Carport Questions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Carport Questions

Postby Myliatronic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi all :)

I am thinking of buying a carport shade canopy structure for our camp this year and had a couple questions:

1) What is the best brand to go with? Is CostCo best or are they all similar in quality? Any recommendations on where to buy?

2) What is needed to make these playa-ready? Do they come with guy lines or do they need to be attached manually? How many pieces of rebar are required? Does anyone have a photo of one in action on the playa?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Myliatronic

Postby Trishntek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:45 am

We shopped quite a bit and found most of the usual retail carports are not made for anything more than "moderate" winds.

We went with the Rhino brand through Betty Mills dot com. They supply restaurants and catering supplies. Yeah it is expensive, but definitely last numerous visits to the playa.

Here's the link:

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/ ... 84805.html
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Zona_the_stona » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Any Costco carport will be fine. Use 8 pieces of rebar (one for each leg). Really tie it down good with good rope. I've used one on the playa for 5 years now and it's still in good condition. They only cost around 190-200 dollars.

Costco carports have the thick metal legs. Do not buy a cheap one from autozone with skinny aluminum legs. It will break during the first big windstorm. Good luck!
Zona_the_stona

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:26 pm

2 Costco carport frames making their 4th trek to the Playa this year.

I have long since ditched the heavy ass vinyl roof and walls of mine and utilize heavy duty tarps on the roof held on with bungee balls and wrap the walls in shade fabric. A double wall of shade fabric still allows the structure to "breathe" and cuts down on the dust invasion enormously.

I secure mine with the big ass orange groundstakes from Home Despot and ratchet straps.

I'll be trying something new this year as well. Instead of 2 20 foot long carports, I'm going to put 2 sections over our village potties and shade them and put 4 sections together for our kitchen, dining area.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ibdave » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:51 pm

CapSmashy wrote:2 Costco carport frames making their 4th trek to the Playa this year.

I have long since ditched the heavy ass vinyl roof and walls of mine and utilize heavy duty tarps on the roof held on with bungee balls and wrap the walls in shade fabric. A double wall of shade fabric still allows the structure to "breathe" and cuts down on the dust invasion enormously.

I secure mine with the big ass orange groundstakes from Home Despot and ratchet straps.

I'll be trying something new this year as well. Instead of 2 20 foot long carports, I'm going to put 2 sections over our village potties and shade them and put 4 sections together for our kitchen, dining area.

Hey Cap, I thought I saw something about you coming in style this year... What did ya get??? I have RV-envies. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I love car ports.
Depending on storage/cargo space depends on what type of legs you want. I prefer the ones from costco with the single piece legs, just cause its one less piece to have to put together. But you also need a 6 foot long storage area. Not really a problem with any sort of truck or van, but could be a pain if your just bringing a car. I have a Shelter Logic that has two piece legs. It packs down smaller and I can fit the whole thing into two 36" long duffel bags I got at the Army Surplus. Only reason I got the shelter logic is that I picked up off craig's list a couple months ago for $75 bucks.
I also found, last year, that darker colored ones(like CostCo used to sell, maybe they're still the same) stay cooler during the day cause less light comes through the top. My Shelter Logic is bright white, and I don't know how much UV it will block. So, I'm going to stick with the original roof, but I'm adding some of the good UV blocking tarp under the roof, but above the roof joist and ridge poles.
For stakes, get some rebar 18" long, I went with 3/8 (can be found at the local big box hardware). Put about 6" in a vice bend it to about 90 degrees, then as you start to bend it more, beat the hell out of it (near the vice), so that it makes a nice check mark shape and not a candy cane. If it is a check mark shape its easier to beat it into the dirt, cause you can hit it flat on with a hammer. Also consider taking an extra piece of rebar and bending it in the middle to make a real lazy V shape. It can be hooked under the rebar, grabbed on both sides and a good strong standing up motion will pull the stakes out at the end of the week (remember to keep your back straight as you stand up).
I'm with CapSmashy on the ratchet straps (I might also be with him on the orange steaks, I haven't seen these yet, but they're probably worth checking out). If you look around for ratchet straps, you can find bright yellow or orange ones, that have a reflective thread woven through each edge of the strap. I feel that this is reflective enough, that I don't light my straps. Make sure they have metal ratchets, plastic ratchets work fine for stuff just being held down to a pallet for shipping inside a trailer, but they wont stand up to the sun and heat. Get the straps as tight as possible then ratchet them tell their super tight. Then in wind storms watch corners of your carport magically hoover an inch off the ground but not go anywhere.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 pm

for Costco carports, I take 3' long rebar and pound it halfway into the ground directly adjacent to each leg. Then wrap rebar to support leg thoroughly with duct tape. This is a tip I picked up here on ePlaya and which has worked without a hitch during 2008's infamous all-day whiteouts and in 2009. DOnt have to bend anyhting, just use ice grips and twist rebar out of ground when leaving.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Or better yet, get 12 inch nails with washers and pound them through the holes in the feet of the legs, never have to fuck with rebar breaking or bending over the years, and never have to fuck with duct tape either.

11 years doing it and never had it come up at all.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby akmojo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:57 pm

I used 3 shelter logic carports last year.. 2 side by side with the center walls removed and 1 attached sideways in front as my bar and public area...
the costco carports are FAR stronger and use much heavier materials, larger diameter poles and will last for many Burns, the shelter logic ones have already had wall and roof grommets pull out and several of the plastic feet have cracked...
I agree with the costco ones heavier material providing more UV protection thus cooler temps.. my neighbors had a costco one and it was definately cooler... plus they seal up far better and less dust will blow in..
as far as stakes.. I have used rebarr but a campmate brought a bunch of 12"-14" eye bolts and they worked fantastic !! I believe he got them at Harbor Freight...
we used 2 for each corner and 1 mid length, tied rope from them to the top of the wall/roof frames and never had any problems, regular tent stakes can be used at each pole base to keep them from sliding..
I did park my 10' budget rental truck as a wind break though...
one might want to consider cutting holes and sewing in shade material at the center peak under the eaves so hot air can exhaust instead of build up inside... make sure the vents are on the downwind side !!
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

you can get this 12X26 carport for $209 at Pep Boys:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200333772

it doesnt have walls but you can lay it on its side thusly:

or as someone mentioned use a van or an RV as a wall/wind break. it has 2 inch poles and the box is 200 pounds so make sure you have help hauling it.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:50 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:you can get this 12X26 carport for $209 at Pep Boys...it doesnt have walls but you can lay it on its side thusly:

That looks just like a slightly longer version of a Costco carport without legs on one side...but I'm curious how they anchored it to the playa as I can't see anything holding the legs down.
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
Homiesinheaven wrote:you can get this 12X26 carport for $209 at Pep Boys...it doesnt have walls but you can lay it on its side thusly:

That looks just like a slightly longer version of a Costco carport without legs on one side...but I'm curious how they anchored it to the playa as I can't see anything holding the legs down.

3 candy cane rebar on the back poles and 3 guy lines in the front (ends and middle) coming from the top down to the playa. didnt budge in the high winds.
Homiesinheaven

Postby playagoddess » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 pm

We were ging to take 3 pop-up 10x10 shade structures, place them next to our RV and secure them with Rebar on the legs and guidelines. But this thread is making me nervous. Would we also have to buy camo netting or something? I have shade cloth but only enough for the sides.

Is this the type of carport people recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Pavilion- ... 526&sr=8-5

Perhaps we should abandon the 10x10s and get one?
first time burner BM2010
give me all your tips and goodies!
playagoddess

Postby playagoddess » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 pm

We were ging to take 3 pop-up 10x10 shade structures, place them next to our RV and secure them with Rebar on the legs and guylines. But this thread is making me nervous. Would we also have to buy camo netting or something? I have shade cloth but only enough for the sides.

Is this the type of carport people recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Pavilion- ... 526&sr=8-5

first time burner BM2010
give me all your tips and goodies!
playagoddess

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 pm

it all depends on what you can afford and how you build your camp relative to the wind. by the time i finish typing this a handful of people will post all kinds of fear based reasons to not bring structures with poles smaller than 2 inch steel. because of the weight those are definitely better if you can afford them.

i've brought structures like the one you posted that have been fine but needed smart guy line tying. the best is to go from the top all the way down to the playa for max support. if you position your RV to block the wind and tie it down good you should be totally fine.
Homiesinheaven

Postby Mojojita » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:for Costco carports, I take 3' long rebar and pound it halfway into the ground directly adjacent to each leg. Then wrap rebar to support leg thoroughly with duct tape. This is a tip I picked up here on ePlaya and which has worked without a hitch during 2008's infamous all-day whiteouts and in 2009. DOnt have to bend anyhting, just use ice grips and twist rebar out of ground when leaving.

This is a great way to go - we first wrap the legs of the carport with clear plastic wrap, then duct tape to the rebar - removeable with one swipe of a knife or scissors and no sticky duct tape residue.
Mojojita

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:52 am

Mojojita wrote:
Teo del Fuego wrote:for Costco carports, I take 3' long rebar and pound it halfway into the ground directly adjacent to each leg. Then wrap rebar to support leg thoroughly with duct tape. This is a tip I picked up here on ePlaya and which has worked without a hitch during 2008's infamous all-day whiteouts and in 2009. DOnt have to bend anyhting, just use ice grips and twist rebar out of ground when leaving.

This is a great way to go - we first wrap the legs of the carport with clear plastic wrap, then duct tape to the rebar - removeable with one swipe of a knife or scissors and no sticky duct tape residue.

Thats genius!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am

playagoddess wrote:We were ging to take 3 pop-up 10x10 shade structures, place them next to our RV and secure them with Rebar on the legs and guidelines. But this thread is making me nervous. Would we also have to buy camo netting or something? I have shade cloth but only enough for the sides.

I'd say go for it! Thats a pretty good price. If you think it will ship in time.
The poles are a little thin. But the poles on the EZ pop ups are pretty small too.
I like that it has six removable window walls, so that any one section could be easly rolled up for people watching, or venting.
Remember that with windows like that people can see in, so don't do anything stupid in front of the windows :wink:

And guy the hell out of it!
Cause they make a pretty good point of telling you it might get broken in the wind. The disclaimer at the bottom regarding wind, is a little long winded, so be very careful.
illy dilly

Postby Zona_the_stona » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 am

For the price that caport on amazon that playagoddess linked looks way too flimsy. I would pass that up and go to costco and pick up one with nice sturdy 2 inch metal legs. Judging from the images in the link, it doesn't look like it would hold up very well. I picture that thing being caved in by Wednesday but YMMV.
Zona_the_stona

Postby capjbadger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Poles are too thin and plastic junctions. Bad news.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby gtbsquared » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am

Costco carports have been discontinued for awhile - don't expect to be able to buy one new.

Anyone know any decent options besides Pep Boys?
gtbsquared

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:42 pm

This seems to be unpopular, but the DPW use them...T posts. They are heavy, and a bitch to pull, but no guylines needed! Buy a post pounder, a removal tool, a jack and duct tape. Your carport isn't going anywhere.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/M1195/M ... ost-Puller
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gtbsquared » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

http://www.amazon.com/ShelterLogic-Max- ... B000234K06

With the sad demise of the availability of costco carports and northpole party shades, I went with this guy.

Obviously I need to add rebar on the poles, rope for the roof, and duct tape everywhere for reinforcement. That oughta hold? I hope? If this thing is too flimsy and I'm kidding myself, I could still return it for a more expensive option.

Should I buy the "enclosure kit" - i.e. the sidewalls - or is there a cheaper DIY option? Shadecloth with gromits? Aluminet or camo cloth?

Thanks!!!
gtbsquared

Postby akmojo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Costco no longer carrying carports ??
thats new to me, I just bought one last week...
they are a seasonal item up here (Ak) but I know friends in the states that just recently bought new ones too....
I used Shelter Logic ones last year and there is NO comparison...
walls out of shade cloth would be nice but then you'll get far more dust, the Shelter Logic ones coverings don't overlap nearly as much as the Costco brand so lots of gaps and thinnner material so you'll get more heat thru them... I also have had many grommets pull out...
they are better than nothing IMHO but you'll see the difference with them side by side... I am going to replace mine with Costco ones next year...
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Re: Carport Questions

Postby nish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:46 am

Thanks everyone for the great pro tips.

Think I'll be using a 10x2 Shelter Logic w/ 2in frames. Hopefully that'll work well with lines securing it from the top frame. Here's a link I'm getting it from on Amazon for $339 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7 ... E0CFLN81HP
nish

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

How we secure our clamshell, which does not budge in high winds. The base carport is an old heavy one from King Canopy, not flimsy!!! We get stronger winds at our regional than we do on the playa:

Tensioner and the short back leg:

Custom spliced rope cannot come untied, no matter what:

You do have to put the ropes on the joints before you put in the poles and attach the roof:

How the back leg rope runs down:

These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

How come you put the cross bracing on the open side instead of on the canopy side?

It seems you could have the same strength and still leave those sections open. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am

FIGJAM wrote:How come you put the cross bracing on the open side instead of on the canopy side?

It seems you could have the same strength and still leave those sections open. :?

We could, the straight down behind doesn't take up space. The cross X cuts through the air space and takes up room which we normally need open. The back section is sloped differently than the section between the legs in front. We know it blocks the section, we don't want it open, we cover the X and use it as a privacy wall for a tent. We usually have two of these carports facing each other, with an open shade space in between (doubled camo netting over an EZ up frame). The three components make one consolidated shade structure; not open to the street, you have to go through the entryway we make.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 am

So the cross bracing helps support your privacy drape, got it. thanks.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 am

FIGJAM wrote:So the cross bracing helps support your privacy drape, got it. thanks.

Well, yeah, if you want to be succinct. :D
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Return to Shelter & Camping