Will this tent work on the playa?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Will this tent work on the playa?

Postby Xain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:38 pm

What do you think?
I already have it, I set it up, it is VERY sturdy feeling.

please note it is NOT a regular dome tent... the way the poles cross make it very sturdy.

I am bringing eight 3' concrete form stakes (foam noodle caps)

I am bringing a king size sheet for all my stuff inside, and an extra tarp for in between the tent and rain fly.

I'm not too worried about the playa dust, just reducing it a lil.

target link copy and paste:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/18 ... n=B001O5H3 5K&AFID=shopzilla_df&LNM=|B001O5H35K&CPNG=sports&ci_src=10043468&ci_sk u=B001O5H35K&ref=tgt_adv_XSB10001/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA260_.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------
You know you're a burner when...
Xain

Postby Token » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Looks good. Sounds like you are prepared.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm

looks great, what specifically are you worried about?
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby trystanthegypsy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 pm

nope it will blow away and you will have to sleep in the dust. or on an art car. or on some random couch. or in some random hottie's bed. oh darn.

:lol:

(sorry I'm in a weird mood today...)
trystanthegypsy

thank

Postby Xain » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:14 pm

[quote="Homiesinheaven"]looks great, what specifically are you worried about?[/quote]

...mostly the wind, i keep hearing horror stories about tents being shredded and wizardofoz-ed away.

thanks guys, that's reassuring.

see you on the playa (this is my first year btw)
I'll be with LAIR OF THE LURKING @ 7 and esplanade, which I hear is a sweet spot.

see ya on the playa...

Xain
---------------------------------------------------------
You know you're a burner when...
Xain

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

esplanade your first year? nice! wind blocking is key. make sure you figure out where the wind comes from relative to your camp and have vehicles block it.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Cap'nTrevor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I bought my tent yesterday! I'm pretty excited.

A comfortable four-season tent that offers luxurious spaciousness and magnificent headroom, at a very reasonable weight-per-person. To attain this weight efficiency, it dispenses with the heavier fabrics and heavy poles used for full-on expedition tents. Nevertheless, it is remarkably wind-resistant. Velcro® loops on the inside of the fly let you brace the poles against one another at their crossing points, and several strategically positioned guy line attachment points on the fly allow you to tension the tent and fasten it firmly to the ground.

It features a stretch geodesic four-pole dome shape, with large vestibules on each end. The poles are all clip-system attached for lighter weight, plus the poles and the clip webbing are colour-coded to simplify set-up. Two zip-out mesh roof skylights, large mesh doors, and hooded window vents (one in each vestibule) allow effective ventilation to minimize condensation. Four full-length sleeping pads fit comfortably, and in a pinch, you can squeeze in a fifth camper.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302885947

I'm going to set it up and take it down a few times in the park next week so I'm confident on the procedure. Something tells me I might be trying to do it in the dusty dark with a beer in my hand, so I should have all the practice I can get!! :D
Cap'nTrevor

Return to Shelter & Camping