Shade cloth for my tent - HELP!!!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Shade cloth for my tent - HELP!!!

Postby latinaburner » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Hey guys,
I need to get some shade for my tent - like yesterday! I was going to
get a carport (2 10x20's for $100 on craigslist!!!) but after thinking
about it I don't want to deal with extra weight, time to set it up,
and then having to deal with it after the burn. I just want to keep it simple. I was originally going to just go with a tarp but after doing some reading it won't work well without a monkey hut. (our monkey hut broke last year and since it's just my sister and I this year, I didn't want to deal with trying to make one since I didn't put it together)

I found a website that sells shade cloth for real cheap and they have
next day shipping which is amazing. - I just don't know how big I
should get it and what accessories to buy for it. If anybody can tell
me what I need for this tent: www.cabelas.com/p-0054659518235a.shtml
it's the 10 x14 one.

Here is the shade cloth site:
www.gemplers.com/shop/shade-cloth-b
So questions are: What size? What percentage shade? If I need to get
rebar - What kind? How many? I see there is an option for ball bungies
& Grommet fasteners. Should I get those? How many? Sorry for being so
clueless about this, but I dont' want to get the wrong stuff
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The man burns in 14 days!!!!
You are the master of every situation.
latinaburner

Postby BurningRando » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 am

If you don't have the skill to engineer a shade structure that can survive the playa, you should seriously reconsider the carport.

How inconvenient will it be if your structure fails on the playa? How inconvenient is it to transport and build a carport?

It's a matter of choice. What will be the better of the options.
BurningRando

Postby latinaburner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 am

well the guy i was going to buy the carport from said it took him and his friend to build one of the carports in 4 hours and the other one in 1 1/2 hours and all of the poles and canvas are together in boxes - plus he's not sure if he has the instructions and since they are in his storage right now he couldn't check to confirm. my understanding is that each carport is nearly 200 pounds. also i have nowhere to store them once we're done w/them. i dont want to spend half my monday just trying to put together 2 carports for one tent that just my sister and i are going to spend probably 4 hours a night sleeping in. we're in a camp and have a 30 ft dome and lots of trailers we can hang out in during the day. i just dont want to wake up sweating at 11am after playing on the playa all night until sunrise...

as for the shade, i can get one of the guys to drape it over for me and secure it with whatever rebar or stakes i buy, but i dont have the heart to ask them to spend half a day helping me put up a 20ft carport.
You are the master of every situation.
latinaburner

Postby BurningRando » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 am

Ok, now it does sound complicated.

Draping a shade cloth over the tent might help a bit but not much.

If that is the strategy, why not get a blanket or old blackout curtains from a thrift store for much less $$$ and just use regular office binder clips to attach them to the tent?

Setting up proper shade requires some kind of rigid structure to hold the shade cloth. It won't be simple.
BurningRando

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:17 am

sound advice BR.

making a shade structure, and securing it, is not easy, or to be done "half assed". It'll end up down the street, impaling hippies and such.

Don't forget, how helpful folks out there are.
If you show up with the materials, and, a great attitude (beverages or other incentives are also helpful), many folks are happy to lend a hand.

There are many very informative threads here, regarding shades and the like, including materials and stuff.

do a little research, be self reliant, and, it'll work out fine.

or not.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby robotland » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:07 am

Does your vehicle have a roof rack? If so you can use it to secure 2x4s and drape with shadecloth. (2000-pound shade structures usually stay put.) This year I've got a little ramada made with wood, steel and PVC that hangs off my homemade bike rack and features mylar-covered cardboard reflector panels!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 am

Steal a box of binder clips from work and attach an old sheet under the rain fly.

REI has simple shade tarps.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DrPeffer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Yes! For that matter: Why not set up your tent butt-up against your car, drape the shade cloth over the top of the car (securing it to the car), extending a lean-to piece of shade cloth over the tent? Then just stake down the corners on the ground. You'll be missing two sides of coverage, but as long as you orient the whole thing correctly, you'll have the car to block the morning sun (recommended), and the shade cloth to block the afternoon side.

You may very-well have to add some height to your car, but that could be as easy as setting a cardboard box with some weight in it on top of it. You'll also need a fair amount of extra cloth to cover all that area.

Eh? Eh?
DrPeffer

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 am

I like 100% shade and all sides being covered matters, though direct sun is worse.
gyre

Return to Shelter & Camping