First time burn: Camp ? RV ...... > or < or =

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

First time burn: Camp ? RV ...... > or < or =

Postby winterdream28 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:29 pm

I apologize ahead of time.... I am sure there is a post out there with this same question... went through a couple pages deep and couldn't find a simple answer.

So I reach out to you all again for advice :)

In your honest opinion....
What is better for a virgin burner

Camping
or
RVing

Side note: I have camped before but never have RVed... the thought of being in control of that large of a vehicle kinda disturbs me

:?:
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau
winterdream28

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Build a HexaYurt.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby winterdream28 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

jkisha wrote:Build a HexaYurt.

JK

I had to look it up :oops: But that looks do-able! Thanks for the idea
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau
winterdream28

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Go by your budget. An RV is going to be more expensive if you're just one or two people & your renting, but if you have 4 or 5 it's a wash.

Regardless of the screaming you hear in the tent vs RV debate it all comes down to personal choice.

However, if you're going to rent an RV from the SF bay area, Reno or LA get your reservation in way early- like by December. The RV's go quick that week.

We already have our reservation in for next year
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: First time burn: Camp ? RV ...... > or < or =

Postby moonrise » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 am

Hi winterdream!
Hope you don't mind a former Venturan attempting to help your thread!
You forgot to mention you're an accomplished, employed in the art biz artist!
Also over 600 miles away!

Camp

or

RV

or

ART installation camp (speciifc to the art installation winterdream becomes a part of)

OK WD, I hope this is cool! I picked you a purdy color for that 3rd option.
Maybe the commute to LA is worth it for a BIG Art Installation!

Don't Art Installation Artists often camp together? Focus on the art, save money and have a decent camp they belong to together?
Pre-built art in say, LA, meet & set up camp, install art? go burn?!
Or what?
Join art project online? meet on playa & set up camp, build art? go burn?!
I was very happy I joined a camp, for my own reasons...perhaps another good option for winterdream too? I don't know the exact details/my 2 cents added
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby JStep » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 am

winterdream28 wrote:
jkisha wrote:Build a HexaYurt.

JK

I had to look it up :oops: But that looks do-able! Thanks for the idea

http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_playa

Our group is going to build one (or more?) for our virgin burn in 2011.

And maybe a pedal car.

My partner and I are hoping to buy our friends school bus for transportation, if the bank will loan me the 6k for it.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 am

winterdream28 wrote: the thought of being in control of that large of a vehicle kinda disturbs me

It always yanks my chain to hear people say that... as if all "RVs" were one size.
There are motorhomes, pickup campers, trailers, pop-ups, etc. in every imaginable size from tow-it-with-a-motorcycle to big-as-a-semi.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:08 am

How big is your stack of money that you are willing to burn is the biggest questions?

If you've got a spare 2-3k that you can blow on JUST the RV, then go for it.

If you'd rather save the money for the 4324346324 other things you could spend it on, but still want the luxury of having mobile, wind proof sleeping and partying quarters, rent a moving box truck for $400-$600. Here's a thread on that:

viewtopic.php?t=37536

If you're doing it on a budget, then tent it.

Not rocket science. It's like asking what kind of car should I buy?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 am

No RV.

Get a tent. Build a structure like a hexayurt or monkeyhut.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 am

Yes RV. Because........ SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! And this is coming from someone who built a hexayurt last year. Loved it as a community chill space. But I wouldn't trade my little camper for all the tents in the world. Doesn't have to be big or the lap of luxury. Mine's an ugly little cuss from the 70"s I bought for $500. But it has a SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! Hey just one man's opinion.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 am

Yurt, Yurt, Yurt....you can build one for around $500 and you can use it over and over and over. You can also decorate/paint it really cool...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 am

Why not an RV and a yurt? An RV for you to sleep and shower in, and a yurt to lock up all the filthy hippies who want to trash your RV. Problem solved.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Boijoy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am

I have a SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER, TOILET TOILET TOILET & BED BED BED in my tent.. AND $$$ in the bank. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby moonrise » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 am

[quote="Dr. Pyro"]Why not an RV and a yurt? An RV for you to sleep and shower in, and a yurt to lock up all the filthy hippies who want to trash your RV. Problem solved.[/quote]

Never a dull momment, never, never ever...hahahahaaaa
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am

Boijoy wrote:I have a SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER, TOILET TOILET TOILET & BED BED BED in my tent.. AND $$$ in the bank. :)
Now THAT I have to see!!!! A tip of the cap if you've got all that going in your tent. :shock:
Dr Helix

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 am

Dr Helix wrote:Yes RV. Because........ SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! And this is coming from someone who built a hexayurt last year. Loved it as a community chill space. But I wouldn't trade my little camper for all the tents in the world. Doesn't have to be big or the lap of luxury. Mine's an ugly little cuss from the 70"s I bought for $500. But it has a SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! Hey just one man's opinion.

