Is RV a dirty word

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Teardropper, thank you

Snow..great photo, Thanks. looks awesome.
Love & Light
LoveLight

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:18 am

LoveLight wrote:Teardropper, thank you

Snow..great photo, Thanks. looks awesome.

Snow, be nice to the newbs.... :wink:
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby baconqurlyq » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 pm

One thing that is puzzling to me...at most parts of the playa, day or night, there is a shitton of noise from music, people partying, etc. I can't imagine any generator being louder than that. I mean, there's a reason it's advised everywhere to bring earplugs and to not expect to get much sleep. I mean, I get that it's good to be respectful of your neighbors, but compared to all the other noise on the Playa in general, I don't get the whole "ZOMG GENNY!" reaction.
Popped the playa cherry!
baconqurlyq

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:42 am

If the genny is next to your tent, the noise and fumes are more of an issue than the ambient background noise in general.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 am

But if it isn't, due to halfway careful camp planning...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Elderberry » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:31 am

baconqurlyq wrote:One thing that is puzzling to me...at most parts of the playa, day or night, there is a shitton of noise from music, people partying, etc. I can't imagine any generator being louder than that. I mean, there's a reason it's advised everywhere to bring earplugs and to not expect to get much sleep. I mean, I get that it's good to be respectful of your neighbors, but compared to all the other noise on the Playa in general, I don't get the whole "ZOMG GENNY!" reaction.

Ya, it is puzzling to me too. Our generator is loud, at least compared to the Honda's that everybody talks about here. But it has lots of wattage and was affordable for us. We made a great baffle box with 2 sheets of plywood and lined it with carpet. We bought a 10 gauge 100' extension chord so that we could set up the generator on the street, and it never seems to bother anybody. Actually, it's pretty hard to hear it as soon as you get just a few feet away.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Boijoy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 pm

My generator experience this year. My girlfriend & I were trying to catch a nap in our loungers one afternoon, we were outside the tent & next to our vehicle. The neighbor next to us ( & about 10 feet away ) looked straight at us & fired up his loud ass gene anyway.

Genes are a fine source of power. Just don't be a Dick.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Camp next to us had an evaporation system setup that required a generator-powered pump.

Sure, they set up their gen 100' away from their camp, but that put it right next to our tents...douche bags! We had words.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

general rule about rv's

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Typically, the people that hate on and complain about RV's are the ones that can't afford them. They're also the ones that can't really afford to bring much besides themselves, and don't do or make or share anything. In other words, spectators, or, worse, fucking hippies. I spent several years in tents, cars, etc, and it sucks, and the first year I did anything large to share, I couldn't do my art/art car/theme camp/ and build a decent comfortable camp. If anybody complains about your R.V., ask them how far they came and what they built. Typically the answer is San Francisco, and nothing. Not to knock S.F, since a ton of awesome shit comes out of there, but a lot of hippie douche-bags do too.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby moonrise » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm

RV's rock! BUT it is OK to be surrounded by tents and carports and all the other types of interesting structures...our camp had darned near every kind of everything in it, including a bunch of RV's...hahaha...RV's are great wind breaks!
Someday I'll get me one too....a custom built job, cargo trailer toy hauler, something useful 52 weeks out of the year (someday) or a beater towable old camper...only cost about 500 bucks but nothing works inside...hahaha...so what; it's camping...can always slowly fix the few things you really need (A/C!)
It's cheap to share the power too...and yea, a quiet system is best.
Also, somehow try to set it up so you don't bum your neighbors out.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Re: general rule about rv's

Postby Boijoy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 am

uncle sticky wrote:Typically, the people that hate on and complain about RV's are the ones that can't afford them. They're also the ones that can't really afford to bring much besides themselves, and don't do or make or share anything. In other words, spectators, or, worse, fucking hippies. I spent several years in tents, cars, etc, and it sucks, and the first year I did anything large to share, I couldn't do my art/art car/theme camp/ and build a decent comfortable camp. If anybody complains about your R.V., ask them how far they came and what they built. Typically the answer is San Francisco, and nothing. Not to knock S.F, since a ton of awesome shit comes out of there, but a lot of hippie douche-bags do too.

wow. Generalize much? Actually I "had" a small RV & sold it because I was tired of working/spending on it all year round. Had to store it in the winter etc etc. I use a TENT now because its simpler.
I'm not from San Fran. Im from Reno. The ONLY year I didn't participate "much" was my first year (in my RV btw). since then I have made center camp art, voluntered @ Artica, helped bring phone service w/ phone camp, & LAST year we were Metro Mart. So when even you "special" folks in your RV's have foregotten something ( like asprin or a toothbrush), Metro Mart might have it for you.

So how about that Mr. Tenters don't Bring Much to Share PANTS?? :roll:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 am

(Golf clap)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 pm

uncle sticky wrote:Typically, the people that hate on and complain about RV's are the ones that can't afford them. They're also the ones that can't really afford to bring much besides themselves, and don't do or make or share anything. In other words, spectators, or, worse, fucking hippies. I spent several years in tents, cars, etc, and it sucks, and the first year I did anything large to share, I couldn't do my art/art car/theme camp/ and build a decent comfortable camp. If anybody complains about your R.V., ask them how far they came and what they built. Typically the answer is San Francisco, and nothing. Not to knock S.F, since a ton of awesome shit comes out of there, but a lot of hippie douche-bags do too.

Interesting. And total bullshit.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 pm

jkisha wrote:
uncle sticky wrote:Typically, the people that hate on and complain about RV's are the ones that can't afford them. etc etc etc in a self-absorbed superior sort of way

JK- agree with the second part, but it was not interesting at all.

Oh, "Uncle Sticky", I'm an RVer. Have been every year I've gone. Get Over Yourself. Tenters just choose to camp differently than us.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Eric wrote:
jkisha wrote:
uncle sticky wrote:Typically, the people that hate on and complain about RV's are the ones that can't afford them. etc etc etc in a self-absorbed superior sort of way

JK- agree with the second part, but it was not interesting at all.

Oh, "Uncle Sticky", I'm an RVer. Have been every year I've gone. Get Over Yourself. Tenters just choose to camp differently than us.

Actually, I'd bet you'd agree with the first part too if you knew exactly what I thought was interesting about him and his post. ;)

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby Boijoy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:17 pm

ohhh.. DO tell. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Boijoy wrote:ohhh.. DO tell. :)

yes, please DOOOOO!

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Oh dear...
Not that I don't want to know, but for the sake of "board harmony" I do leave things out sometimes.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Boijoy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 pm

"board harmony" :lol: Fishy.. you DO come up with the good stuff. do say!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Yup, board harmony. I'm going with that!

JK
JK
Elderberry

rv'er

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Note that I was calling out the anti-RV extremists, those that demonize an RV, or in my case, ghetto trailer, not those that prefer alternate methods. Bottom line is that many of the anti-RV crowd are "burnier than thou," in spite of their lack of understanding about what participation means. The weak ass "miracle" ticket holders who bitch about the "yuppie/tourist" rv'ers are the same that can't even manage to bring their own cups to my bar, or bother to properly dispose of their own waste water.
uncle sticky

Re: rv'er

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 am

uncle sticky wrote:The weak ass "miracle" ticket holders who bitch about the "yuppie/tourist" rv'ers are the same that can't even manage to bring their own cups to my bar, or bother to properly dispose of their own waste water.

There you have me in complete agreement.

We were trying to figure out what to shoot Miracle Workers with on the way in so people would know to avoid them- something like the dye they put in sacks of money from the bank. That way they'd be marked all week as leeches.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby BAS » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 am

Well, I had a tent (and no shade structure-- bad idea, that!), and didn't participate much (then again, I managed to be sick all week.) Anyway, an RV showed up one day nearby, but never bothered me. (Actually, me and some of the other folks wondered if anyone was using it at all! We never saw anyone...)

As has been said, it mostly has to do with attitude. Basically, keep in mind the whole "do unto others" thing, and you should be fine.

(Well, there is at least one camp who like to shout abuse at everyone who passes by..., but that is another story!)
BAS

Miracle Tickets!

Postby uncle sticky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Eric, I'm glad you agree with me. I'm not a hater, but I try and call out the hypocrisy and stupidity of others, thereby distracting from my own. That said, I would like to propose to you an art project that I've been working on for a few years. We build a large vacuum system, essentially one of those humane prairie dog sucking setups. Bait it with a variety of items that prove irresistible to moochers, aka free dope, drums, other peoples unattended items, hummus, grateful dead bootlegs. Kick back, wait, and whooosh! Over the trash fence! Or, into Death Guild, either way, problem solved. Alternatively, trebuchets with the same bating strategy.
uncle sticky

Re: Miracle Tickets!

Postby Elderberry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 pm

uncle sticky wrote:Eric, I'm glad you agree with me. I'm not a hater, but I try and call out the hypocrisy and stupidity of others, thereby distracting from my own. That said, I would like to propose to you an art project that I've been working on for a few years. We build a large vacuum system, essentially one of those humane prairie dog sucking setups. Bait it with a variety of items that prove irresistible to moochers, aka free dope, drums, other peoples unattended items, hummus, grateful dead bootlegs. Kick back, wait, and whooosh! Over the trash fence! Or, into Death Guild, either way, problem solved. Alternatively, trebuchets with the same bating strategy.

:) Reminds me of the booby trapped bicycle thread that talked about designs for a bicycle just for the unsuspecting bicycle borrowing burner. Ygmir does an interesting project each year where he sets out a can of money and then just watches what people do when they pass by.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping