Those bafflings RVs

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Those bafflings RVs

Postby ZenoBoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 am

As luck would have it around this time of year. I suddenly find myself with the ability to go to the Burn. HALLELUJAH!

I will be joining a friend who is going in an RV this year. This is my 5th burn but first time in an RV and I am trying to learn all I can about being a good RV burner.

I was hoping peeps could offer some good advice on baffling the gennie on an RV. I've built a baffle box for an external gennie sitting on the ground but this is a different animal since it's enclosed in a compartment on the RV.

Do people just build a 3 walled baffle box and place it up against the RV compartment? Maybe just lean a piece of plywood over the compartment?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
ZenoBoy

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:56 am

Zeno, I too was worried about the noise level from the gennie of our RV since we were needing it to run to keep the coach cool for my son's medical needs. If it is a newer rig, the gennies are relatively quieter than some of the older ones.

Because it is already in a compartment with a vent, it is quieter than a free standing unit. Still somewhat noisy, I wouldn't let someone pitch a tent right next to it. Depending on your camp layout, park a car next to that side of the RV, leave room to service it if needed. With extended use, keep an eye on the fuel level in the main tank. You might want to bring some extra fuel, depending on how long you plan to use the gennie. I used ours about 4 hours per day for 5 days, barely put a dent in the fuel tank.

If both of you are new to RV's, make sure one of you knows about the necessary precautions, procedures, switches... and how to read the light indicators on the panels that relate to levels of the grey, black and water tanks.

Have an awesome time at the burn.
Nitevenus

Postby illy dilly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Nitevenus wrote:You might want to bring some extra fuel, depending on how long you plan to use the gennie. I used ours about 4 hours per day for 5 days, barely put a dent in the fuel tank.

Thats good to know.
What year is your RV, and/or what year is your gennie?
Were you just running the AC units off it?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:00 pm

The RV was a year old at the time it was taken to our first burn, 2005. I planned on the heaviest load on the gennie for just the air conditioner during hottest part of the day. Turned on for shorter periods for microwave food prep as needed or for water pump for showers. I made certain we were very frugal in gennie usage, mostly out of concern of campmates, ie; noise or gas fumes. I was almost paranoid of using it, not only because it seemed a crime on the playa but I didn't want to be one of those who ran out of gas on exodus.....hence the 15 gal stored gas cans that ended up gifted.

I kept battery operated lanterns inside the coach at night or just the occasional night light that ran off the systems batteries. I put a few solar powered lights outside of the RV to keep people from running into the side view mirrors and to have a bit of illumination. Started up the engine every couple of days to recharge what drain we put on the battery.

If you are using rented RVs, they should be newer models but I would check the hours on the gennie and plan accordingly.
Nitevenus

Postby gaminwench » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 pm

My brainy campmates make a PVC extension for the exhaust pipe, to carry the fumes UP instead of into our 'livingroom/tent space'...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Token » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 pm

There is little you can or should do.

Read the manual, learn how to run it, find the "high altitude" lever. Understand how it works.

DO NOT try to stuff foam, padding, old carpet or anything else in or on the compartment. You might just burn the place down.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby bauhaus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:38 pm

how do you keep the motor cool?
bauhaus

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:52 am

If you plan on running it for extended periods, make sure you check the oil levels fairly religiously. Not sure about newer units, but the older units like the Onan Emerald Plus series were actually designed to burn some oil while running.

Older units also may not have a low oil auto shut off.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ZenoBoy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for all the great advice.

I went out and bought those metal accordion dryer ducts for the exhaust.

See you all in the dust!
ZenoBoy

Postby ibdave » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:14 pm

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... stem/14041

this is what I have, but I have seen many home-made ones for much less.. The key to this design is the open space to mix cool air at the bottom to help the exhaust rise.. They don't reduce the engine noise, but the tents near by like the fresh air.. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:24 pm

IBD:
doesn't yours have stirrups, for fluffing?.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Token » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 pm

ZenoBoy wrote:Thanks for all the great advice.

I went out and bought those metal accordion dryer ducts for the exhaust.

See you all in the dust!

You wont be the first person to suffer CO poisoning from rigging up a Mickey Mouse dryer vent gizmo with the best of intentions ...

Make sure you know what your doing.

If I say "Venturi Effect" and your eyes glass over, just let the generator be and don't fuck with it.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby cablemonkey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am

most RV gensets are set up with their fuel hose pickups such that you can't completely drain the main vehicle tank by using it too much. If you're really worried about it, put 5 gal of fuel in a jerry can and worst case that will get you out to Empire or Nixon to fill up.
cablemonkey

Postby ZenoBoy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 am

WHAT??? No CO Poisoning this year?!?!?!?!
Ohhhh man. The burn was better last year.

I thought this was Burning Man, not Nanny Man. I never get to have any fun.

All joking aside. I appreciate the input Token. I am looking up the Venturi Effect now. I don't have my catalog of Mr. Wizard videos so I am not fully groking what I need to know. Air passing an open hole accelerates the speed of a fluid. I am trying not to glass over and I would prefer my vaporizer only glass my eyes.

If you feel generous I would love to understand. Otherwise I will find a costume that needs a dryer duct.z

Thanks
ZenoBoy

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Better RVs and generators have a good silencing box.
Most can be enhanced, but you do have to know what to avoid.

Check out these enclosed models.
First class design.
Vehicle acoustics can be quite different from static design.

http://fischerpanda.com/

Why would you start the engine to charge the battery instead of using the generator?
gyre

Return to Shelter & Camping