Calling home from Berlin // Birgin says Hi // advice needed

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

GT

Postby berlinchameleon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:25 am

Checked back with GT and reserved space for one extra bag. That's going to work. Thanks for the reminder.

I have the 12in steel stakes the springbar comes with - everyone I've asked says those work fine on the playa.

thanks again
--------------------------
There are three intolerable things in life - cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.
berlinchameleon

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 am

Phil has a springbar and a link to a lot of useful information.

Bob has a link which may be useful for shade ideas.

To clarify what I said about my shade last time, the three pieces I used form one upright arch to go over the center of the tent.
As it lined up with the tent frame, the vertical parts were taped to the center tent frame.
The peak was six inches or more over the top of the tent.

Then the vinyl was stretched from end to end over the whole tent and staked down.
I used bungees to damp movement.

The problem in higher winds was flapping, which threatened to destroy the whole thing.
AntiM's Mylarry, who is quite a genius at this sort of thing, immediately saw the problem and showed me how to tie up loose flaps with rope.
I even bungeed some of these to stakes too.
The tent was good for an additional 30 knots after that, and quieter too.

My tent was not a springbar, but significantly weaker, so the shade material was actually reinforcing the tent.

Even with heavy billboard vinyl, it took two layers to fully block light.
The difference is significant.
Lighter materials are available though.
gyre

Postby berlinchameleon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 am

gyre wrote:Phil has a springbar and a link to a lot of useful information.

Bob has a link which may be useful for shade ideas.

To clarify what I said about my shade last time, the three pieces I used form one upright arch to go over the center of the tent.
As it lined up with the tent frame, the vertical parts were taped to the center tent frame.
The peak was six inches or more over the top of the tent.

Then the vinyl was stretched from end to end over the whole tent and staked down.
I used bungees to damp movement.

The problem in higher winds was flapping, which threatened to destroy the whole thing.
AntiM's Mylarry, who is quite a genius at this sort of thing, immediately saw the problem and showed me how to tie up loose flaps with rope.
I even bungeed some of these to stakes too.
The tent was good for an additional 30 knots after that, and quieter too.

My tent was not a springbar, but significantly weaker, so the shade material was actually reinforcing the tent.

Even with heavy billboard vinyl, it took two layers to fully block light.
The difference is significant.
Lighter materials are available though.

:idea: THANKS
--------------------------
There are three intolerable things in life - cold coffee, lukewarm champagne, and overexcited women.
berlinchameleon

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping