Nail Spikes/Stakes or Playa Staples ever failed?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Nail Spikes/Stakes or Playa Staples ever failed?

Postby dewnorth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

There's somewhat of a debate regarding rebar vs. nail spikes/nail stakes, which I've tried to learn about on ePlaya. There have also been a few discussions about the value of Playa Staples.

I'd like to cut through some of the debate and get some real experiences (albeit anecdotal) by simply asking if anyone has had "nail" spikes/nail stakes (either 2 or 3 foot) pull out in the wind?

Ditto on Playa Staples (made by a fellow burner):
http://www.theblacksmithshop.com/playastaples.html

I'm asking for actual experiences rather than calculations / assumptions / etc.

(Supposedly, the big box home stores carry 2- and 3- foot nail spikes, but not in my area.)

Thanks all for your replies, snark and double entendre. If only I had a brain!
dewnorth

Postby geospyder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I use Playa Staples. Caveat - I've only gone one year but they worked great. So good that I got another set of ten. My tent stayed up while our pantry tent had problems. Don't know what was used on that tent but they failed.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby kman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:26 pm

If you can beg, borrow or steal a better grade of bending tool, standard rebar can be bent into playa staples as well.

Not to take anything away from fellow burners trying to make a buck, but they look exactly* like the bent rebar my buddy cranks out in his workshop... no forge needed. ~$4 each (plus shipping, unless you're local) for the nicely-made playa staples seems like an exceeding reasonable price, however, for those who can't get access to the right bending equipment.

*(speaking of the shape, of course; it's still normal ribbed rebar)
kman

Re: Nail Spikes/Stakes or Playa Staples ever failed?

Postby Chessna » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 am

dewnorth wrote:If only I had a brain!

^^^ The combo of that qoute and your avatar totally made my morning :D

I have nothing to add, since I'm a birgin, but I'll be watching this thread for replies. We're going with candy-cane rebar, but haven't actually bought/bent it yet.
Chessna

Postby Token » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:58 pm

I have used:

Rebar
12" Nails
Flat Concrete Form Stakes
Round Concrete Form Stakes
Auger Stakes
Cast iron pipe
Rigid conduit
Solid steel axles

They all worked just fine.

Sorry, I paid attention in physics class and know how to do arithmetic.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby sputnik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Since I fly in weight is an issue. I have used aluminum V-stakes from the local army surplus store for the past 4 years. 12". Never had them fail to hold.

It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Chessna » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 pm

sputnik wrote:Since I fly in weight is an issue. I have used aluminum V-stakes from the local army surplus store for the past 4 years. 12". Never had them fail to hold.

What size tent/shade structure do you use with these?
Chessna

Postby griffen » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 am

Tent Stakes...

I haven't gone to bm yet but I lived through 70 mph winds in the badlands... best study i have seen is....

http://www.tentexperts.com/pdf/StakingGuide_LowRes.pdf

suggesting it is the number of stakes you use and that you drive them straight into the ground not at an angle that is more important than depth
See ya on the playa,
War & Love
Griffen Agrippa
griffen

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 am

I have used rebar in the past for my shade structure and tents, and will also this year. But this year we are also bringing out large rugs, lounge chairs, etc... Will the metal stakes above hold down the rug if nailed through? Also, what would you say is the best way to anchor smaller things during wind storms, our absence, etc?
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

GageNdG wrote:I have used rebar in the past for my shade structure and tents, and will also this year. But this year we are also bringing out large rugs, lounge chairs, etc... Will the metal stakes above hold down the rug if nailed through? Also, what would you say is the best way to anchor smaller things during wind storms, our absence, etc?

I find a 5 gallon water bottle on top of most things makes them stay put.
kman

Postby Token » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 pm

GageNdG wrote:I have used rebar in the past for my shade structure and tents, and will also this year. But this year we are also bringing out large rugs, lounge chairs, etc... Will the metal stakes above hold down the rug if nailed through? Also, what would you say is the best way to anchor smaller things during wind storms, our absence, etc?

The really crappy wire stakes that come with cheap disposable tents work real good at holding down carpet. They pound in flat and hold well for the light load.

Be sure to wiggle the wire tgrought the carpet before pounding so not to rip the carpet backing.

Kinda like a tongue piercing; if you wiggle the needle through, you don't cut any muscle tissue. ;)
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:56 pm

Token wrote:

The really crappy wire stakes that come with cheap disposable tents work real good at holding down carpet. They pound in flat and hold well for the light load.

Be sure to wiggle the wire tgrought the carpet before pounding so not to rip the carpet backing.

Kinda like a tongue piercing; if you wiggle the needle through, you don't cut any muscle tissue. ;)

Good advice. Also, some sort of washer can help, if you have something handy.

The remnant discs of plastic left over from making my swamp cooler (attacking a 5 gal bucket with a hole saw) will be dandy for this sort of thing.
kman

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:57 pm

kman wrote:

I find a 5 gallon water bottle on top of most things makes them stay put.

Not volcanoes, though. For some reason...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
kman wrote:

I find a 5 gallon water bottle on top of most* things makes them stay put.

Not volcanoes, though. For some reason...

Works great for me! I find that once I put a 5 gal water bottle on top of a volcano, they almost* never get up and move away.

*note careful use of terms with "wiggle room", for those times that things work out differently
kman

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. This will be the 1st year we really put in a lot of effort to create a intimate space to lounge. :)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 am

Bump
TomServo

Postby kman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am

TomServo wrote:Anyone ever try these? http://www.backyardgardener.com/gp/Home ... Stake.html

Might be ok, but I'd trust metal over plastic any day, especially on the playa.

And those aren't even super cheap.
kman

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 pm

kman wrote:
TomServo wrote:Anyone ever try these? http://www.backyardgardener.com/gp/Home ... Stake.html

Might be ok, but I'd trust metal over plastic any day, especially on the playa.

And those aren't even super cheap.

I would too, but these are pretty damn thick. Been using T-posts for the past couple years, but they aren't really compatible with slant legged canopies.

Ill check our army navy store for steel ones
TomServo

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 pm

I use those orange plastic ones for guy lines.

Work swimmingly
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

1/2 inch iron pipe for stakes

Postby dewnorth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm

I've tried every place I can think of to find 3 foot spikes others can almost at the nearest convenience store. Absolutely no luck! I'd rather not use rebar. I've come up with the idea of using 1/2 inch iron pipe in 3 foot lengths to use as stakes (driven halfway into the playa) to slide over the 1 inch EMT conduit of my shade structure.

(The only thing I could do over and above that would be to pour concrete footings--that'll be for next year.)
dewnorth

Postby thesandman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:59 pm

thesandman

Re: 1/2 inch iron pipe for stakes

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 am

dewnorth wrote:I've tried every place I can think of to find 3 foot spikes others can almost at the nearest convenience store. Absolutely no luck! I'd rather not use rebar. I've come up with the idea of using 1/2 inch iron pipe in 3 foot lengths to use as stakes (driven halfway into the playa) to slide over the 1 inch EMT conduit of my shade structure.

I think you want concrete stakes. They come 3/4" dia, 18" to 36" and longer, available everywhere. Bevel the tops so they don't mushroom when pounding.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jennytoo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

I've tried the 16" hard plastic garden stakes.

They hold fine ... if you can a) get them in enough, and b) don't destroy them in the process (yes, really...)

Find rebar and cut it to size, or cement form stakes. (gigantic nails)

I've always heard that rebar > the form stakes due to price and ribs make it harder to pull out. Last year, we had both; the cement form stakes were REALLY HARD to take out. The rebar came out easily. Price is cheaper for rebar, though.
jennytoo

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 pm

jennytoo wrote:

I've tried the 16" hard plastic garden stakes.

They hold fine ... if you can a) get them in enough, and b) don't destroy them in the process (yes, really...)

Find rebar and cut it to size, or cement form stakes. (gigantic nails)

I've always heard that rebar > the form stakes due to price and ribs make it harder to pull out. Last year, we had both; the cement form stakes were REALLY HARD to take out. The rebar came out easily. Price is cheaper for rebar, though.

Ill save the post pounder for my T posts. Thinking a rubber mallet should do the trick.
TomServo

Return to Shelter & Camping