Idea Three: Steel post Car Canopy for living

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Idea Three: Steel post Car Canopy for living

Postby LadyLynx » Thu May 19, 2011 11:30 am

1st Burn: We made a Dome. It would have been fantastic but we decided to joint the PVC to cut down on length for transportation and our nice little weak spots popped anytime the wind blew hard. Pulling out the rebar was a bitch (2 ladies). Minor failure.

2nd Burn:Just tents and a crappy shade structure. We had no respite from the wind and ate playa all week. (obviously some sand eating is a requirement but this was giving us colic like foundering horses). Total Failure.

THIS burn: We want to get a steel poled 10x20 car canopy shelter and tie it directly to the side of the truck for support, and anchor the garbage out of it. We wanted something that works as shelter for cooking/living/sleeping if shit gets bad outside. Anyone tried this route?? I'm scared to try just tents again, my BF couldn't open the zipper one drunken night and pissed in my friend's supply tub.

Can't wait to see ya'll again!
LadyLynx

Postby TomServo » Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am

A 10x20 will work just fine! If you pound t-posts at each leg and duct tape them, Its going nowhere! PM me if you want to know how to pull the t-posts out.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Hexayurt
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Thu May 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Yep 10x20 kick ass for 200sqft of walkable shade.
Check your local Craigslist! Everyday! If you see one up for sale, call imediatly, and chances are someone has already beaten you to it, but try anyway. I've gotten lucky because I'll be the third or second person in line, and the other people don't show, or don't have the cash. I'll pay up to $150-$175 for a used one in good condition with all parts- honestly I'd probably even pay 200.

I have heard TomServo's suggestion with the T stakes right next to the legs, and I've seen it work on playa. It also eliminated the need for marking guy lines to the ground.

Though, we've always gone with hooked rebar pounded into the ground about 2' from each corner, and then ratchet straps from the rebar to the corner. If you get ratchet straps that are bright neon colored and have little strands of reflective stuff, they are very visible at night.

I would say, go with a dome tent per person and/or couple. For changing clothes and sleeping the first bit of the day. Use the 10x20 for a kitchen/shade area. If you can get the 10x20's that are tan colored(khaki), instead of the white, they tend to block a little more UV light.

How many people do you have going with you?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby AntiM » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I wouldn't tie it to the vehicle, it might pound the crap outta your ride.

We use two canopies with camo netting shade shade secured in between them. on an EZ up frame. Ours are tilted to withstand the wind, but it is optional. We use tents under the canopies for sleeping because it is simply too dusty to be comfortable otherwise, and provides a bit of privacy for snuggling. We use tie downs in an X pattern between the legs, custom spliced ropes with tensioners.

Our canopies stay pretty open to the wind, the years we tried to seal them up the end walls just tore in the wind.

This is comfortable for up to six people, two to a tent, much more and you lose your kitchen area.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby LadyLynx » Fri May 20, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks ya'll for all the advice. Might just be me and my girlie, the boys are being weenies about the elements. We found one at costco for $200 that seals up, but also has windows and panels that roll up. If it is just the two of us we will probably only bring a tent for emergencies. THE PROBLEM will be setting it up with just the 2 of us. We are going to attempt it ourselves this weekend and return it if we just can't do it.

I just wanted to make sure we weren't attempting something utterly stupid.
LadyLynx

Postby unjonharley » Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 am

/

AGAIN.. The metal (car port) poles will worry the paint off you ride
unjonharley

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 am

LadyLynx wrote:THE PROBLEM will be setting it up with just the 2 of us. We are going to attempt it ourselves this weekend and return it if we just can't do it.

Yeah, that will be hard with just the two of you. We typically use 3 or 4 people.
You build the top on the ground, then put the cover on it (this way you don't need ladders to get the top on), but then it turns into a giant box kite, so someones job is to hold it down.
Then, I hold up one of the 20' sides over my head, while the opposite 20' side lays on the ground (I'm a little over 6 foot) then the other folks stick the legs in the side i'm holding. So then it sorta lays at an angle on the ground. Then I go around to the other 20' side and hold it up, while the legs are put on. I suppose it could be done with two people, it would just take a bit longer, and one of you would have to hold it up longer.

On playa, extra hands are easy to find! Very Very Very easy for two girls! Try to get the boys to help while you're at home, and if they don't come, you can find people to help you set it up.
Or, come find me at our camp and I'll grab a buddy or two and we can give you a hand. Though, we'll be busy Monday setting up our own camp.

For 2 people a car port will be perfect! And I really like the costco one compared to the sam's club one. Or the Shelter Logic that you can buy at different places (I have the shelter logic now, and I'd prefer the brownish costco one).
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby TomServo » Fri May 20, 2011 10:00 am

Ask your neighbors for help...if they haven't offered it already. While putting it up, put the roof on first...before adding the legs...and tie it down, to your car, until its up and secure.

TomServo

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 am

TomServo wrote:Ask your neighbors for help...if they haven't offered it already. While putting it up, put the roof on first...before adding the legs...and tie it down, to your car, until its up and secure.

LOL, thats what I was trying to say! But I used too many words.
Tom, thanks for condensing!
illy dilly

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

I can set up a 10x20 Costco carport by myself in about 20 minutes.

2 small people should be able to manage this without difficulty.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am

Thats pretty impressive!
If you're by your self, why do you need two 10x20?
illy dilly

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:33 am

illy dilly wrote:Thats pretty impressive!
If you're by your self, why do you need two 10x20?

I'm not by myself. It was all part of the radical self reliance thing. I wanted to make sure I was capable of setting everything up I was bringing out by myself if the need arose.

I use shade fabric for the walls and normal tarps for the roof over the vinyl that came with it.

It does take a little longer than 20 minutes to get all the shade fabric up for the walls and a few extra minutes to drive the tstakes.
CapSmashy

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 20, 2011 12:35 pm

That's why Smashy is a Captain.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Fri May 20, 2011 12:46 pm

RSR is all well and good, but first timers may need a little help.

You wouldnt act like this on the playa.

TomServo

Postby AntiM » Fri May 20, 2011 12:47 pm

My job while putting up the carports is bungee wrangler, rope checker, joint distributor (not that kind), leg inserter, and mostly, roof anchor.

I am very good at anchor.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ibdave » Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm

AntiM wrote:My job while putting up the carports is bungee wrangler, rope checker, joint distributor (not that kind), leg inserter, and mostly, roof anchor.

I am very good at anchor.

+10 my wife's job... and when packing up, she's the boss.. We all know our jobs and pack so when we get home the garbage and other take out of the trailer shit is in back.

Buy good duct tape for the heavy work load and buy cheap shit for the rest.
good $ 12-20 cheap $ 3-10 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby CapSmashy » Sat May 21, 2011 2:45 am

TomServo wrote:RSR is all well and good, but first timers may need a little help.

You wouldnt act like this on the playa.

Absolutely not. I am well aware I have physical attributes and stubborn determination that are good for me and my own personal sense of rsr, but I have no illusions of superiority in my abilities over someone else's inability that will need a hand getting big shit set up, a hand I will happily lend to anyone I see that needs it.

I was merely pointing out that I can do it solo. I said nothing about enjoying or looking forward to ever having to actually do it when it counts.
CapSmashy

Re: Idea Three: Steel post Car Canopy for living

Postby CapSmashy » Sat May 21, 2011 3:07 am

LadyLynx wrote:THIS burn: We want to get a steel poled 10x20 car canopy shelter and tie it directly to the side of the truck for support, and anchor the garbage out of it. We wanted something that works as shelter for cooking/living/sleeping if shit gets bad outside. Anyone tried this route?? I'm scared to try just tents again, my BF couldn't open the zipper one drunken night and pissed in my friend's supply tub.

Can't wait to see ya'll again!

I totally ignored the original question.

I wound up in my 10x20 as my shelter in 07 when the ridge pole on my big canvas wedge tent that was supposed to be under the car port split during setup.

It did get pretty dusty in there after a week and I did sleep through a few dust blows with my head wrapped up in a scarf. They are also god awful bright when the sun comes up and even with the ridge vent up top, hold a lot of heat in.

That's the main reason I went to the dark colored, reflective tarps for the roof and doubled up, overlapping shade fabric for the walls. Lots of ventilation without worrying about too much dust blow through and it stays darker much longer underneath when the sun comes up.

We use the carport frames for our kitchen and dining/gather space now since we have the bus and a king size memory foam bed to sleep in which is so much nicer than the cots and pads we used to use.
CapSmashy

Postby illy dilly » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 pm

CapSmashy wrote:We use the carport frames for our kitchen and dining/gather space now since we have the bus and a king size memory foam bed to sleep in which is so much nicer than the cots and pads we used to use.

Ditto! Except old ass RV w/ queen normal mattress instead of a Bus.

I'm heavily looking into using some sort of tarp/cover under the manufacturer supplied top.
illy dilly

Postby ibdave » Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
I was merely pointing out that I can do it solo. I said nothing about enjoying or looking forward to ever having to actually do it when it counts.

been a few time where the wife/girlfriend walks over to ask for help. I say yes but both sit here in my shade and drink water while I go set up your carport. Back in 5 mins and tell them to anchor it down. Sometimes its just easier that way and they frustrated couple get a timeout/break 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby CapSmashy » Tue May 24, 2011 12:19 am

illy dilly wrote:Ditto! Except old ass RV w/ queen normal mattress instead of a Bus.

Crawling into a real bed after long hard night on the playa is soooooooo much better.

I'm heavily looking into using some sort of tarp/cover under the manufacturer supplied top.

The two pack of heavy blur tarps from Costco are actually damn near a perfect fit width wise with an overlap in the middle section if you you use both.
CapSmashy

Postby CapSmashy » Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 am

ibdave wrote:been a few time where the wife/girlfriend walks over to ask for help. I say yes but both sit here in my shade and drink water while I go set up your carport. Back in 5 mins and tell them to anchor it down. Sometimes its just easier that way and they frustrated couple get a timeout/break 8) 8) 8)

Note to self: Find Dave this year. Send wife to ask for help. Drink all of Dave's diet Pepsi wile Dave sets up carport frames.
CapSmashy

Postby illy dilly » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

CapSmashy wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Ditto! Except old ass RV w/ queen normal mattress instead of a Bus.

Crawling into a real bed after long hard night on the playa is soooooooo much better.

The best part is trying to lay on the bed while someone is driving. I decided I should grab another nap in exodus and let one of the less experienced drivers take care of the stop and go, so I was as fresh as a daisy when we hit pavement. Even going 5mph, a little bump will bounce ya pretty good. Godda love riding behind the back axle, lol!
Though, I do not allow people to sleep in the back bed if we are driving over 15 mph. The sofa has a seat belt, and the diningtable/bed also has a seat belt when folded out.
CapSmashy wrote:

The two pack of heavy blur tarps from Costco are actually damn near a perfect fit width wise with an overlap in the middle section if you you use both.

Hell yeah thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out.
So then do the holes line up perfect at the sides so the bungee balls will fit through?
illy dilly

Postby Joe Buck » Tue May 24, 2011 11:01 am

I got a canopy kit from Shade King last year (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/shadecanopies/), extremely bomber, I can hang from the frame without any damage. You need to buy and cut-to-length your own 1" metal conduit but that is all (you can get it at any Lowe's or Home Depot). The whole thing is rather heavy and you have a few long poles to transport but that is the only limitation I have found with it.
Joe Buck

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:28 am

LadyLynx wrote:Thanks ya'll for all the advice. Might just be me and my girlie, the boys are being weenies about the elements. We found one at costco for $200 that seals up, but also has windows and panels that roll up. If it is just the two of us we will probably only bring a tent for emergencies. THE PROBLEM will be setting it up with just the 2 of us. We are going to attempt it ourselves this weekend and return it if we just can't do it.

I just want to be clear about something here:

I've done what you propose, multiple years...I have a 10 X 10 tall dome tent that lives inside my very well staked Costco carport.

It will shade your tent and provide the ability to sleep much later than you could otherwise...perhaps until 10 am or so. After that it's still warm in a tent under them.

This provides NO shelter from the dust when the wind picks up. There is almost no way to seal the thing to the playa, so if it gets up there in speed, it's going to come in and swirl around.

The best thing you can do is to be sure to keep your tent inside it sealed up tight when you aren't sleeping so that you have some reasonably dust free space in there.

But please don't kid yourself you're creating the equivalent of a sealed structure! You'll be disappointed!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby imjumpy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 pm

My two cents (and my first post ever on ePlaya!)

We got one of these for our first Burn, 2008. My boyfriend did most of the actual work setting up the structure; I sorted through the parts and read the instructions out loud and put the right pieces within reach at the right time. With two people, the lifting of the roof while putting the side poles in place worked well. It wouldn't be impossible for one person, just a lot harder. Dumb luck setting the thing up for the first time: no wind and we seemed to be oriented ok for shade. Started with rebar stakes to the top cover, but some of the grommets were gonna give way. So don't tie down the cover - tie down the actual frame. We used rebar stakes and rope to the four corners, from the outside. Then rachet straps to the inside frame, tied to some extra water "cubes" (we brought way more water than we actually needed, but, better safe than sorry)

I took a lot of pictures of the set up (capturing the "whole experience of Burning Man") and I'm glad I did! We misplaced the set up instructions (Note: decide ahead of time where you will stash these once your camp is set up!) So this past weekend, when we set up in our backyard for practice, it took us almost 4 hours, doing things out of order, using the wrong fasteners, etc. And wouldn't you know, we found the instructions stashed in the file cabinet the next day!

We backed my Tahoe half-way under the back end of the structure, to sleep in, and there was plenty of height to open the back hatch. We never used the back wall of the structure. The front end was our "living room" with the two parts that can pull shut or be open and tied back. One part of that section, by the way, comes to a high peak: fastening those top ball bungees is a lot easier if you have a step stool or an upturned bucket to stand on. In fact, all the bungees are easier to do if you have something to stand on.

Good luck!
imjumpy
imjumpy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't advise throwing the cover over the carport frame until the frame is up and tied down.
It seems very clever to put the roof on while it's still on the ground, but as you lift this KITE high in the air, that is exactly when the wind will spring up and rip the thing out of your hands. And you'll be sleeping under your car from then on.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby shykat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:50 pm

What do think is better, t-post or rebar nailed in by the legs of your shade structure. We have a 20' x 20' carport ,using 1" emt. It's a peak roof and the sides are 8' tall and the middle is 10'.
I have both, but i don't have a way to pull the t- post.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm

T posts are bitch to pull out! But with two people and gloves that fit you should be ok.
Either way really.
Kinda sounds like you're already leaning towards the rebar so I'd go with that. Also, in my mind, rebar packs smaller and lighter. Not a huge deal if you have plenty of storage.
illy dilly

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping