looking for the right tent.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

looking for the right tent.

Postby Thumplin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm looking for the right tent to bring to burning man. I need one that i can zip up all the windows not just rely on a rain fly, Also it needs to be able to split up into 2 rooms, I'm also 6'5 so if it was really tall inside i'd be pretty stoked (I hate having to stoop my head all the time).
For the love of god every body stand back! I'm going to attempt science!
Thumplin

Postby phil » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:01 pm

> I'm looking for the right tent

You'll never find it.

> (I hate having to stoop my head all the time).

Never. Find. It.
phil

Postby Trishntek » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 pm

We have the GigaTent Spruce Peak. 8 feet high, 12 feet wide and 18' long windows zip and the fly has clear vinyl windows. The front 6' is a vestibule which can also be completely enclosed.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:29 am

There's a plethora of threads on tents. Use the "search" feature.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Re: looking for the right tent.

Postby Elorrum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Thumplin wrote:I'm looking for the right tent to bring to burning man. I need one that i can zip up all the windows not just rely on a rain fly, Also it needs to be able to split up into 2 rooms, I'm also 6'5 so if it was really tall inside i'd be pretty stoked (I hate having to stoop my head all the time).

ducking my head, not a worry... what I usually do however is a slow, here I go, I'm falling for certain, catch my toe in the nylon, and trip over the raised doorway, at least once each time I use my tent.
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

You really should research it...but...Im throwing this out, since they go largely un-noticed.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=784417

Just make sure you tape over all the pipe joints and anchor it well beyond what the instructions say. Also....pay reverence to your tent, and always bow!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:07 pm

For a heavy canvas, the springbar looks best for the price.
There are far better tents, at higher prices.
gyre

Postby Trishntek » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 pm

As has been said so many times before, it all depends upon how many you plan to shelter and whether you want it to stand alone against the elements. If you plan to have a shade/wind structure, the heaviness of the material is directly proportional to the amount of exposure.
Trishntek

Postby Elorrum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:35 am

TomServo wrote:You really should research it...but...Im throwing this out, since they go largely un-noticed.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=784417

Just make sure you tape over all the pipe joints and anchor it well beyond what the instructions say. Also....pay reverence to your tent, and always bow!

wigwam on this site looks good too for price and height. I definitely like being able to stand up in a tent.

If you use a tent for one week a year.... how much do you want to spend on that? For me, value for actual use, and storage space are key deciding factors.
Elorrum

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:17 am

gyre wrote:For a heavy canvas, the springbar looks best for the price.

Which makes the Kodiak even better since they are identical in build, have more standard features you pay extra for on the Springbar and run about $100 cheaper.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Elorrum wrote:wigwam on this site looks good too for price and height. I definitely like being able to stand up in a tent.

Sounds reasonable to me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
gyre wrote:For a heavy canvas, the springbar looks best for the price.

Which makes the Kodiak even better since they are identical in build, have more standard features you pay extra for on the Springbar and run about $100 cheaper.

They didn't have a kodiak on display at #1 Cabela's, but I saw a lot of their tents up close.
Not bad, but not overwhelmed.

I would have to see one set up to judge.
It wouldn't take big differences in the quality in the springbar to make it a better deal, especially if they back up the warranty well.

Cabela's actually has some tents I would lean to before their springbar copy, but some of their extreme tents are sucky designs.
You really need to examine them up close.

The cut of a stressed tent really matters.

No doubt cabela's will back up their tents, but as well?
Can they repair?
Doubt it.

USA tent vs china.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:11 pm

anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 pm

I've been using a 10 X 11 Coleman car camping tent for 6 years on the playa. I used it for car camping 10 years before that. I take care of things so it is still serviceable. I sewed (read: hand-stitched) sections of wool blanket over the upper mesh panels to reduce dust inside. I stake it out with 10" long nail-like tent stakes. I usually set it up in the lee of a larger structure (prevailing winds are out of the southwest) and also behind another structure for morning shade...it doesn't always work out ideally, but I usually get 1 outta 2.

You can find similar tents at most outdoor/camping supply stores for under $100.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Try an internets search on canvas range tents.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Thumplin wrote:I'm looking for the right tent to bring to burning man. I need one that i can zip up all the windows not just rely on a rain fly, Also it needs to be able to split up into 2 rooms, I'm also 6'5 so if it was really tall inside i'd be pretty stoked (I hate having to stoop my head all the time).

You might want to state your budget here. Lots of the answers are gonna likely be out of your price range. It's the 4-season (that's what it's called when all the windows can be fully closed and no open roof) and the "tall enough to stand in" that combined are gonna skyrocket your price.

But...if I may....

Playa dust isn't exactly the Andromeda Strain. Simply buy a regular tent of your liking, then make a simple cover for that mesh roof. Easy peasy and a helluva lot cheaper.

I bought and love my Eureka Copper Canyon 10. I have a nice high inflateable mattress for it, I bring a couple milk crate bins that I flip over and turn into tables. Heck, there's even enough room for a chem toilet in the corner if ya like. A PVC hanging rack for your clothes and your set.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:33 pm

gyre wrote:They didn't have a kodiak on display at #1 Cabela's, but I saw a lot of their tents up close.
Not bad, but not overwhelmed.

I would have to see one set up to judge.
It wouldn't take big differences in the quality in the springbar to make it a better deal, especially if they back up the warranty well.

Cabela's actually has some tents I would lean to before their springbar copy, but some of their extreme tents are sucky designs.
You really need to examine them up close.

The cut of a stressed tent really matters.

No doubt cabela's will back up their tents, but as well?
Can they repair?
Doubt it.

USA tent vs china.

Springbar vs. Kodiak Canvas
Comparison
Q: What are the differences between Springbar and Kodiak Canvas KC? They both seem very
similar.

A: You can not go wrong with a Springbar tent. They make a terrific tent.
Kodiak Canvas is made after the Springbar style. The intention of Kodiak Canvas was not to be a
cheap imitation of a Springbar, rather an improved evolution. Here is how we compare.
Canvas: Weave, weight and waterproofing are very comprable. Kodiak Canvas did test approx
7% stronger when tested at an independent lab.
Pole System: Very similar. Springbar uses aluminum that needs to be reinforced with steel for
strength. They also use telescoping uprights that take a little longer to assemble and can get
“weldedâ€
CapSmashy

Postby StevenGoodman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Springbars are made in Utah...

Kodiaks are made in China...

CptSmashy are I are in the same camp, so we see them next to each other. They are very similar. The Kodiaks have a few features the Springbars don't', like two doors. To me the extra features don't really matter. But for some people they do matter.

I have a Springbar Traveler 5, if I was buying a new tent I would get a Springbar Vagabond 7.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby gyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 pm

The bit about the poles is typical deliberate deceptiveness.
I've seen it before and it doesn't inspire confidence.
That line alone is enough to make me buy a springbar.

If the springbar is aluminum, that isn't necessarily weaker in this application, and it is enough to add $100 to the retail cost too, depending on the quality.

Permit me to translate into english.

"Our poles cost less."

If they are stronger, they would be much heavier.
Personally I like aluminum or fibreglas poles, but I also prefer dacron tents.

My last high wind tent had fibreglas poles, which many consider inferior, but these weren't
On the other hand, I rarely see any that good on a tent.
They were good for 100 knots.
Still perfect after thirty years and never broke one.

I priced the poles on a good tent last year.
They cost $100 to replace, T7 7075 and tempered.
Lighter than fibreglas.

Here's a thought.
Who tempers the springs better? Springbar or Cabela's chinese vendor?
Springbar is a simple, inexpensive tent, and could be copied, but they seem very reasonable and well made if the warranty is real.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote: It's the 4-season (that's what it's called when all the windows can be fully closed and no open roof)

LoR

Actually that's just the minimum definition of a tent.
See screenhouse

This bullshit has gotten so bad that they are calling four season tents "fifth season" now, or expeditionary, arctic, etc.
A four season tent will withstand winter wind and some snow loads, and is typically a mountaineering tent.
It drains water exceptionally well, has multiple tiedown points, lots of details thought through.
A four season tent should have a fly that covers all the way to the ground or past the tub of the floor at least.
This detail makes all the difference in cold weather.

