questions on camping and such

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

questions on camping and such

Postby bittersweettome » Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 pm

First off, I'm on my phone so I may be posting in the wrong place and asking things that have already been asked. So sorry!
So a relative of mine is going to burning man, he said that I need to talk to the people I will be camping with to make sure there's room and such, from what I read in other post it seems like we just show our tickets than drive to any spot that isn't reserved for theme camps. Also I will be camping alone, I'm going to drive hundreds of miles there. do I just bring a weeks worth of food water tent and some gifts?
Thanks for any help, I've never set foot on the playa but its been a desire eating away at me and I'm keep putting it off saying "next year when I have more money". I want to participate!
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby Trishntek » Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Bittersweetome, welcome to ePlaya! Welcome HOME!

If you have accessed this forum, you have probably been to the homepage of Burning Man. It sounds like you have done some research and understand the fundamentals. I strongly advise you to look at the Survival Guide from 2010. This year's publication will come out in July.

The environment is hostile. And you need to be prepared extremely dusty, windy conditions with the occasional downpour. It can be in the triple digits during the day and drop down to the 30's and 40's at night. Whatever waste you create must be taken away by YOU when you leave. Everything except for what comes out of your body.

I apologize if you already know these things. You have done good to come here and ask questions. As-far-as the gifts are concerned, you can be a gift to someone who needs help. A hug, a smile, an entertaining story are all great gifts. If you have something made by your own hands that you wish to share, feel free! I'm just saying don't feel obliged to give gifts for the sake of gift giving. Gifts are tangible and/or practical but not always material.

HUGGGGGGSSS and again Welcome HOME!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby phil » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm

http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
for the guide for first timers. Feel free to camp alone. Louise and I did it for years before we hooked up with a theme camp. You'll be friends with all your neighbors in no time. Please do be sure, thought, that the spot you've picked isn't reserved for a theme camp.

Louise and I have a page for first timers at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/BriefGuide.html
It has suggestions of additional things to bring.

If you want to bring gifts, feel free. However, it is that nature of gifts that they are not expected and not required. Whatever makes you happy.

I'm glad you're coming this year instead of putting it off. You'll be even gladder.
phil

Postby TomServo » Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Plan as best you can. The trick is to make yourself as comfortable as possible! That means shade and water. Spend your first 24 hours adjusting to the climate and wierdness. Your neighbors will quickly become your friends.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby bittersweettome » Mon May 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks. For the reply's! I was a little nervous going by myself and worried I'd be wondering around alone.. Sense my relative said they had to contact someone before bing able to camp I'm guessing their part of a theme camp. Thanks!
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby bittersweettome » Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh and one more thing, so we don't plan our camping spot ahead of time? And I'm going to be buying a car around $2000. Has anyone else driven a piece of crap car across the states?? And how much money do you usually spend on supplies for the week on the playa? I'm broke but that can't stop me! Thanks everyone! I'm reading the links right now.
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 pm

You will need: A place to sleep. Maybe two places, one for night and one for day. Day will entail a shade structure. There's plenty about that around, look at thread titles in this sub-forum, rather than using the search engine.
You will need food and water. You may find your appetite eases. Mine doesn't, but many people discover they just don't eat as much. Water is a gallon and a half a day. Less if you don't use it to shower or wash dishes. Figure out how important cooked food is to you. Cans and variants there on work for many people.
Cleanliness. Baby wipes or a spray bottle are the cheapest, easiest ways to go.
I'd worry about a pos car. If you have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere and have to get obscure parts, then you man never get to the burn. It's a false economy not to get the car in top shape for a road trip.
Bicycles are vital to many, it does let you see more of the city and get out to more of hte open playa events and pieces. Bring a lock, drunks will try to ride away on it otherwise.
Whatever you can find used, good. Whatever you can borrow, good. Past that I don't know what to say.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Mon May 30, 2011 9:56 pm

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm

$2000 can be a good car.

Depends on the choice.

They may have meant to check on the neighbors where you camp.
See if you're comfortable.
gyre

Postby Savannah » Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Oh and one more thing, so we don't plan our camping spot ahead of time?

That's right--unless you're in a theme camp with placement, you don't plan exactly where you're going to camp. There are certain things you can take into account, however. Large raves tend to crop up at 2 o clock on the map and at 10 o clock as well. There will be a map released closer to the event, and given at the door as well. Study it . . .

In general, the Esplanade and the inner street (streets A through D) tend to be noisiest, the most spoken-for, and the closest to the action. It's good not to camp right next to the porta potties, 'cause the doors slam all night long.

Watch out for theme camp areas. To avoid misunderstandings, talk to your neighbors on both sides before you start pounding stakes.

And how much money do you usually spend on supplies for the week on the playa? I'm broke but that can't stop me! Thanks everyone! I'm reading the links right now.

Good! Read everything you can. Ill-prepared people tend to be miserable out there. Well prepared, mentally flexible, well-hydrated people are much more likely to have a fantastic time. No promises. :)

Cost varies wildly depending on how you're getting there, and how much stuff you borrow or get cheaply or already own, and how pampered an experience you crave. No one can tell you exactly how much it will cost you on the whole. Might want to start a spreadsheet, seriously. Use the list of "at minimum, you need" items from the Survival Guide as a template. Be prepared for costs to stack up in strange and surprising ways. :) Note that you do not need special food or MREs out there if you have a can opener or better. Call in some favors w/ family and friends. Borrow supplies from people who camp only once every decade. Hit Army surplus. Get a canteen and a little backpack. Don't spend money on gifts your first time out. Just participate, & don't be a drain on the city, and you'll already be a stellar virgin.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby bittersweettome » Tue May 31, 2011 12:32 am

This is such a big help! Thank you so much. I'm thinking of a 1998 ford explorer, a good tune up and it should be good for road tripin'? So a good tent, water, food and some other survival gear, I should be able to find some cheap used stuff. Thank you!
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby Minxy » Tue May 31, 2011 12:53 am

Used is good!

One tip. Set up everything at home for a trial run. I bought a used shade structure prior to my first burn. Heh. I got out there and couldn't get my shade to work. :D I ended up moving my camp chair around my mini van and used it for shade. :D :D Pathetic but hey, it worked!
Minxy

Postby gyre » Tue May 31, 2011 1:55 am

The explorer isn't bad.
Some models were overly heavy.
Many forums on these.

If a ranger will work, consider that.
I have one with 4 cyl and manual.
20 mpg in town in a high mileage useful truck.
Up to 36 reported highway, prob before ethanol crap.

If you're willing to buy something with paint or body damage, that can help.

On maintenance, unpredictable failures or catastrophic are the ones to avoid.
Belts, hoses, bearings, etc.
If it's auto, add a trans cooler.
Synthetic is good for rear and trans, also engine.
Redline or better.
Ford and other gauges are iffy.
Good to upgrade.
Reliability, then safety, then mileage, etc.

Any car you look at, consider spares costs.
I have a volvo with some costly parts, but most parts are cheap used or don't break.
Engines last ??? million miles or so - 240.
No one knows yet.
Bodies are cheap if you have a wreck.
Handling and brakes are superb stock.
Insurance is low.

Full size vans are a neglected area too, if you need the room.
Often as efficient as a smaller suv and far cheaper to repair.
I have a short one, same size as the explorer inside.

The old izusu diesel coupe is a gem if you find one.
Really ugly, really efficient.

Rideshare works sometimes too.
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 am

I never find good used tents here.
Some areas differ.

Good enough shade can protect a crap tent from wind.
gyre

Postby C.f.M. » Tue May 31, 2011 6:28 am

bittersweettome wrote: I'm broke but that can't stop me!

Yes, yes it can and furthermore, it should.

If you need it, from a bobby pin to a generator to a car, you bring it.

shelter
sleeping supplies
bathing supplies
food
water
drinks
booze
clothes
shoes
sunscreen
gas for the car
first aid supplies
etc., etc., etc.

Starting from an abjectly clueless place with no money screams 2012 is the year for you.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby bittersweettome » Tue May 31, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for the info on the cars, ill definitely check the price of rangers in my area. I used to go camping allot, so I'm somewhat prepared, but I would like to find a small easy tent, I have a huge one. I have a few grand to spend, so I'm not too broke I don't think :)
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby Minxy » Tue May 31, 2011 8:43 am

Hehe, broke is relative. :P
Minxy

Postby C.f.M. » Tue May 31, 2011 8:48 am

bittersweettome wrote:Thanks for the info on the cars, ill definitely check the price of rangers in my area. I used to go camping allot, so I'm somewhat prepared, but I would like to find a small easy tent, I have a huge one. I have a few grand to spend, so I'm not too broke I don't think :)

Oh for pete's sake, you're not broke at all. "A few grand?" that's insulting to actually "broke" people busting our asses to earn and save to afford it. :roll:

Anyways. Resume answering questions easily answered by easily found articles online and the BM home page.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elderberry » Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 am

C.f.M. wrote:
bittersweettome wrote:Thanks for the info on the cars, ill definitely check the price of rangers in my area. I used to go camping allot, so I'm somewhat prepared, but I would like to find a small easy tent, I have a huge one. I have a few grand to spend, so I'm not too broke I don't think :)

Oh for pete's sake, you're not broke at all. "A few grand?" that's insulting to actually "broke" people busting our asses to earn and save to afford it. :roll:

Anyways. Resume answering questions easily answered by easily found articles online and the BM home page.

Why should that remark be insulting to anyone, being broke is a relative term. Someone that has to sell their third vacation home because of the economy might also consider themselves broke.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby bittersweettome » Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am

Haha, yeah, I've been busting my ass too, out here in the south waiters get paid 2.50, we get tips too though so it evens out. But still, it is tough... But I'm young, hopefully things will get better by the time I'm more independent...
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Postby Minxy » Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 am

Actually, having a few thousand in the bank CAN be broke.

If you have an expensive mortgage, you're helping put a kid through four year college (and saving for kid #2) old student loans, other miscellaneous bills (credit cards, etc) not even counting normal stuff like food, utilities, gasoline, broken cars that need fixing, house that needs a roof replacement... :D All of this would be us (fiance and I).

I'm still selling stuff on Ebay, Etsy and doing garage sales and random stuff to make money for the Burn.

Verrrrry relative. :P

Sorry for drifting, bittersweettome. I'm glad you're coming this year! Just do your research and you'll do great!
Minxy

Postby bittersweettome » Tue May 31, 2011 12:13 pm

ah, that's got to be hard... You should send me your etsy link!
A cup of tea
bittersweettome

Return to Shelter & Camping