Where can I buy a last minute shade structure in Reno?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Where can I buy a last minute shade structure in Reno?

Postby kmatthews812 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 pm

The good news is that I convinced my camp that a ragtag assortment of poles and tarps will not hold up on the playa. The bad news is that now I am in charge of finding one that will.

We are a 10 person all-virgin camp. We are pretty clueless, so take it easy on us :)

Does anybody know a place in Reno where I will be able to buy a 10x20 playa-worth shade structure on Sunday? We are all flying in, so we are limited to what we can find in Reno on Sunday. We are trying to get the cheapest thing that will stand up for a week and provide enough cover. Target and Wal-Mart seem to be sold out of everything.

Thanks!
kmatthews812

Postby LostinReno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Costco had some carports on sale last week. You might want to give them a call....or do a search on "Monkey Huts" Home Despot had all the pieces last weekend. I've never personally built one, but they look like they might be more like what you're looking for.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby skinnay » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:05 pm

skinnay

Re: Where can I buy a last minute shade structure in Reno?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm

kmatthews812 wrote:The good news is that I convinced my camp that a ragtag assortment of poles and tarps will not hold up on the playa. The bad news is that now I am in charge of finding one that will.

You should have kept your mouth closed. ;)
Seriously, I hope you find a good structure.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby uski » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:39 pm

skinnay wrote:http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

Virgin here - I plan to buy the materials needed to build a monkeyhut on Saturday.

Lowe's has some nice tarps
http://www.lowes.com/pd_187740-89425-M1 ... Id=3115381

It _seems_ that they also have the other bits needed.

However we'll buy our stuff at San Francisco, not in Reno
uski

Postby turtlebird » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:55 pm

not very cheap but light enough to fly in with and it sounds like you're in a little bit of a pickle:

http://www.rei.com/product/762746
turtlebird

Postby dinks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:01 pm

My camp for this year just got slimmed down to just myself and my wife. So there is a good chance we will be selling our un-used costco carport that I bought 2 months ago. If you cant find one in town shoot me a private message.
dinks

Postby LostinReno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm

uski wrote:
skinnay wrote:http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/

Virgin here - I plan to buy the materials needed to build a monkeyhut on Saturday.

Lowe's has some nice tarps
http://www.lowes.com/pd_187740-89425-M1 ... Id=3115381

It _seems_ that they also have the other bits needed.

However we'll buy our stuff at San Francisco, not in Reno

Reno's closer, our sales tax is less and you wont have to haul it as far. Just sayin' :wink:
LostinReno

Postby Boijoy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 pm

attach two fo these to the roof or your vehicle.

then attach adjustable tarp/tent poles to one of these.

and anchor to the ground with some of these.

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby MoonSplash » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I just was in the Costco in Carson City yesterday, which is about a 45 minute drive from Reno, and they still had the sturdy but quite heavy carports on sale for $199. At least four or five of them sitting out on the floor. These were the kind with side walls.

There are 2 of us and we're just attaching giant tarps to the car on one end and 7 foot tall PVC pipes pounded into the ground with rebar on the other, using guylines to strengthen it against the wind. Worked pretty well.
MoonSplash

Postby uski » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:37 pm

LostinReno wrote:
uski wrote:Reno's closer, our sales tax is less and you wont have to haul it as far. Just sayin' :wink:

I'm flying into San Fran on Friday evening. I plan to do my shopping there on Saturday, and to drive to BRC on Sunday.

I'm not sure how I can do the shopping in Reno :/
Are stores open on Sunday ?
If so, I could drive to Reno on Saturday morning, do the shopping the afternoon and on Sunday morning, and I could then drive to BRC.

How that would work?
uski

Postby geekster » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 am

Stores are open in Reno on Sunday. I generally buy all my food/water in the Reno/Sparks area so I don't have to haul it over the Sierra Nevada mountains. It's probably an extra hundred pounds or so I don't have to haul as far.

The drawback to doing that is to have to partially unpack and repack in the parking lot to get everything situated.

The sales tax difference isn't much for Washoe County. It is 7.725% in Reno compared to nearly 9% in most California cities.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Lowes phone order.

Postby jpstiffin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:54 am

Give the parts list from the link in the previous post to Lowes and they will pull the items for you and you can pick them up on the way out to the playa. Don't forget to order a hammer and pvc cutter (cutter is option, but is inexpensive and makes life easier).
Small Steps
jpstiffin

Postby LostinReno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:15 am

geekster wrote:Stores are open in Reno on Sunday. I generally buy all my food/water in the Reno/Sparks area so I don't have to haul it over the Sierra Nevada mountains. It's probably an extra hundred pounds or so I don't have to haul as far.

The drawback to doing that is to have to partially unpack and repack in the parking lot to get everything situated.

The sales tax difference isn't much for Washoe County. It is 7.725% in Reno compared to nearly 9% in most California cities.

I think it's 9.5% in SF now days.
True about partially unpacking, that does suck....point taken. LOL!
We were in Home Despot last night getting some furnace filters and other non related BM stuff :shock: , when you walk into the S. Virginia store. They have a HUGE section near the front entrance devoted to Burners, they had goggles PVC pipe, tarps, rope, face masks, pretty much everything you'd need. I haven't been to the nearby Lowe's yet. They prolly have one too.

...On that note, as of yesterday two local Wally's were out of 2.5 gal waters. Whole Paycheck Foods still had a ton of cases out front. I think they were $5.25 for a case of two. I can't imagine them not getting more in before the weekend hits. They still had a ton of 1 gallon jugs.
LostinReno

Postby StevenGoodman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 am

There is also Twin City Surplus. A great place to load up.

You could get netting:
http://twincitysurplus.com/catalog.fx?view=1&pid=2428&cart_id=7447128.18852

And two spreader poles:
http://twincitysurplus.com/catalog.fx?view=1&pid=1156&cart_id=7447128.18852

Netting in action:
http://www.apokiliptika.com/img_1731.jpg

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby lambert13 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:15 am

For people planning to buy camp supplies in Reno when they arrive in town on their way to the burn. Is there a problem with places like Home Depot or similar being out of stock on a lot of things like shelters, shelter building supplies, etc.?

I would hate to count on buying certain things in Reno (or surrounding area) and finding out that everywhere is out of stock.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby LostinReno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 pm

lambert13 wrote:For people planning to buy camp supplies in Reno when they arrive in town on their way to the burn. Is there a problem with places like Home Depot or similar being out of stock on a lot of things like shelters, shelter building supplies, etc.?

I would hate to count on buying certain things in Reno (or surrounding area) and finding out that everywhere is out of stock.

You should be ok, there are 5 Home Depots and 2 Lowe's in the greater Reno/Sparks area. The one that will most likely be hit hardest is on South Virginia, they had a crapload of stuff as of yesterday. Plus like above mentioned, there is Twin City Surplus, they have a lot shade structure stuff too.
**edited, there are 5 Home Despots here now, who knew. :shock: Pretty sure you can get all of your stuff.
LostinReno

Return to Shelter & Camping