You must have build a budget model or just didn't equip it properly. We had all of the above in our two room hexayurt. Hot water on demand shower, King Size bed from playa tech, air conditioning, refrigerator, toilet (in case of emergencies.)

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 am

No, I really think we should discuss footwear, food and EL wire. None of these topics have ever been covered before, and I've looked.

Is there a playa meet and greet?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm

jkisha wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:Yes RV. Because........ SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! And this is coming from someone who built a hexayurt last year. Loved it as a community chill space. But I wouldn't trade my little camper for all the tents in the world. Doesn't have to be big or the lap of luxury. Mine's an ugly little cuss from the 70"s I bought for $500. But it has a SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!! Hey just one man's opinion.

You must have build a budget model or just didn't equip it properly. We had all of the above in our two room hexayurt. Hot water on demand shower, King Size bed from playa tech, air conditioning, refrigerator, toilet (in case of emergencies.)

JK
I bow to the Master! Please let me know where you're camping in 2011. I would love to revel in your palace.
Dr Helix

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:49 pm

jk does a yurt right! I am but a newb (2010 was my first year) but I will improve my yurt as time goes by. I really like the roominess of the yurt.

jk, i would also like to come by and see your deluxe yurt...(if it would not be an imposition)
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

lucky420 wrote:jk does a yurt right! I am but a newb (2010 was my first year) but I will improve my yurt as time goes by. I really like the roominess of the yurt.

jk, i would also like to come by and see your deluxe yurt...(if it would not be an imposition)

Please do, and if you stop by between 2PM and 4PM Tuesday through Friday, we (our camp) will be serving root beer floats too! I'll post up our camp location as soon as we register and get our placement.

And don't forget, last year was our third year for the Yurt. The first year we only had one, and the A/C didn't work very well because the generator wasn't big enough to keep it running. We just added the 2nd room with 6' walls for this years burn. It's a constant learning experience, definitely better to start small and learn as you go.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

aww thanks so much...this I will remember :D
lucky420

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Dr Helix wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK
I bow to the Master! Please let me know where you're camping in 2011. I would love to revel in your palace.

LOL, hardly the master, but you're more than welcome to stop by. As I told Lucky, if you come by T-F at 2pm, the camp will be serving root beer floats.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

"definitely better to start small and learn as you go. "

I prefer going big and doing it right.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Well I should think so, ya big moose...
lucky420

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 pm

jkisha wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

LOL, hardly the master, but you're more than welcome to stop by. As I told Lucky, if you come by T-F at 2pm, the camp will be serving root beer floats.

JK
I will be there....and gift you some extra root beer if you need it.
Dr Helix

Postby Miles » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Personally i go for tent + quonset pvc shelter (similar to the "monkeyhut" design). We bring a big futon to sleep on and it's great.

If you're going to be sensitive to some dust in your tent consider an rv, but the rv will be dusty soon anyways. I keep a plastic sheet in the tent that I cover everything with when I'm not sleeping- keeps things pretty nice.

Save the $ for a project or buying a vehicle I'd say.
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Somone made a good point before.... that it isn;t all the same size. I might look into a small little renter...

Cause you are very well sad in your saying

SHOWER SHOWER SHOWER!!!! TOILET TOILET TOILET!!!!! BED BED BED!!!!!

That made me smile
winterdream28

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks for the Advice everyone I really appreciate everyone input
winterdream28

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
winterdream28 wrote: the thought of being in control of that large of a vehicle kinda disturbs me

It always yanks my chain to hear people say that... as if all "RVs" were one size.
There are motorhomes, pickup campers, trailers, pop-ups, etc. in every imaginable size from tow-it-with-a-motorcycle to big-as-a-semi.

I have had this weird fear or driving anything bigger than my little car my whole life . At the age of 25 I have yet to be in a accident.... I have read too many polls about the amount of accident you should be involved by age 30... man i must be bored to end up at those polls huh :shock:

You do bring up a good point though I don't need to be driving

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... o_NH12.jpg

to my first burn ;)
winterdream28

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

So lets say by the powers of the great gods I can pull of saving that much money to rent a RV of any size :-D

Key word RENT...

I have read on some threads that on the Playa logos/brand are frowned upon...

So if I rent.... is it custom to cover the big I AM CORPORATE logo?

http://www.nunativs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/renting-an-rv-rv-the-movie-300x169.jpg

First thing that came to my mind was the movie RV the movie
winterdream28

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping