Truck Tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Truck Tent

Postby Anais » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Any feedback or thoughts on camping in a truck tent (a tent attached to the bed of the truck)? I'm thinking that this might be more comfortable than a tent alone.

Thank you!
Anais

Postby Pink Daddy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Haven't seen many of those in operation. A campmate lived in his truck for years at the Burn, but he had a hardtop camper shell. He strapped a mattress to the top on the way to the playa, then unloaded the truck, threw the mattress into the bed, and installed an A/C unit in the side of the camper shell.

It was a nice setup.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Re: Truck Tent

Postby essjay » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 pm

<bump>

Anyone have experience with truck tents? Thoughts?

Like one of these: Image

Is it worth it to spend the extra $80 or so for one of the canvas models??
essjay

Postby SnowBlind » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the advantage over a regular dome tent that sits on the ground?
SnowBlind

Postby Mr. Flintstone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

I rocked a truck tent last year. but I made a 12 x 30 monkey hut with the openings facing NNE & SSW then drove my truck it through facing SSW and laced the end around the cab. I also had the passenger side door rigged open to allow access to the cab and push the sides out while keeping the SSW end closed. I was completely dust free even in the biggest storms. Well until the wind did a 180 and turned my monkey hut in to a giant dust funnel that ended in the cab of my truck.
Mr. Flintstone

Postby Igneouss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:16 am

One of the few advantages of camping on the playa is that being on the ground is NOT an issue. In most camping you have to deal with moisture udner the tent. On the playa the ground is dry and there are no plants etc to transpirate water under your tent. Rain is rare and dries quickly. There are virtually no insects or non-human pests.

Then there is all your stuff to consider. If you are camping in the bed of the truck then all your stuff has to go somewhere else.

If you camp elswhere and own one because it's the right option then bring it. But I wouldn't buy one simply for Burning Man.

Cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 am

Igneouss wrote:One of the few advantages of camping on the playa is that being on the ground is NOT an issue.

Au contraire. Being ground level means that you are also dust level. Being raised up a bit with air space under you means the dust blows under you, not at you. I learned this with a box truck raised up a few feet sitting with the door open and watching the dust swirl under me but never coming AT me.

I would vote +1 for the truck tent..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Igneouss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 am

Dust has not been a problem for me but I can see what your saying.
Cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 am

Sleep in the truck tent and bring another tent to keep your stuff in.

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:44 am

SouthernExposure wrote:Sleep in the truck tent and bring another tent to keep your stuff in.

SE

+1
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby zupermike » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:03 am

essjay wrote:<bump>

Anyone have experience with truck tents? Thoughts?

Like one of these: Image

Is it worth it to spend the extra $80 or so for one of the canvas models??

I have this exact truck tent for my Tundra and I love it. Although I didn't buy it for burningman specifically I think it works great there. It was nice being up off the ground and away from all the dust as it blew under the truck. One thing about the adventure tent is that it doesn't have a floor. I actually prefer this because it allows me to set it up over other stuff if I need to. However no floor means that it leaves a gap open between the tailgate and truck bed. I just tuck a rolled up towel in that gap to fix this when on playa, when doing any other camping it's not even an issue. It does have some mesh parts under the rain fly but we really didn't have much dust at the end of the week. I suspect this goes back to being off the ground. It was definitely worth the $200 I paid for it.

+1 for sure
zupermike

Return to Shelter & Camping