BM vagabond-style (on foot/backpacking)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Jespar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm kinda addicted to them... The Quaker Oats Oatmeal Rasin ones anyway....

I do bring real food, well... things like beef stew, maybe a loaf of bread with a block of cheese... but I'll usually buy a shitload of granola bars and eat them regularly (forces me to drink regularly too!). I have a constant energy source, and can eat them on the go.

The only downside to them is the individual wrapper deal. I'd love to find a recipe for them, and make them in a pan like rice krispy treats - cut them into "real" portions (so cut the pan in 4 or 6 lol) and wrap them with something... maybe butcher paper or foil (burn the former, reuse the latter)?

I'll also throw in a few packs of ramen noodles, on the chance that I'm either hungry for them, or someone else underestimates their food requirements. They're cheap and light enough that it doesn't bother me, except for the bulk.

Then again, a 'weekend' bag for me consists of a poncho/shelter, nalgene bottle, metal cup (to cook in), a knife and leatherman, matches, first aid kit, whistle, bandana, spare socks, and a flashlight and spare batteries. Depending on the weather, I'll throw in a sleeping bag and extra set of clothes.
Jespar

Postby bdeywoo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm

I am a pretty experienced long distance runner, many ultra’s and a lot of training in that environment since I live in Reno. The 100 miles from Reno to BRC is very doable. However by yourself and for your first time at the event and with little desert experience….. you are asking for a whole lot to go perfect. One thing you learn is very few things ever go perfect out there.

You have three things going against you,

Problem 1, The distance…. with little desert experience while hiking/walking you really do not know how your body is going to react under that stress. You are going to be pretty well wrecked by the time you get to BRC. Sure you have done hike’s or run’s before but not like this I would imagine. It’s not flat going out there its rolling and you have about 10k feet of climbing and descending to be done on top of over 100 miles. Via car you do not even recognize it, by foot you damn well will. You’ll have ZERO solid footing as you will need to be on the dirt off the road, and that, as was mentioned earlier is inches deep and somewhat “slushâ€
bdeywoo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Granola is an obomination unto the lord, and bar form does not sanctify it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Lessee... figure a way to run a 3 layer shade/tent structure with a 6" to 1' separation between the layers - sounds hard but I can see how it's done. You need a space to call your own to get out of the sun - trust me, center camp sucks already, and after a week you'll be in tears. Ug!!!

I still say drive this one, and hike in 2011. Don't walk into the great basin blind - it has, and will kill without a bat of the eye. Chris McCandless’ ventoure in alaska is a cake walk conpared to what the black rock/high rock desert will do. Ask anyone whos lived in the Nevada Desert (and there are a metric shitload of us on this board)...

It's like tackling K2 as your first climb - ever. You can do it but the success rate is not good.

The water thing will frack you - even on the short hike from Gerlach/Empire, you need to carry enough water to get you by 48 hours. And you WILL burn water at a gallon plus, maybe 2 a day. Add - um - Gatorade or Emergen-C powder to that water, as your electrolytes will be way off the charts otherwise. (note - night travel is best.)

IF you go out there unprepared, and somehow they do let you thru gate, and get carted off by REMSA for being unprepared, it's an EXPENSIVE way to get back down 34/447. You do NOT want that bill. If they heo you out... well, if your last name was Gates or something, then yeah. And still, it would frack the Radical Self Reliance to shit... and burners will scorn you. In not a good way, either.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Jespar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah, that's the general impression I was getting.

Based on google maps alone, I figured the walk wasn't THAT long, but after reading stuff in this forum and taking a closer look at the maps, it's looking a lot longer than I had expected. I was hoping to adapt a shelter to the desert, but those hexayurts look really awesome.

I just can't call it camping/survival if I'm next to my truck lol

Thanks all for the advice, looks like I'll suck it up and drive! :?
Jespar

Postby Rice » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Welcome to the ePlaya!!

Thank you for putting off your trek for another year!!! ;) I was starting to get worried...

Please read the survival & beginner's guides: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ & http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm

I agree with bbs as to the doing it at night thing. You are better off staying on the road than hoofing it across the playa if you are determined to do it all on foot. If you hike on the playa you are going to tie up Perimeter folks who will have to pay attention to you the whole way to make sure there's no funny business going on. They might stop you just to make sure you know that it is a BLM restricted area, etc. but just show them your ticket and tell them you are hiking to the gate and you will be fine. They might even offer to give you a lift to the gate as that saves them from having to keep an eye on you.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Jespar wrote:I just can't call it camping/survival if I'm next to my truck

Then don't call it that. Call it a vacation, or a romp, or a crazy time or whatever the hell you want. Even car camping. It's another sort of doing stuff, that's all.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping