MOOP Map

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

MOOP Map

Postby Frankenstipe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:05 am

When does the MOOP Map come out, I noticed a lot of it this year more so than last year and was wondering what the official report was.
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
Frankenstipe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:05 am

From what I remember they typically have a copy posted at SF Decompression (Sunday of Indigenous Peoples'/Columbus Day weekend.)
Last year, it was a while past that for the on-line version to get posted.
They may well still be mooping.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:05 am

maybe insteafd of noticing it you shoulda picked it up...hmmmm?

Then maybe you should not only give DPW a chance to clean up every-ones mess (thanks DPW) but all the pictures then need to be translated onto a map and color coded...

I dont think '09 has a moop map yet.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:28 pm

[quote="Fire_Moose"]maybe insteafd of noticing it you shoulda picked it up...hmmmm?

And how do you know the original poster did NOT pick up the moop he or she saw?
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby geekster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

One problem I have with participants and MOOP is the problem with dMOOP (displaced MOOP). Someone will see something on the ground and pick it up, so far so good. But then keep watching ... they walk down the street and drop it into the bed of a nearby pickup. So they haven't really picked anything up, they have simply moved it. If you are going to pick up a piece of MOOP, then you own it. You are now going to pack that out. Put it in your pack, don't immediately begin searching for a place to stash it.

If you don't have anyplace to put it, you are probably better off not picking it up in the first place if you are just going to MOOP-bomb someone else with it.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Frankenstipe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:maybe insteafd of noticing it you shoulda picked it up...hmmmm?

Then maybe you should not only give DPW a chance to clean up every-ones mess (thanks DPW) but all the pictures then need to be translated onto a map and color coded...

Insulting someone on the internet, genius....pure genius. :roll:

Anyway yeah I just remembered it isn't even October yet, it feels like it's been months since the Burn.....can we go back yet? The 09 map is out I think, it did take almost 6 months to be released I think though.
I may be crazy but at least I'm not sane.
Frankenstipe

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Frankenstipe wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:maybe insteafd of noticing it you shoulda picked it up...hmmmm?

Insulting someone on the internet, genius....pure genius. :roll:

Anyway yeah I just remembered it isn't even October yet, it feels like it's been months since the Burn.....can we go back yet? The 09 map is out I think, it did take almost 6 months to be released I think though.

Wow you took that as an insult?

Sorry i gotta get used to all these hyper-sensitives around again.
Fire_Moose

Postby MisaBlue » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:Sorry i gotta get used to all these hyper-sensitives around again.

Be strong!
MisaBlue

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:26 pm

I think the moose doesn't realize that every time it says something to someone, moose snot gets all over everything.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:03 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I think the moose doesn't realize that every time it says something to someone, moose snot gets all over everything.

Dick, Dick, Dick... You're only saying that in order to draw attention away from what gets all over everything when you say something to someone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:12 pm

The only real difference between the two is protien count anyhow.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:21 pm

I do like the overall trend though..

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 am

The jump from 06 to 07 is amazing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:00 am

This is the first year I did not put a trash fence around the camp.. Still a lot of moop came tumbeling in.. Pick it when you see it.. I practice, Don't let it hit the ground..

Some old stuff showed up under the van.. The wind swept the top playa off and exposed someone elses dump. Had to dig it out of the hard surface..
unjonharley

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The jump from 06 to 07 is amazing.

Not to say that folks in 06' possibly weren't trashy (and not in the good way) but is it possible that there was some sort of event or weather condition that could add to the amount of moop in 06? Like lots of wind and white outs for long periods of time?
I wasn't there, so I don't know.
I do know a plastic powerade case wrapper escaped our camp, I went chasing after it, to quickly find that a case wrapper in the wind has more stamina than me. Luckily for me a gal (even luckier she was cute) saw me running in her directions, saw what I was chasing and was able to get the bag as it camp towards her camp.
In white out conditions it could be hard, and possibly a bad idea, to go chasing some debris that escapes.
I wonder if weather conditions significantly affect the amount of MOOP?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm going to say "no." 2006 was the first year where we (participants as opposed to planners) could see what we had done on playa. It was a wake up call for most of us. 2006 was milder, wind-wise, than 08, for instance, which is the only year they called off the poi before the burn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby geekster » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 pm

The difference between 06 and 07 was probably the moop map itself. I think 06 was the first year. People not only could see how much they left, OTHER people could see how much they left. There is a certain amount of peer pressure that comes into play when the moopiness of your space is public information.
geekster

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:55 pm

geekster wrote:The difference between 06 and 07 was probably the moop map itself. I think 06 was the first year. People not only could see how much they left, OTHER people could see how much they left. There is a certain amount of peer pressure that comes into play when the moopiness of your space is public information.

06 my son and I mooped with a rake and magnet.. We cleaned up after camps when they left.. Then the moop map comes out showing our area as one of the bad spots.. Or should I put this in the fuck thread?
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey, you went where you were needed!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby geekster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:49 pm

unjonharley wrote:
geekster wrote:The difference between 06 and 07 was probably the moop map itself. I think 06 was the first year. People not only could see how much they left, OTHER people could see how much they left. There is a certain amount of peer pressure that comes into play when the moopiness of your space is public information.

06 my son and I mooped with a rake and magnet.. We cleaned up after camps when they left.. Then the moop map comes out showing our area as one of the bad spots.. Or should I put this in the fuck thread?

It was probably the glitter.
geekster

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm going to say "no." 2006 was the first year where we (participants as opposed to planners) could see what we had done on playa. It was a wake up call for most of us. 2006 was milder, wind-wise, than 08, for instance, which is the only year they called off the poi before the burn.

That makes a lot of sense. Visual aids go a long way in convince/teaching/selling any idea.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Dephect » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:16 am

I saw tons of MOOP this year. I came out with a sandwich bag to stash whatever MOOP I find and it would get filled up in a matter of minutes and I would have to start putting it in my backpack pocket. More so around large sound camps. I would see empty beer cans rolling into my camp. Also another horrible thing I saw this year was all the trash thrown inside the porta potties outside of the toilet and more so inside of the toilet. Saw someone try and dump gray water into a porta potty. Have some fucking respect for the people who vacuum yours and 45,000+ others fermented bodily fluids out of your bathroom in the middle of a fucking desert. They don't want to pump out your bloody tampons, baby wipes and your water bottles, let alone do they want to grab it out of the tank.
Dephect

Postby Sail Man » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:46 pm

MisaBlue wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:Sorry i gotta get used to all these hyper-sensitives around again.

Be strong!

Nah, I vote for Moose shoving his fire staff up somebodies behind, lit :twisted:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Sail Man wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:

Be strong!

Nah, I vote for Moose shoving his fire staff up somebodies behind, lit :twisted:

You're only saying that because you want to work the scene.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am

Can i wear a gimp costume?
Fire_Moose

Postby CLARKcon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Best MOOP I found this year: a half-pack of American Spirits cigarettes :D! In the middle of the street late one night & picked the box up...waited...looked around (still no one)...annnd I gladly "disposed" of them in my lungs properly :)
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby yellowdog » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 pm

Best MOOP I found this year: a half-pack of American Spirits cigarettes Very Happy! In the middle of the street late one night & picked the box up...waited...looked around (still no one)...annnd I gladly "disposed" of them in my lungs properly

Ingesting Moop: taking LNT to a whooole 'nother level.
yellowdog

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 am

you ever do trash fence clean up between Friday night and Sunday morning?

Plenty to ingest
Fire_Moose

Postby Sail Man » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:

Be strong!

You're only saying that because you want to work the scene.

Damn, busted! :lol: I've always wanted to wheel somebody into the ER on their belly with a flaming poi staff sticking out of their ass. Only question is, who gets to blow out the candle?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 am

hahahaha
Fire_Moose

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping