Shade for your tent (s) : using 2x4’s for support

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Shade for your tent (s) : using 2x4’s for support

Postby DoctorIknow » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Shade for your tent (s) : using 2x4’s for supporting shade material

When it comes to shelter at BM, without shade, you can have a mighty horrible wakeup call at about 8:30 to 9am, when your tent heats up past your body temperature! And shade overhead is fine for noon, but without “sideâ€
DoctorIknow

Postby Hoolie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 am

Sounds great. Any shots of the completed structure?
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby C187 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:18 am

I'm also interested in photos of the completed structure.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Token » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 am

FWIW, DrIK, what you describe takes a bit of craft to pull off.

You gotta know stuff, knots, angles, trigonometry, some physics etc.

This is why the Carport has become the least common denominator of structures out there.

But I like what your trying to do, demystify simple tensegrity structures.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:03 am

By time I finish attaching 5 different kinds of shade material, there isn't much to see in the way of structure! I did video my "double rainbow" shot, which shows one end of the structure (nearest the camera) from seconds 0:10 thru 0:13, but all you see is a bunch of camo shade, some sheets and one guy wire.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQDjT_pJtc[/youtube][/youtube]
DoctorIknow

sounds familiar

Postby igor47 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:49 pm

i actually built a similar structure last year that seemed to work pretty well, and i'm planning to build something like that again this year.

last year, we had two pi-shapes made out of 3 2x4s each. they were leaning away from each other, but couldn't fall outward because they were attached with rope along the top. they couldn't fall inward because they were guyed down. Basically, it looked like this from the side:
<pre>

The \\ and // are lumber, and the \ , / and _ are rope. I was worried about the feet slipping in, so I put some tent stakes down there, and then I draped a big 20'x20' canvas tarp over the whole thing. We had three hammocks hanging in that thing and it worked fine -- just keep all the lines taught. I would check on them in the morning when I woke up.

This year, we're building that in a 40' x 16' version. I found it easier to assemble by building tall saw horses -- only takes 2 extra 2x4s, it feels a lot sturdier, and it doesn't require people to hold up the frames while you tie up all the lines. We are going to build 8 saw horses total, 4 on one side and 4 on the other, about 12-16 feet between them. Enough room to hang lots of hammocks is the main objective.

Here's a photo:
http://igor.moomers.org/warpzone/photos/jeredhangs.jpg
igor47

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Great sawhorses Jered !

Are the pieces of 2x4 attached to each other with bolts?

And I suppose you use guy ropes on each end....is one guy rope per end enough or do you need two?

And, how many of those yellow handled three pound sledge hammers are going to be out there on the playa? LOL (Hey Burgins! All you need for rebar is that hammer and some vise grips to remove the most playa stuck rebar...really!)

DoctorIknow

Return to Shelter & Camping