Taping up your tents mesh sections.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Taping up your tents mesh sections.

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:50 am

So I went out to tape up my tent with gorilla tape but it itsn't sticking well. IS there something I should be doing?
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 am

Take the dust off first. --grins--

Sometimes the waterproofing will keep the adhesive from adhesing. what's the tent made of?

You may have to sew and seam-seal instead - I know, it's pretty close to launch, but if you really want it to hold up... Nothing beats needle and thread. And if you set the tent up it's not hard to sew... esp. if you can get someone else to work with you, one in, one out.

Gottarun, work calls, good luck!!
bbs
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 am

I wish I could sew it but my sewing skills suck.
FaeTora

Postby Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:42 am

If you use the right material for the cover, the little "hooks" in Velcro can make it through the mesh and hook into the "fuzzy" stuff on the other side.

Vast amounts of safety pins is tedious but simple as long as you go through the mesh at the edge without puncturing the nylon.

Lots of small strong magnets can be used.

Goop. For a more permanent installation.

Large volume of compressed batting from a craft / upholstery store shoved into the space between the mesh and fly cover - no attachment at all, all friction based.

And many, many more.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:46 am

We use a blanket, quilt or comforter... thick, but not overly so, and clamp it on with spring clamps. Has worked for ten years. All our mesh is up on top.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:41 am

FaeTora wrote:I wish I could sew it but my sewing skills suck.

What, I'm some sort of seamstress, fercrissakes! Cut some old blanket material to fit the mesh panels. Using a sturdy needle and heavy duty thread stitch the material to the mesh panel edges with a close circular type of stitch pattern.

Bring your tent and stuff over and I''ll do it for you (before Aug 28, tho).

I couldn't believe how much that helped reduce the dust in my tent!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 am

AntiM wrote:We use a blanket, quilt or comforter... thick, but not overly so, and clamp it on with spring clamps. Has worked for ten years. All our mesh is up on top.

Yeah, then put the tent under the two carport, mega layered camo netting bomb shelter ...

Just putting that out there ;)
Token

Postby MoonSplash » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 am

Hey FaeTorra, I've used Gorilla Tape before and it worked great. What are you taping to your tent? If it's fabric, it probably won't stick as well to the fabric. I use the silver material used for car shades.
MoonSplash

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am

I do what Anti M does, but with those super light painter's plastic dropcloths. Costs about $3 at home improvement store.

Then get some of those little sprint loaded clamps.

I spread it up over the top, then add little clamps in a few places....

The Dropcloth is much larger than that space, so I just let it drape to the ground, but clamp it just past the mesh section...so it gets a skirt effect. I then put my rainfly on over that....

Worked like a charm for a few years.

Also bring an extra dropsheet or two and spread out over your inside stuff before you leave for the day. You then push it back out of the way for nice dust free living when you get back!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:29 am

dragonpilot - I would bring it to you but I live in Texas and your in WA so getting it to you befor ethe 28th isnt possible. And I have tried hand sewing before. I left for work and when I came back the section i worked on, well lets just say it was no longer sewed on. SO I don't think my sewing skills will not cut it.

Moon Splash - I actually used the gorilla gle tape but it wouldnt stick to the fabric of the tent itself. The matiral I was using, that worked, but it would stay attatched to the tent.

I am starting to think I am completely inept at this. I washed the tent, let it dry, tried to tape it, and before that tried to sew it. I am not quite sure how to use the clamps to hold down the fabric over the mesh though. or how close. anddoesnt the sand get in that way too? I mean between the clamps or is there an appropriate distance between them?
FaeTora

Postby Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 am

FaeTora, I love you, mean it! But you are DOOMED!

Go with the batting method. Go to Michaels, Joan's Fabrics or any other craft store in your area and ask for batting. It's cheap too.

If that fails, go to Fedex/Kinkos and get a shitton of those self adhesive pouches they use for shipping labels. They are free and use a glue that will stick to God and never come loose.

And if all that fails, just put a blanket over all you stuff before you leave the tent for the day.

This should not be that difficult.
Token

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 am

FaeTora wrote:dragonpilot - I would bring it to you but I live in Texas and your in WA so getting it to you befor ethe 28th isnt possible.

OK...this is going way out on a limb, but you bring the covering material (blanket preferred) cut to size, the heavy duty needle and thread, and I'll come to your camp a do it for you...my gift to you, Hon.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby FaeTora » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Are you sure Dragonpilot? I don't want to inconvience you.
FaeTora

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:32 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
FaeTora wrote:dragonpilot - I would bring it to you but I live in Texas and your in WA so getting it to you befor ethe 28th isnt possible.

OK...this is going way out on a limb, but you bring the covering material (blanket preferred) cut to size, the heavy duty needle and thread, and I'll come to your camp a do it for you...my gift to you, Hon.

I love burners. You guys rock.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby bluesbob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 pm

My tent has mesh panels at its peak. Rather than tape it up...why can't I just put the rain-fly on?
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm

bluesbob wrote:My tent has mesh panels at its peak. Rather than tape it up...why can't I just put the rain-fly on?

Becuase the gap between it and the tent will let a ton of dust in. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Token wrote:
AntiM wrote:We use a blanket, quilt or comforter... thick, but not overly so, and clamp it on with spring clamps. Has worked for ten years. All our mesh is up on top.

Yeah, then put the tent under the two carport, mega layered camo netting bomb shelter ...

Just putting that out there ;)

LOL, yeah. But it does work sans carport...
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 pm

I dunno, I need to consult with yourLarry on this ...

I could fire a cannon at your camp and not get penetration.

I think its a Utah thing. You just got the whole compound thing bulletproof. ;)
Token

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 pm

FaeTora wrote:Are you sure Dragonpilot? I don't want to inconvience you.

Yeah...like I got some really important stuff to do...heh! It may not be a date, tho, 'cause Monday's always a busy day setting up and the sewing can't be done after your tent's set up..you'd have to wait for me to show up and I can't promise to be punctual...

Look...just tell me where you're camping and if I'm not there by noon on Monday it's a no go. All I really have to do is show you how to do the stitching...but someone in your camp should know how.
dragonpilot

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm

I told her to just use the 100% silicone instead of sewing.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby swampdog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Anything you can't fix with gorilla tape you can fix with goop. Have you tried it?
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Return to Shelter & Camping