There are a very few tents that almost qualify except for some bullshit mesh that shouldn't be there.
They must be giving that shit away in china.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Where are the vents mentioned on the Kodiak?
gyre

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: pole sleeves sticking: scrub w/ steel wool or other abrasive, and rub it up w/ carnauba or just plain candle wax.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:38 am

gyre wrote:Where are the vents mentioned on the Kodiak?

They are at the top center of the side walls where the uprights come in. They work like a ridge vent. Never had a dust issue from them on the playa or any other issues when the tents have been out on other conditions.

And you are making a mountain out of some molehills. About the only justification for spending more money and buying a Springbar would be the made in USA vs China issue. I've long given up that battle and buy quality at the best price these days.
CapSmashy

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 pm

I still have to see the Kodiak.
But all of the cabela's tents I looked at had cut and drape problems, potentially fatal to a tent in wind.

Molehills, yes, but my point is that the little things are what make the big differences on very good tents.

The trick is to pay for what you need.
There is never a just perfect tent.
And a warranty can be the most valuable part of a tent.
I know I wouldn't buy a north face outlet tent. (no warranty)

My jansport was four pounds of material and would take over hundred mile winds.
They didn't do that with thick material, but with even stressing.
But it is apparently very tricky to get right.

Can the Kodiak use all the patents on the springbar or did they have to cut a corner somewhere?
Or an illegal copy?
Just a thought.

You often see it on some products where the best approach is known, but can't be copied, so they have other innovations, some good, some not.

I was near Phil's springbar when a bad gust came through.
We were holding up the shade and I was blinded.
It was bad enough I was worried about getting killed by flying debris.
Then over quickly.
The springbar never even flapped in the wind.
For a squarish shape, really impressive.

I hope the kodiak is as good, but I will have to see one up close to be convinced.

I'd still be using the jansport if it hadn't been stolen.
It might have outlived me.
Not bad for an ultralight.
gyre

Postby StevenGoodman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

I have had my Springbar Traveler 5 for years. I hadn't heard of Kodiak when I bought it, so I didn't compare at the time.

If I was buying a new tent, I wouldn't buy a Spingbar Traveler 5 or a Kodiak. I would buy a Springbar Vagabond 7. But only barely over the Kodiak 10x14 Basic. And only because I don't need the extra features on the Kodiak, and the Vagabond is slightly cheaper.

If I was going to use the features, I would probably get a Kodiak 10x14 Deluxe.

However, since you can get a Kodiak at Cabelas and not pay shipping the cost difference can go away. However, Springbar does have free shipping offers occasionally. (I think I got mine for free shipping and a free canvas ground cloth.)

But whichever you get, you have to use real stakes; military, rebar, whatever you prefer.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

kodiac vs springbar

Postby xhoosier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am

I did my research and looked at both and I hated to do it but I bought the Kodiac. Besides it being cheaper it did have several extra features. last year a buddy brought his Springbar and we compared them side by side. He was not a happy camper after doing this. It may be made in China but was is the flashlight, canteen, lawn chair, tarp, cooler and almost every other thing I had in my camp. But my beer was American! :)
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

TomServo wrote:I kinda like this one too..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=619972

I am ordering this one next week. I will be setting it up the next sign of a wind/thunder storm in the area and will report accordingly... It will likeley include pictures for those who get bored with these squigly lines...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 pm

hookahdude wrote:

I am ordering this one next week. I will be setting it up the next sign of a wind/thunder storm in the area and will report accordingly... It will likeley include pictures for those who get bored with these squigly lines...

You getting the 10' or 18' ?
Trishntek

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Trishntek wrote:
hookahdude wrote:

I was initially going with the 10', but after thinking it through, I decided on the 18' because it will be my son and I. I figure if it works, next year, when the wife comes, I will get a 10' for him and our love nest can be the 18'.
Providing it doesn't disintegrate the first gust of wind...
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm

hookahdude wrote:
Trishntek wrote:
hookahdude wrote:

I was initially going with the 10', but after thinking it through, I decided on the 18' because it will be my son and I. I figure if it works, next year, when the wife comes, I will get a 10' for him and our love nest can be the 18'.
Providing it doesn't disintegrate the first gust of wind...

That's very similar to the old single-pole mess tents sans hole for the chimney. I would think you would need to have the 18' to get any kind of head room.
Trishntek

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping