Will this tent be okay??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Will this tent be okay??

Postby CirKel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:43 pm

http://www.rei.com/product/777759

The above link takes you to the tent that i bought a few months ago. I am wondering if this tent will hold up through BM? Its my first year!!

If anyone has this tent, let me know what you think!
Thanks.
When you jump up the Earth wants you back!
CirKel

Postby teardropper » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:52 pm

It looks like that tent has a mesh roof, or large mesh windows. Not so good for the playa. The dust will get in, a lot. You could block the vents with blankets or something. Or for the same money get one of the little Springbar tents. There's threads that talk about them. These are not back pack tents, heavy, well made, strong. Look at 'em.

http://www.springbar.com/explore/tentmodels/
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Token » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Well, you already bought it so the only thing to do us fix it desert fashion.

Teardropper is right, gotta close the mesh.

Go to a thrift store and get a cheap flanel sheet.

Drape the sheet over the mesh areas and attach somehow.

How to attach:

Binder clips and clip to poles.
Safety pins but be careful not to puncture the nylon, only through the mesh.
Magnets from hardware or craft store.

Get good stakes and secure the tent per instructions.

All these things should be dirt cheap if you shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby thesandman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:22 pm

look at whats called a 4 season tent or all season the have a very small amount of mesh and are fully closeable from inside i have a 2 person tent but you can get them from 1 to 8 person in size

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=8000&cat=4500001_Tents+and+Shelters&jxSeasons=3+-+4-season&hist=cat%2C4500001_Tents+and+Shelters%3ATents+and+Shelters%5EjxSeasons%2C3+-+4-season
thesandman

Postby phil » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 pm

I looked at that tent in the store and rejected it for BM because of all the mesh. Your mileage will vary.
phil

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:25 pm

mesh will be problematic, but the structure and windworthiness I think will be fine.
Elorrum

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:28 pm

if you do decide to use it, and don't block the vents you will get alot of dust inside your tent, but your tent won't get so hot due to the large amounts of vent area... everything has it's ups and downs when deciding on a tent. but really by the second day your going to be so covered in dust will it really matter....
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:14 pm

It took me four years to figure out, but if you get some good tarps, zip tie them togther and then basically make a cover for the tent that's well staked, it will be much less dusty. Also, be cogniscent of your surroundings. Can you use tall vehicles as a wind break? Which way is the door facing? Can you fashion an entryway to the door? I have a van so my tent faces the sliding door at about a 45 degree angle and then I use a tarp as an extra barrier.

Honestly, though, if you have time and thr receipt, I'd consider an exchange.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I'd also test it out in high winds before you go (if possible). That one looks fairly sturdy, but that's still a lot of area to catch the wind. Make sure to have a plan "B" too, in case that gets wrecked.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby thesandman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 pm

rei dose have a good return policy and their will made tents so you can just go back and switch at for a all season model thats made to keep more nasty stuff out
thesandman

Postby kickstart » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:43 am

I work at REI, and i would suggest that you return the hobitat tent you bought and consider getting one of the "4 season" tents.

As stated already, the hobitat tent will require some pretty hefty sealing of the mesh panels. With the design of the tent being a basic cube, it is already horrible in high wind situations. Couple that with taping up the mesh and you've got yourself a $300 kite.

I've got an REI Mountain 2 tent, which is one of the 4 season tents. Out of the box it is sealable from the inside. Last year at BM i had almost no dust inside the tent (other than what was dragged in on my clothes), and the high winds didn't even phase the tent.
kickstart

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:23 am

I have nothing to say about the mesh, but at least two burners (one couple, one bachelor) bring their Hobitats to our regionals, and love them.
C.f.M.

Postby big baby jesus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 am

CirKel,
Take the good advice from the REI employee and return it. My tent had smaller areas of mesh and fewer of them and by the end of the week it was hard to tell where the Playa stopped and my tent started.
big baby jesus

Postby Isotopia » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Not the best to sleep in during the day but the vestibule and lack of mesh keeps this tent of mine pretty dust free

Isotopia

Postby kickstart » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Yes, 4 season tents will be hot in the daytime, but then again if you are covering all the mesh panels on a regular tent it's the same issue.

Anyone wanting some good 1on1 advice for gear that is in the SF bay area, feel free to stop by the REI in San Carlos and talk to me (Jeremy). I'm there most days, but you can call ahead and ask for me to make sure I'm in.
kickstart

Return to Shelter & Camping