Anyone have instructions for building a Folding Hexayurt?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Anyone have instructions for building a Folding Hexayurt?

Postby clowdilee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi there. I am a newbie. A spot has come up for me in a camp with people I don't know and if they are happy for me to set up a hexayurt I would love to build a folding hexayurt before I get there and assemble when I arrive.

Has anyone got specific instructions for the folding 8' kind? I have seen the videos and have the instructions for the ones you assemble from scratch on site. In the quick video there is on hexayurt.com you just pull a string and it's up!

excited to meet all of you!
CX
clowdilee

Postby jkisha » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKS4yJto44Y

I know there's a fully pop-open model too, but it never looked like it worked exactly right in Vinay's videos. http://www.archive.org/details/RAW_FOOT ... d_Endeavor

Hope this helps.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:02 am

Personally I love this design:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itb3VG6zcdc&feature=related[/youtube]
-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Re: Anyone have instructions for building a Folding Hexayurt

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 am

clowdilee wrote:Hi there. I am a newbie. A spot has come up for me in a camp with people I don't know and if they are happy for me to set up a hexayurt I would love to build a folding hexayurt before I get there and assemble when I arrive.

Has anyone got specific instructions for the folding 8' kind? I have seen the videos and have the instructions for the ones you assemble from scratch on site. In the quick video there is on hexayurt.com you just pull a string and it's up!

excited to meet all of you!
CX

What sort of tools and building experience do you have? Are you handy? Have a table saw?

Which type of folding hexayurt do you mean? You say 8' hexayurt... are you referring to the width of the walls, or the wall height? 8' tall (wall height) yurts are much more involved to make than 4' tall yurts (wall height... center height is 8'). 6' tall is a great compromise, IMO. They're hard to make into one piece structures like you see in some of the videos, however.

Do you have a source for the rmax (or whatever you chose) panels? It's getting close to the burn. The 6" tape that's best and easiest to use generally has to be special ordered.

Everything has to be transported, too. You can't strap a 6' or 8' yurt to the top of a Corolla and get it to BM intact, unless maybe you live in Gerlach? Even a small pickup would be challenged.

You never just pull a string and it's up. Even with the folding varieties, there's a fair amount of work to be done on the playa. The walls that fold have to be taped... so it no longer folds while acting as a structure (the youtube videos don't always cover this... at BM we have serious winds, unlike inside a warehouse). On many designs the roof and walls are separate, and final taping has to be done to join the roof to the walls. And the yurt to the tarp. And there are also the tape anchors to consider.

Ours, with a master carpenter who built one last year assisting and offering tips where needed, took 4 FULL days of work, with many helping hands on deck, and our carpenter buddy did all the bevel cuts in his shop.

It can certainly be done in the time left, but time is definitely getting tight.

I'm pretty sure full instructions are available on the Hexayurt site and/or archive.org site. Read it all through carefully, make a list, and get started!

We'll be putting together a thorough Instructible on the step-by-step process of how we built ours, but it's unlikely that we'll have time before we have to leave to get it all posted in time to help you.
kman

Postby scotto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:10 am

Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Return to Shelter & Camping