First Burner, tent question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

First Burner, tent question

Postby Carl Constantine » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:06 am

i have just purchased my tent for burning man, a trango 2 by mountain hardware. its a small tent, 2 man, very rigid and very slimline.

i spoke to 2 different people from different tent stores and they both assured me this thing is bomb proof.

now im well aware that i will need to use different tent stakes to the ones that came with the tent. but am not sure if i can get away with maybe just 4 large stakes, 1 for each corner or will i need to use more? the stakes (and they are stakes, as apposed to 'pegs') that came with the tent are the length of your standard tent peg, id say approx 8 inches.

the fly sheet is never going to get blown away from the inner tent as like i say, its bomb proof. so providing the inner tent and floor dont move the whole thing is pretty sturdy

will the 8inch stakes stick in the playa or is it too dusty?

id really appreciate any advice anyone could give, thankyou.

heres a link to the tent just in case:
http://www.gaynors.co.uk/products-Mount ... 410006.htm

Carl
Carl Constantine

Postby phil » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 am

The tent looks good to me. I would not use stakes less than 10 inches myself. The top of the playa gets crumbly and it's sort of like driving a stake into gravel - no holding power at all. I recommend at least a foot, and I'd use 18-inch or 2-foot rebar on all the corners of the fly, with shorter stakes in the middle sections. shrug - it's a choice you get to make.

I bought a Moss parawing after the Moss factory rep assured me it would stand up to a hurricane. It failed on the playa. If whoever is telling you it's bombproof hasn't been to Burning Man, they don't know what they're talking about.

The Trango 2 looks like a good shape; however, without seeing the tent poles and without adequate stakes, I would't consider it playa proof. I'd guess with 5 poles, you won't have problems. I'd suggest getting a pole repair kit. Or two. (That's a short cylinder that fits over your pole - slide it down over the broken part and tape in it place.)

Good luck and have fun.
phil

Postby teardropper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 am

Hey, welcome. Pretty nice tent, real nice. I didn't see a lot of mesh vents. Looks fine. I've got a big shade that I use 16 1/2" rebar on. But I set up a tent about your size, nowhere near as nice as yours, kind of a storage thing, and used 10" nail stakes. One nice thing about the nail stakes is they have a clip on top that allows you to drive them all the way in. No injuries 'cause they're flush. I would say it wasn't real windy last year, so it was fine. If there was a big wind? I don't know. I tend to want to overdo things, but I'll probably use the nails again this year.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Hoolie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I've been using stakes like these without any problems:

http://www.amazon.com/10-Galvanized-Ste ... d_sim_sg_2

But I use them all the way around the tent, not just the four corners, and I run a couple guylines for good measure. These stakes are cheap, so it's not a big deal to get 10 or so.

Your tent looks solid. My only advice is to get it under shade so you can sleep past sunrise.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Isotopia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I considered a Trango. Definitely a little bomb shelter albeit a tad small.

I recommend you keep the fly on it during the day when the dust storms roll in and then remove it in the evening when winds die down - assuming you have a half decent sleeping bag.
Isotopia

Postby Carl Constantine » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am

looks like i need some bigger stakes then. thanks everybody, very helpfull people. nice :)
Carl Constantine

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:26 am

Why remove the fly?

Take note that many real tents have provisions for ties halfway down the tent for bracing, that also require staking.
If a tent is rated for 100 knots, it may be playa ready, as built.
Those additional tiedown points are worth using out there.
They are usually part of the 100 knot rating, on tents that have that.
gyre

Postby cablemonkey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:20 am

I use the biggest galvanized nails (landscape tie spikes) I can find at the hardware store for tent pegs. Has worked well for me.
cablemonkey

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:31 am

I climb...Mtn Hardware makes great mountain climbing worthy tents...if they're secured and properly guyed out. The 10" tent stakes are fine. Also try to position behind a larger structure to protect against the prevailing southwest wind.

Keep the fly on all the time. After dark dust storms are not uncommon. I'd also suggest putting the tent under a larger shade structure like a Kelty Sunshade (medium). The extra shade will keep your tent from turning into an oven during the heat of the day.

Me...I go with a cheap 11 X 12 X 8 family size tent...gotta have something tall enough to stand up in, plus roomy to store all my crap. Mine's lasted 5 Burns with just routine maintenance...YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Shelter & Camping