Wrapping Van in Mylar

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Wrapping Van in Mylar

Postby kirby » Sun May 29, 2011 7:18 pm

I am a BM virgin. I'm taking my van and thought I'd sleep in it. Someone told me to wrap it in mylar so I wouldn't bake in the morning. Does anyone have supporting details to accompany that suggestion? Where to get the mylar, wrapping details, etc.? Do you think this is a good idea? Thank you!
kirby

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 pm

It's a variant of those windshield things that they sell at truck stops to keep the sun from baking the car. In fact, going to a truck stop and buying a dozen would be the easiest way to follow this advice. You would then put them behind every window, shiny side out, and maybe gain 30 extra minutes of sleep in the morning.
The problem is that cars (and vans) are not well insulated to begin with, and to truly get something that would not warm up in the sun, you'd have to put in an inch of fiberglass all the way around. What works best with cars for sleeping would be to put a shade over yours, with at least a foot between the roof and the shade, for air to circulate. Then you could open the back and all the windows and be pretty comfortable.
Or you can do your night sleeping in the van and your day sleeping in a separate shade structure. I don't think mylar's going to buy you much time, but I'm not one of the expert shade people. One of them will be along in a few minutes to give you much better advice.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby EspressoDude » Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 pm

park it under a 'costco' carport. you get the air space that way.

anything wrapped over a vehicle will get abrasive playa dust between it and your van. Add wind and you get a freshly sanded paint job.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby ibdave » Sun May 29, 2011 9:51 pm

in 1999 or 2000 I talked to a camp that wrapped a RV completely in Mylar. They took care to leave the right stuff uncovered like vents ect... They said it gave them 3 extra hours of sleep in the Morning.. It was quite the site to see for sure. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby TomServo » Sun May 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Just buy a carport...its easier
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 pm

WE use those windshield covers on all the windows of the RV, we get them at the $1 store.
Attach them to the OUTside using wide blue painters tape, completely covering every edge of the reflectors to ensure they don't come off, and also so they don't rub like everyone is warning you about.

And yes, this might or might not affect your paint job on the van when you peel the tape off, as it can stick better than one might think.
(it doesn't phase the siding on our RV)
And some finishes it might not stick to at all(unpainted aluminum)

so, yes, a carport is the easy way out, but on a budget those windshield reflectors will work for ya.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dork » Sun May 29, 2011 10:11 pm

I slept in the back of a truck with a topper two years and wrapped the topper and windshield of the truck in mylar. It stayed cool well into the morning. If the van is a light color you could probably just do the windows and roof.

I used those mylar emergency blankets from the camping department at Target. I taped it down with 14-day removable painter's tape. Make sure you tape it down right after you arrive on the playa before your van gets coated with dust.

Rigging some sort of shade over the van with some airspace between them will give you even more time.
Dork

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 pm

The winshield reflectors are cheaper than mylar, and block 100% of the light, as they are double thick...we have darkness inside the RV all day long if we want it.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:The winshield reflectors are cheaper than mylar, and block 100% of the light, as they are double thick...we have darkness inside the RV all day long if we want it.

it's now clear why they said you looked so good in your RV.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elderberry » Sun May 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BBadger » Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 am

We put a silvered tarp over our tents to keep the sun/heat out. While it did an admirable job of keeping the sun out, it was the lack of airflow that kept the heat in. A carport would probably work wonderfully, but barring that, just make sure that whatever heat does accumulate can vent away.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Token » Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 am

The simplest solution is the following:

Park van so passenger side is perpendicular to sunrise.

Get a nice cot and place it up against the van driver side.

When it gets too hot in he van, move to the cot which will be in the shade until mid afternoon.

Learn how to love sleeping in two hour intervals.

Not tape, no gizmos, no work. 2 minutes of thinking to figure out East and your done.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Bob » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

Try Mylar pyjamas.

On the van, I'd go with fur.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Foxfur » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:00 am

Bob wrote:Try Mylar pyjamas.

Oh for the love of all that is fuzzy, I want to hug your RV.
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th - 404 Village Not Found

Postby Apox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Foxfur wrote:
Bob wrote:Try Mylar pyjamas.

Oh for the love of all that is fuzzy, I want to hug your RV.

epic. I can only imaging what someone would do to that rv when they are rolling on X...
Apox

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Last year I made a mylar sanwich.. Took a 1X2 and attached a king size blanket.. The 1X2 was long enough for the full legth of the van..
Then folded the blanket in half with mylar in the middle. Attach both sides of the blanket to the 1X2.. Tucked (with clamps) the 1X2/blanket into the rain gutter on the van.. Strung a rope insdie the bottom fold and tied the ends off to the bumpers..

This year I'm going to do the wind sheild and rear window of the van..
Right now I have the material to build a roof top convextion cooler.. That if the design is right , It will draw hot air off the inside ceiling of the van..

All that and along comes FIGJAM's bucket swamp cooler design.
unjonharley

Return to Shelter & Camping