I need shade!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

I need shade!

Postby rgk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:02 pm

I don't want to buy a whole bunch of stuff for Burning Man, but I am bringing a station wagon and do have a bunch of painter's drop cloths I can take along ... does anyone know if or how I can attach these drop cloths to the open end of the station wagon for reliable shade?
rgk

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:09 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Sorry I don't know about how to use the canvas tarps you bought but someone surely will. Thanks for creating the topic though!

I need some shade structure advice also, for my new/low cost tent

so far;
A local regional burner suggested I use a newer costco tarp I have as a lean-to.
I could strap tie downs (in pairs) around my Yukon/suv roof and through interior, say a series of two, maybe three, shut the doors on them and attach bungee cords (rubber or cloth covered? i have both, does it matter?) also have scraps of climbing ropes instead of potentially dangerous bungees?
the idea is to leave some "play" for wind gusts

Finally I could use candy caned rebar and attach to the ground with bungee/climbing ropes. (I got a bag of stuffed non moopy animals for 25 cents each for rebar/safety at thrift stores too)

I would park the suv with it's back to the sounthern esposure.
as far as east and west facing goes, for this lean-to, i have no plans and was told eh, don't worry so much about east and west. get an eye mask for east rising sun. west? no clue/plan

Probably lame; I could maybe also just slam the tarp shut into the doors and back window and rebar stake & bungee/rope the tarp to the ground.

Also was told attach to another vehicle but not sure because I arrive Tuesday and don't know if I can count on that.

I won't cry if the yukon gets some scratches, it is an 11 year old TRUCK SUV afterall BUT hm, if anyone has any better ideas/improvements for this lean-to plan, please let me know. (sorry this is so last minute but original
camp(s) swicthed around on me a LOT!)
I am now in a theme camp, in center camp and they can accomodate my sleep apnea, a MAJOR MAJOR help, but I joined very late and they are super busy. I just discovered I need shade today! Also was told center camp ain't exactly quiet, i have ear plugs and I am stckin' with this camp, BRC Mobility!
eplayian burners have helped me a LOT, if anyone can give some words of advice please do!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Return to Shelter & Camping