/pooling water during the course of the day, just take the broom and sweep it around. We make sure everyone in the camp is aware of this and is responsible for their share of sweeping. Since deploying this method, we have never had to carry out a drop of grey water.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 am

Double post
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 am

"Disnfect" is a big word. It means dose it with enough chlorine to make it smell like a swimming pool, then scatter THAT on the playa.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:32 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:"Disnfect" is a big word. It means dose it with enough chlorine to make it smell like a swimming pool, then scatter THAT on the playa.

Well, if you're disinfecting a swimming pool, yes. However, someone from BMOrg has posted instructions, which I posted to the "How do you disinfect Grey Water" thread here:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=10344&highlight=bleach

One of my posts there quotes the official definition of grey water according to the BLM. There is no consensus on how grey water is defined, by the way. The definition depends on the agenda of the person doing the defining, so I'm happy the BLM finally issued their definition.

Finally, searching burningman.com for gray water gives different results than a search for grey water. There's no consensus on that spelling. :->
phil

Postby graidawg » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:02 pm

phil wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:"Disnfect" is a big word. It means dose it with enough chlorine to make it smell like a swimming pool, then scatter THAT on the playa.

Well, if you're disinfecting a swimming pool, yes. However, someone from BMOrg has posted instructions, which I posted to the "How do you disinfect Grey Water" thread here:

One of my posts there quotes the official definition of grey water according to the BLM. There is no consensus on how grey water is defined, by the way. The definition depends on the agenda of the person doing the defining, so I'm happy the BLM finally issued their definition.

Finally, searching burningman.com for gray water gives different results than a search for grey water. There's no consensus on that spelling. :->

so if we spell it GRAI water i can sprinkle MY water on the playa? just checking.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:08 pm

phil wrote:

Of course, I am playing devil's advocate, or simply being abstruse. But the truth is on the playa, all rules are subject to interpretation. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sail Man » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:04 pm

graidawg wrote:
phil wrote:

so if we spell it GRAI water i can sprinkle MY water on the playa? just checking.

Sure, if you want to be spanked with a rolled up newspaper and have your nose rubbed in it :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Grey Water is a great mixer in a number of fine concoctions.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Grey Water is a great mixer in a number of fine concoctions.

In fact, Dougly is a frequent drinker of Grey Water, and as you can easily see, it's made him a man of the world, suave, assured, popular and gracious.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Grey Water is a great mixer in a number of fine concoctions.

In fact, Dougly is a frequent drinker of Grey Water, and as you can easily see, it's made him a man of the world, suave, assured, popular and gracious.

"He doesn't always drink water, but when he does, he prefers Grey Water..." ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Ugly Dougly

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Stay thirsty, my friends.

Well at TTITD, that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

"He is... the most interesting Eplayan in the world."

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Shelter & Camping